forum

[Archived] Cursor smoke, massive frame drops.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
gman
This picture speaks for itself --> https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/7449924
I did this for testing purposes and was quite surprised. From over 2000fps to just 80fps doesn't seem right to me. Is this actually normal?

My computer specs:
MOBO: GA-B150M-DS3H
CPU: i3-6100 3,7Ghz
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050 TI 4GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR4-2133Mhz
PSU: Seasonic S12II 520W
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 64MB 7200RPM
Sandy Hoey
If you do this again, do you still lose frames? If you do, open task manager and see if osu! is causing it

Or maybe just dont draw with smoke... at least that much
Topic Starter
gman

Sandy Hoey wrote:

If you do this again, do you still loae frames? If you do, open task manager and see if osu! is causing it

Or maybe just dont draw with smoke... at least that much
Yes, I'm able to replicate this. And I don't usually add smoke, I just did this for testing purposes. A friend of mine doesn't lose any frames though, which surprised me because my system is new.
o x
I'm pretty sure it's because you added an excessive amount of smoke on a small resolution.
Topic Starter
gman

Cawub wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's because you added an excessive amount of smoke on a small resolution.
Why would the resolution matter though? Though even if this causes it, I can't test it on a higher resolution sadly.
o x
More smoke for a smaller area it's a lot to process. I don't really see how this is a problem though since why would you need to use that much smoke? You said you use it for testing purposes I'm assuming you mean testing the colour of it so an excessive amount of smoke generally wouldn't be used.
Does the massive frame drop only happen when you use smoke like that? Or does it happen no matter what amount of smoke you use.