forum

[Archived] How is difficulty determined?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
caim1231
So, I've been really curious as to how difficulty is determined in osu!mania. I can play and pass blastix riotz (3.51 star) but I can't beat "She sings in the morning" (3.15 star). Is the star rating accurate or is it just an approximate based on an algorithm?
Dntm8kmeeatu

caim1231 wrote:

just an approximate based on an algorithm?
Basically, Yeah.

Obviously, Some certain "Patterns" and styles of mapping will be harder than others, and won't be represented in Star Rating. SR is good to just get a general idea of how hard a map is, and normally is accurate enough with most maps.

Also, are you playing auto-converts and comparing them to actual mapped mania maps? The outcomes are vastly different.
Topic Starter
caim1231

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

caim1231 wrote:

just an approximate based on an algorithm?
Also, are you playing auto-converts and comparing them to actual mapped mania maps? The outcomes are vastly different.
Honestly, I have no idea what a convert is. I just kinda download a bunch of packs and random maps and try the ones near my comfortable star rating. In case you can't tell, im kinda new to this game. (Only been practicing mania for a week. never played a rhythm game before this.
Sandy Hoey
A convert is a map that was originally made for the osu!standard gamemode, but is converted by the game to play in the other game modes (mania, taiko, CtB).
Caput Mortuum
Auto converts are maps that can be played in all modes.
While mania specific maps are maps made for mania specifically. In the beatmap section you will see a piano icon beside the title.
Dntm8kmeeatu
You can also type "mode=mania" in song select to show actual non-convert maps.