forum

Beginner's Training

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Pokebis
Note: I'm just putting this together at the moment and it most definantly not where it will be eventually, I will add Tips by songs and more directions and such. You can still use the guide but it will not be perfect at the moment.

Have you just started osu! and downloaded a song you like to realize you're terrible at it? Plenty of people pour in with this problem so I'm offering a solution- A simple guide that direct you to songs that will help improve your skill level. In other words, Beginner's Training.
Basically I will show you good maps to learn from so you can progress into the magical world of osu!
I will put this together in steps each step doesn't need to be followed precisely, but is a general blueprint of how to get started and practicing.

In steps I will list maps in an order, by no means you actually have to play in order but this is what I suggest.

STEP ONE: The Beginning
Welcome to the osu! Hotel!! My name is Pokebis and I will serve as your guide! :)
If you're new to osu! and have no idea where to start Step 1 is certainly the right direction!
Here you will learn general beat hitting, hitting to rhythm, hitting to vocals, and some minor mouse control.
Welcome to the world of osu! :D
Your Rhythmical adventure begins here.

Also remember to look at the mode I'm suggesting, these are all easy maps.

1) ORANGE RANGE - Ikenai Taiyou [Beginner] --This is a really good welcome map to your wonderful osu! journey! Click the circles when the shrinking circles overlap; those are called beats. The circles that extend are called sliders; they do the same thing except a ball comes out; keep your mouse button held and move the cursor over the ball in till it reaches the end! When a large circle appears on the screen hold down the mouse button and spin the cursor in circles, this is called a spinner and if you are fast enough you may pick up some bonus points! Also when none of the things I mentioned earlier appear and a painted circle or X appears don't do anything, it's a break you can rest.This song is good to learn the basic skills, if you find it too easy you can skip to #4.
2) Silvertide - Devil's Daughter [Easy] --This map is good for practicing spinners.
3) Steel Angels - Kiss Kara Hajimaru Miracle [Easy] -- This map is a really good foreshadow of what's to come. Try to click to a repeating beat.
4) Catherine Warwick - Pollyanna (I Belive In You) [Easy] -- This is where the real fun begins. Try to find patterns within the song to help you follow them.
5) Neon Genesis Evangelion - Cruel Angel's Thesis [Rei (Easy)] -- Really listen to the music in this map as it goes along. This is where the beats are really relevant to the song and you need to listen to the song to know when to hit them. This map also introduces double beats which are beats on top of each other. You'll know when you see them.] Also watch out for 1-2-3 combo's that go back and forth, they can be tricky. Also the notes are smaller now, but still pretty large compared to harder maps.
6) Jonathan Coulton - Code Monkey [Easy] -- This map is a really great display of how to follow the tempo of a song.
7) Nights: Journey of Dreams - Dreams Dreams (Will Version) [Easy] -- This map teaches you how to follow vocals in a song. Try and tap when they say words.
8) KOTOKO - agony [Easy] -- This song has a lot of sliders that repeat. If you haven't learned by now, when there is a bent arrow on the end of the slider that means to keep holding onto the ball the other way.
9) BrainCells, SnappleMan - Scrambled Eggman [Beginner]Mini-Boss alert! -- This map may seem a little tough, but if you can beat it that means your making some progress! If you have trouble go back to some earlier maps and brush up (also you could try and improve scores while your at it!)
BOSS) Hyadain - CRASH!! (Let's do it) [Easy]Boss alert! -- Now it's time to put what you learned to the test. Apply what you learned earlier as this map has a lot of just that!
BONUS CHALLENGE) Initial D - Running in the 90's [Easy] -- Here is another nice beginner challenge map, try it whenever you feel.
Step Two: The beat begins
Refresher) Arashi - Love So Sweet [Easy] - Use this map as a nice refresher for what was covered in the last step. Pretty Easy. Note that the heart-shaped slider starts going to the left. An arrow will pop up to help you know which way to start on that slider.
1) All American Rejects - Swing Swing [Easy] - Now you may want to start taking into consideration beat spacing. Beat spacing usually is a very helpful way of knowing when to hit a beat. If beats are closer together, you should try to hit them within a shorter amount of time. If beats are far away. allow a longer amount of time to hit them. Also allow spacing to help you identify patterns that may occur in different ways. Also note the little circles that connect each beat. They always follow to the beat right after it, so use this to identify the order in which to hit the beats.

2) Alestorm - Nancy The Tavern Wench [Teatotaller]
3) Hatsune Miku - Miku Miku ni shite ageru [Easy]
4) The Wingless - All the World in One Girl [Easy]
5) The Black Mages - Battle Theme (Final Fantasy VI) [Easy]
6) Michiru Yamane/Masahiko Kimura - Bloody Tears [Easy]
7) Animal Crossing - DJ KK [Easy]
8) Hatsune Miku - THIS IS SPARTAAA!!! [Easy] Mini-Boss Alert!
9) TAITO - Snow Melt Into Water (JET de GO!) [Easy]
BOSS) Puffy Ami Yumi - K2G [Easy] Boss Alert!!
BONUS CHALLENGE) Jakazid - Cillit Bang (Hardcore Mix) [Easy]

General Tips
  • If you're ever having trouble figuring out how to hit some beats or how a combo is spaced look to the side of the screen on song select. There you will see scores that are either local or online. There is a button that looks either like a man or a chi-symbol at the top of the screen; it toggles local and online scores. Click on one of the scores to view the score page and click Watch Replay osu! will then begin replaying what that person did! Also when you finish a song, unless your computer has barely any space at all I recommend always saving your replay as they can deem useful to not only you, but others as well.
    Also If you're ever having any problems, feel free to drop into chat (F8) and talk to us, we are a really nice community! (As long as you don't say something dumb)
    Also Check the FAQ for more general answers.
Beatmap Packs
These packs are the maps in each step so you don't have to download them seperatly.You'll need Winrar to open them, don't worry it's free. Just extract the .rar folder in your osu! songs folder and you should be ready to go!
Step One
Step Two
fdtoonsman
I downloaded them. Thanks, maybe mah skills will improve moar!!!!!!11seven
Pheonick
Oooo, good song list. I like the 300 mix in there too.
luckydog_old
I wish I'd found this earlier. Great guide and thanks.
Tri-Edge
good job, I never found this till now, but now I have a pack my friends can play when just starting out... good job poke ^_^
ThunderQX
when i unpacked to songs... i cant lauch it in osu game what i can do?
blacksymbian
thanks for the tips.. Gotta download 'em now XD
Starrodkirby86

ThunderQX wrote:

Make sure the items within the song folder are .osz or compressed folders (Hopefully they're the former more).

Refresh the game by pressing F5. If that doesn't work, close the game and then reopen it. If that doesn't work, extract all the songs in another place and do the manual drag-and-drop...though these are just things I'm thinking of myself.

On training regards, I don't think I need this myself. ;_;
mattyu007

ThunderQX wrote:

Download something that can unpack .rar's (I recommend 7-Zip) and then place the resulting osz's into osu
Topic Starter
Pokebis

Pokebis wrote:

Beatmap Packs
These packs are the maps in each step so you don't have to download them seperatly.You'll need Winrar to open them, don't worry it's free. Just extract the .rar folder in your Osu! songs folder and you should be ready to go!
Step One
Step Two
Nobody saw this section? :cry:

Anyways, really sorry for lack of updates on this. School and other stuffs are in the way. A two week break is coming up for me soon, so I may look into this soon. I didn't mean to not update this for so long. And don't expect this soon either. I still have stuff to do. :o
LuigiHann

Pokebis wrote:

Pokebis wrote:

Nobody saw this section? :cry:
Nobody ever reads anything
[deleted user]
It is very useful for people like me who just started playing osu!
DeathxShinigami
Aww...Pokebis your giving the new users such an easy way to get an achievement. =P
LuigiHann
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Beta_old

LuigiHann wrote:

DeathxShinigami wrote:

Aww...Pokebis your giving the new users such an easy way to get an achievement. =P
What achievement
I did this and "agony" gave me the 500 combo achievement.

Might that be it?
Gerozephyrus
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Nack3R
I download them all.
for beginners excellent beatmaps =)
Aoitenshi
I wish i had this map when i start... Because my first map is Cross Time Hard! almost the 8th beat fail. I'm such a noob.
Well, For now I'm pawning cross time hard, lol.

Sorry for my lacking english.
Kevs
Thanks, These beatmaps made me improve a lot.
kuwarudo
show more