forum

[Archived] Black screen after score-screen; score not registered

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Icicle Fall
Problem Details:
Hi, about a week or two ago I started having a problem with osu black-screening every so often after I escape out of a score-screen. Whenever this happens the score won't submit, and is not even saved locally. If I try to F2 to save the replay before escaping out I just get an error. I've seen others having the same problem, but it's never been resolved AFAIK.

I can still F9/F8 to bring up players and chat, but didn't check if I could actually do anything.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

The score-screen when pressing F2 and F12:

The black-screen (not much to see here):

I forgot to screenshot it, but when you scroll down to see the online ranking stuff on the score-screen, it's just stuck at submitting (or whatever it says).

osu! version: 20170103.2 (latest)

E: First screenshot won't work; here's the link http://cdn.shigetora.pw/i/gnqyvjm.png
Topic Starter
Icicle Fall
It just happened again. Here's what it looks like when scrolling down:

This time it didn't even try submitting the score, and it was still not saved locally, either.

I could use the F9-menu (don't know what it's called) normally, but osu would no longer let me screenshot, and came with an error when trying to screenshot anything after that, which was kinda odd.
Topic Starter
Icicle Fall
Bump.

It just happened again. This time I pressed F9, and after trying to close one of my chat windows, osu! froze for about 10 seconds, then it crashed.
Topic Starter
Icicle Fall
Ok, now it just happened in a multiplayer match. The black-screen came right when the score screen was supposed to appear. This time after right-clicking on the osu icon, and pressing "Close Windows" twice, the game put me back in the multi lobby instead of closing. However, when checking on my userpage for the score, it was still not registered (wonder what the others saw on the result screen). After that I played another map in singleplayer just to see that osu still functioned normally, and everything is fine (never closed osu! during this).
Dntm8kmeeatu
You don't have anything shady running in the background when attempting to submit scores do you?

Also do me a favor and not use a stupid Userpage Banner like that again K thx.
Topic Starter
Icicle Fall

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

You don't have anything shady running in the background when attempting to submit scores do you?

Also do me a favor and not use a stupid Userpage Banner like that again K thx.
No, I don't have anything running that would interfere with osu AFAIK, or any other "shady" stuff for that matter. I did copy over the data folder, song folder, replay folder and skin folder over from an other installation of osu maybe a week or two before this started happening though. Could this have corrupted any game files?

I might try to reinstall osu from scratch and backing up my skins and songs etc., and see if that helps, if I'm not able to fix it any other way.

BTW it also happens somwhat sporadically, like sometimes I go a day or two with no problems, while other times it happens like 2-3 times in a day.
Topic Starter
Icicle Fall
I don't know if this is related, but I just got this error message after osu froze while loading in a beatmap.

My ram usage was under 50%, so this is a bit strange. Maybe there was a memory leak for a few seconds or something (just thinking out loud, I have no idea if this could be the case)?

I think I'm just going to reinstall. What is a safe way to reinstall without loosing any replays, songs etc? Can I just paste the folders with my personal stuff into the new installation?
Dntm8kmeeatu
Have you tried repairing osu! ? Hold shift when launching and you should be able to do it there.

How much installed and usable memory do you have?

If you plan to reinstall, everything should be interchangeable. So save everything you think you might need. Reinstalling is never recommended and normally is a last ditch effort. But if you do, back up everything you may need.
Topic Starter
Icicle Fall

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

Have you tried repairing osu! ? Hold shift when launching and you should be able to do it there.

How much installed and usable memory do you have?

If you plan to reinstall, everything should be interchangeable. So save everything you think you might need. Reinstalling is never recommended and normally is a last ditch effort. But if you do, back up everything you may need.
Repairing was the first thing I tried, but it didn't do anything.

I have 15.9GB usable memory, and 7. something was in use right after this popped up. I haven't had any black-screnn problems for a few days now, but I'm reinstalling if/when it happens again. I'll give an update if the problem persists even after reinstalling.

Thanks for the help and the complementary silence. Hope the banner is fine now.
Dntm8kmeeatu

Evalion wrote:

Thanks for the help and the complementary silence. Hope the banner is fine now.
You're Welcome.

Just to make sure it's not interference from some program somehow, if it happens again. Before uninstalling or attempting any other fixes. Disable ALL background program and processes that aren't OS required or things you need (like graphics drivers whatnot) but things like Anti-virus and the lot should be closed, just to see if it continues to happen.