forum

Can I watch for changes in scores.db ?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
CeilingWaffle
Hiya,

Is it possible for me to read scores shortly after they've been written to the scores.db file? I'm attempting to build a small app in C# which needs some way of knowing when the player has completed a map (including unranked and offline plays). I need read-only access to the db. The db files seem to be encrypted, so I have no idea where to begin.

Also is there any way of detecting when a player has failed a map, or cancelled their play (returned to the map selection screen)?

Bauxe
scores.db is not encrypted at all. The wiki has file structure: https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Db_(file_format)#scores.db

I believe if you watch the file for changes, you could detect when a new score is added? Might be a better way, idk.

As for last bit, you can use the window title I believe. A bunch of programs use it, and some are open source.
Topic Starter
CeilingWaffle
Ah, when I opened scores.db in notepad, I just assumed it was encrypted. I looked at in HxD (Hex Editor) and now it makes sense when comparing the data to the db format in the wiki you linked, thanks.

Unfortunately though, it looks like the file contents of scores.db is only updated when the Osu client exits. So I can't use it to watch for scores in realtime. I guess the scores are stored in memory? Do I have any other options for watching for scores in realtime?