forum

[Archived] Honestly, how does one start mapping?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Nzuria
Problem Details:

Recently I've been thinking about attempting to learn mapping; it seems fun and there's lots of great mappers. But, how does one start? I don't mean "Help, what does this interface with tons of buttons mean" kind of start, rather, how does one learn to actually express a song with a map? I've played a lot of maps myself, and can sort of understand basic concepts, but I'm having trouble trying to understand them from a mapper's point of view.

I'd really appreciate any feedback/advice people could give me ^^

osu! version: 20170222.3 (latest)
Caput Mortuum
The only way to know that is through people's input. And that is making your own map and then get some mods.
Sandy Hoey
I always wanted to get into it, but is a hard learning process so I never got into it. Best of luck!
7ambda
You read the wiki.

You watch tutorials.

You look at other people's maps.

You experiment.
Topic Starter
Nzuria

F1r3tar wrote:

You read the wiki.

You watch tutorials.

You look at other people's maps.

You experiment.

Isn't the wiki, like, really outdated though? I've watched some videos, (mainly Pishi's series), but they're only helpful to an extent.
Dntm8kmeeatu
I think you get the hang of things through time and experience. Just keep making maps, just keep trying new things. Talk and hang out with mappers.
Topic Starter
Nzuria
I would love to have time to put towards gaining experience, but school and life have me really busy right now. I only have a few hours over the weekends really to put towards it.
o x
They told you what to do, it's up to you how much time it want to put in. There isn't any trick to bring a good mallet overnight.
FiddleBlue
Well nobody can map a great map in a single day. Just make a map first and get modders to mod it. As you check each mod, you'll learn a thing or two. As you do this you'll gain experience, on what to avoid and better options.