forum

Why there aren't so much light novel readers?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Bastica
Maybe books aren't their stuff?
hong kong best
most light novels aren't translated and even if they are, most of them get removed. it sucks :(
Caput Mortuum
Because most "otakus" are in because of the anime/manga. Most book lovers read actual full sized novel.
Foxtrot
If light novels were more easily accessible in most bookstores, maybe they'd be a more popular medium. Right now the amount of completed works are not many iirc, and a lot of projects have been dropped after a couple of chapters. Light novels just do not have the same appeal as a manga for most people I guess
Hibiya-chan

Bastica wrote:

Maybe books aren't their stuff?
In my case, yeah. The reason why I also don't read manga much but a few months ago, I started reading light novels just for the sake of comparison with their anime adaptations and I must say, they're really promising in terms of story.
neonat
There are still a good number of people who read light novels, not everyone goes everywhere to advertise and proclaim that they do
Rizevim

hong kong best wrote:

most light novels aren't translated and even if they are, most of them get removed. it sucks :(
True. :(
Naru20
There's a lot of writers/publishers afraid of trying new themes and settings, releasing only what they think would sell well, so some people are also plain lazy to find something interesting among them, especially if they don't something of the overused themes like clubs, game fantasy, fanservice or something else, and the fact there's not too much translated makes it worse. But if people do put some effort, the will encounter something good.
Foxtrot

Foxtrot wrote:

If light novels were more easily accessible in most bookstores, maybe they'd be a more popular medium. Right now the amount of completed works are not many iirc, and a lot of projects have been dropped after a couple of chapters. Light novels just do not have the same appeal as a manga for most people I guess
Also most LN are horrible
Zedek117
Same reason I don't read the Young Adult genre. Most of it just isn't that good. I mean there are some gems that pop through every now and then but those get manga/anime adaptions. Also something I feel is really important, as a non-Japanese speaker I feel a lot of the prose and subtlety is lost in translation.