forum

[Archived] Random unexplained lag spikes.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Dorkave
Problem Details:
I don't really understand how this happened all of a sudden, but the main issue is, as of lately, when playing osu, my game would have random lag spikes. The game's latency would suddenly raise to high levels, sometimes over 1000, and then my game would cut back to normal FPS and latency. In the middle of maps, it screws me up and I suddenly fail my map. I tried my best to fix it, by using fullscreen and windowed mode, and trying to mess around with the FPS settings, but to no avail, the game still spazzes out randomly. I can't seem to get a clear screenshot due to the fact these lag spikes freeze the entire game, making it hard to pinpoint the exact moment, but until then, if I can get one, I will post it.
Keep in mind that this had happened out of nowhere, and while osu! was only just okay running on PC, I didn't have any sort of issues like this until now, and it has nothing to do with my skins either.

I also have the latest osu! version, 20170222.3, as I'm aware.

As a side note, here are my specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU N2830 @ 2.16GHZ

Installed Memory RAM: 4.00 GB (3.88 usable)

System Type: 64bit Operating System

Pen and Touch: Pen Support
Dntm8kmeeatu
Have you restarted your computer since these issues arose?
Topic Starter
Dorkave
I have restarted my computer ever since, and it seems those don't do the trick for me.
Dntm8kmeeatu
Disable all background programs / processes that aren't required (Like core OS system processes or Drivers)
But do close any extra programs and things like anti-virus, and see if the lags still happen.
Topic Starter
Dorkave
Do I do that through Task Manager?
Dntm8kmeeatu

Dorkave wrote:

Do I do that through Task Manager?
You can.

Don't close anything that you aren't sure is a required process though.

But if the program running has a interface, just close it there.

As for Anti-virus, you could probably just "Disable" it via the programs interface. Randomly closing or killing the process probably isn't the best idea.
Topic Starter
Dorkave
I tried to disable / end tasks I knew I didn't need (keep in mind, it was hard to decide which were important and which one weren't) while playing osu! like Avast, Gamejolt, etc, but the lag still occurred. But, I wonder, if the background processes didn't effect the game when it was working fine, why would it be causing the game to start these lag spikes?