forum

Competitive Multiplayer

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Daru
Simply put, a multiplayer mode wherein you gain experience for winning and lose experience for losing.

"Unranked" multiplayer as it is will remain completely unchanged; this is a separate activity.

You enter the mode and choose a tier (Like Easy, Medium, Insane, etc.), and are randomly assigned with another person within that tier's waiting room, and you cant then pick a song from that tier's song list. You have a "level", as does your opponent. Winning grants you experience, while losing has you lose experience, with the amount determined by the difference in levels. The lower tiers will have level caps, or will grant less experience as opposed to higher tiers, as incentive for better players to play a tier more appropriate for them instead of consistently winning against less experienced players in a lower tier. There would be a separate scoreboard to keep track of Multiplayer levels.

There are lots of gaps to fill in - how many songs are in each tier, how many tiers there are, how the songs are chosen, how many people can join a room, etc., but the general idea is that of a "ranked" multiplayer mode that makes cheating very difficult or impossible.
those
Similar to Multiplayer level on flashflashrevolution?
Waryas
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=53636
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=54586
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29780

Can't we combine all four ideas into a huge one for the new ranking system sorta?
ziin

JesusYamato wrote:

http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=53636

Can't we combine all four ideas into a huge one for the new ranking system sorta?
No. We can't. Too much work.
maay
I'm always up for improving multiplayer games, and I like the ranking system your proposed as well... poor Backfire wouldn't last long in your example, though.
Topic Starter
Daru

JesusYamato wrote:

http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=53636

I feel like the clans ideas wouldn't really blend well. I mean, they're not really that similar; I don't see the relationship.
Wishy
Adding a Warcraft 3 ladder system would combine them all. You get team matches and individual matches, you obtain exp when winning and lose while losing, you get matched with people in the same tier than you and shit, problem is how to set up what songs should be played at each tier, since saying "lvl 1-10 plays easy, 10-30 normal, 30-50 hard and 50+ insane" would be horrible, since tbh I don't feel like playing anything below insane, maybe use as a basis the ranked score each player has or something? Like if you have over X score you can go straight to insane or something idk.

Letting the users decide what diff to play is just wrong, the game has to decide that, and there got to be a filter to avoid high lvl people playing uber easy maps just for the sake of e-penis.
Topic Starter
Daru

Wishy22 wrote:

Adding a Warcraft 3 ladder system would combine them all. You get team matches and individual matches, you obtain exp when winning and lose while losing, you get matched with people in the same tier than you and shit, problem is how to set up what songs should be played at each tier, since saying "lvl 1-10 plays easy, 10-30 normal, 30-50 hard and 50+ insane" would be horrible, since tbh I don't feel like playing anything below insane, maybe use as a basis the ranked score each player has or something? Like if you have over X score you can go straight to insane or something idk.

Letting the users decide what diff to play is just wrong, the game has to decide that, and there got to be a filter to avoid high lvl people playing uber easy maps just for the sake of e-penis.
You obviously wouldn't be forced to play any difficulty you don't want to, but each difficulty has a cap or something similar.

That way, there wouldn't be some #100+ players grinding on the Easy tier to level up, because doing so would be inefficient and boring for them. You can be level 1 and start playing in the Insane tier if you want to, but if you can't play at that level, then you'll stay at level 1. Likewise, you can be level 50 and play the Easy tier, if you want, but nobody's going to want to play you, and you won't gain anything from doing so anyway.

The tiers idea was specifically so that you couldn't grind on less experienced players, as well as allowing better players to skip to a difficulty level more appropriate for them, instead of having to "level up" though difficulties like you said. A level 1 in the Insane tier will be expected to have skipped the rest of the tiers, simply because he or she has gotten good in Single Player. This is as opposed to a level one who's playing in the Easy tier, who would be more likely to be a less experienced player. A better player would be discouraged from starting out in the Easy tier because of the various restrictions as opposed to higher leveled tiers. While this may seem overly complex, I feel that it may be needed, based on how large the osu! playerbase is.

This is different from a universal "ranked" MP game, where all level 1 players would be put on the same level, regardless of their actual skill. I also think that giving benefits in the Multiplayer mode based on singleplayer performance (i.e. being placed at a level based on ranked score or something) wouldn't feel right.
Wishy
Maybe it could be done like you can't play certain difficulties when being over lvl X, so people grinding by playing easy songs won't ever go over a certain point.
Pizzicato
How abt PSR(public skill rating) system instead of experience?
also, +support
lkjl23
Wishy
Multiplayer is empty because it is not really competitive. You just join with some friends, chat play some maps, maybe comment about the map or top scores or you just talk about random stuff. Now if the game was competitive like it actually is in single player it would be quite different.
dNextGen

Pizzicatto wrote:

PSR(public skill rating)
NO
Topic Starter
Daru

Wishy22 wrote:

Maybe it could be done like you can't play certain difficulties when being over lvl X, so people grinding by playing easy songs won't ever go over a certain point.
Perhaps easy songs will give you less experience at higher levels, eventually approaching zero at a certain level?
Of course, we'd need a valid metric for how difficult a song is - the current star system doesn't seem to be accurate a higher levels.
Wishy
Making a song list like Lunah said on another post would be quite good, I'm sure nobody wants to end up playing those awful maps made when there wasn't even note snapping... plus you get to somehow manually decide how hard each map is.
Topic Starter
Daru

Wishy22 wrote:

Making a song list like Lunah said on another post would be quite good, I'm sure nobody wants to end up playing those awful maps made when there wasn't even note snapping... plus you get to somehow manually decide how hard each map is.
I feel like manually assigning difficulties opens up a can of worms.
You'd need multiple people working to assign them to each map, and even with one person, you may end up with consistency problems. If anything, a new or updated star system should be in place.
Wishy
Just pick up 3 somewhat experienced players to make the list and that's it, I think many would volunteer. Maps can be hard because they have retarded AR, or very high AR, high OD, jumps, spaced streams, there are lots of factors you have to think about when saying "how hard" a map is. That can't be measured by a standar system since not every player gonna have trouble playing the same maps. For example I can't do Airman but I can easily pass those goreshit stream maps, while I know some people who are just the opposite. The best possible idea I can think of is to get a few selected players do the job (if they want, of course). You don't need to be a super top player for that, just having a standar idea of the game (understanding what makes a map hard) allows you to accurately define how hard a map is.
Topic Starter
Daru

Wishy22 wrote:

Just pick up 3 somewhat experienced players to make the list and that's it, I think many would volunteer. Maps can be hard because they have retarded AR, or very high AR, high OD, jumps, spaced streams, there are lots of factors you have to think about when saying "how hard" a map is. That can't be measured by a standar system since not every player gonna have trouble playing the same maps. For example I can't do Airman but I can easily pass those goreshit stream maps, while I know some people who are just the opposite. The best possible idea I can think of is to get a few selected players do the job (if they want, of course). You don't need to be a super top player for that, just having a standar idea of the game (understanding what makes a map hard) allows you to accurately define how hard a map is.
Like you just said, though, players each have their strengths and weaknesses which will sway how they rate a map, which is why I feel like standard system will be more appropriate.
Wishy
Pretty much every somewhat experienced player understands even if they can do some kind of maps, they are still hard overall. Even when I get your point I think making an accurate diff system would be way too complex.
lkjl23
show more