forum

Mascot

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +4
Topic Starter
Vanilla_old_1
Hey Osu! player. ;D I just found a cool beatmap with dancing avatars. :3 (http://osu.ppy.sh/s/21342)
So I thought about a alternative mascot, which will be played in every map you play. (Can be disabled ofc.) There will be a standard mascot, but you can change it if you want. ( Just replace with another cool .png) I just renamed a .png of mine and renamed it to the same in the beatmap just to test it and it was really awesome!! It was just the storyboard thought. But still unique.
Do you think it should be added? I really do. ;D
Sander-Don
I think i know what you're talking about...having like, little background dancers while playing?
If so, that would be a great feature imo.
Sadly i don't have any votes left.
Topic Starter
Vanilla_old_1
Yeah, that's exactly what I mean. ;D
Luna
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=54862
Basically the same request, as you can see this *might* be implemented some time in the distant future, but for now we'll have to storyboard them~
Sander-Don
ffffffuuuu~
Daru
This is has been in the works for a while, but it's at a standstill.

It's not exactly the implementation you're suggesting (You're suggesting animated .png's, the one that's been worked on is a rendered 3D Pippi), but you or anyone else is welcome to pick up where it left off.
MLGnom
Nah, point of this suggestion is making mascot something like "Pippi-don" in Taiko but to be in osu! standard (skinnable or something).
Topic Starter
Vanilla_old_1
Yah, they should dance! ;D
awp
It's been on the to-do list forever. Unfortunately, it can't be pulled out of thin air. Of the 700,000+ registered users, 0 of them have produced a completed model that can be integrated into the game (though some have come close). That's kind of necessary.
Topic Starter
Vanilla_old_1
Hm, if that's the problem, I guess I can ask around then~

EDIT: What about this one?
Torran

Vanilla wrote:

EDIT: What about this one?
Isn't Loginer working on it?
Topic Starter
Vanilla_old_1
We didn't mean 3D Models. If you play the beatmap, u'll get it. :3
Daru

Vanilla wrote:

We all know what Smoooch is.

Though, I personally don't feel like animated .png's are the right approach to this. It simply doesn't fit the game in my opinion - It works with smoooch because the original beatmania song and the Vocaloid spinoff had the animation in the video, and with Taiko because the original Taiko game had them. osu! is most akin to Ouendan or EBA, which use 3D models and animated sprites of a very different nature, so it would feel off to me.

As has been pointed out, though, the 3D model development is at a standstill.
awp

Daru wrote:

Vanilla wrote:

We all know what Smoooch is.
? Huh? Oh, the OP beatmap
LuigiHann
I do think that animated 2D characters are awesome and often adorable, but in order for them to work they basically need to be SB'd in by hand, so I don't think there's any way to just flip a switch and have them do anything interesting. I suppose you could have a default dancer that just does a simple looping animation to the beat of the song, but that would get old fast
ziin
awp

ziin wrote:

This (and variations thereof) has been trying to become old for like 6 years now, but it's still adorable