forum

Animate Spinner Metre

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +1
Topic Starter
theMikeAG
I think it would be nice if we could animate the spinner metre.* Why? Because the current way Osu! handles spinners is kind of limited. Right now, the spinner metre is simply a background image that Osu! reveals piece by piece from the bottom up. This works for the traditional Ouendan/EBA spinner metres, but I see a lot of great, potential ideas that don't work as is.

Like this for instance.
SPOILER
Cool Idea bro, but Osu does it wrong!

The way I envision it, the Spinner Metre would have up to 10 frames of animation, one for each segment of the original metre. It would animate as the spinner is spun, similar to the original metre.

*I'm suggesting this as an alternative to the original Spinner Metre, not as a replacement.
Shiirn
This is something that actually makes sense.
Ijah_old
I like this idea, perhaps it could be a feature you can toggle by editing the skin.ini such as:
ClassicSpinner=1/0
Topic Starter
theMikeAG

Ijah wrote:

I like this idea, perhaps it could be a feature you can toggle by editing the skin.ini such as:
ClassicSpinner=1/0
That's what I was thinking.
MLGnom
Well it could be like lifebar.
spinner-metre.png - normal
spinner-metre-0.png, spinner-metre-1.png etc. - animated. (so you don't need a toggle option).
And also frames could be steps that you are doing while spinning (10 steps until peak of spinner.)

But the main problem is size of spinner. I'm sure it would be laggy. Loading few large frames isn't good for people with older PC's.
So I don't think this would work.
Topic Starter
theMikeAG

MLGnom wrote:

...the main problem is size of spinner. I'm sure it would be laggy. Loading few large frames isn't good for people with older PC's.
Yeah, I was thinking this too, but I want to plug ten 800 by 600 images into the SB Editor at once (aka the absolute worst case scenario) to see if it's really that bad. I think this'll be fine as long as it doesn't run any worse than this map does (http://osu.ppy.sh/s/8274).

Also, your idea for the naming is really good. Thanks! ^_^
MLGnom
But for spinners you MUST have ~1023x692 if you want them centered (and shown correctly).
I don't want to be rude but maybe learn a little more about skinning. :3
Shiirn

MLGnom wrote:

But for spinners you MUST have ~1023x692 if you want them centered (and shown correctly).
If you knew anything about skinning, you'd realize that the only problem with this kind of storyboarding would be RAM, rather than processing power since the difference between animating an overlay of 10 800x600 images with 10 1023x692 (hell, if this kind of thing were implemented it would probably support smaller sizes just like any other form of skinning?) would be negligible.

tl;dr if it's allowed with current storyboarding standards it's possible to skin it without worries
Kitsunemimi

MLGnom wrote:

Loading few large frames isn't good for people with older PC's.
All skin and map elements are loaded when you first open the map. They're not loaded on the fly, like while spinning, otherwise this problem would arise.

I think this would be a nifty idea, but it sounds like it could get complicated. Some people might want their spinner meters to animate with spinner progress, and some would want theirs to always be animating. Plus, I don't think too many people will have a use for this feature for it to be really useful... but it's a good idea nonetheless.
Topic Starter
theMikeAG

MLGnom wrote:

LOL, Maybe I should. :3
Also, would you mind submitting your opinion to the poll? I'd like it to accurately represent everyone's feelings toward this request.

Kitsunemimi wrote:

I think this would be a nifty idea, but it sounds like it could get complicated. Some people might want their spinner meters to animate with spinner progress, and some would want theirs to always be animating. Plus, I don't think too many people will have a use for this feature for it to be really useful... but it's a good idea nonetheless.
I suppose that a few new triggers in the options file could solve any problems about how people want it to animate. Also, I disagree about people not having a use for it. When/if this is implemented, I expect that several skinners (including me :) ) will die with glee.
ziin
Support apng.

Also, I'd love to be able to animate every skin element, especially hitbursts.

I expect that several skinners (including me) will die with glee.
If you're just going to die, then there's no point.
Topic Starter
theMikeAG
I don't know about animating EVERYTHING. That seems a little excessive, especially considering how Kiai time adds flashes to everything.

The main reason I've created this request is that if peppy would allow us to animate anything RIGHT NOW, animating the spinner metre would produce the most possibilities. The hitcircle is concrete, you can't make it a square or a triange... it just wouldn't work. The spinner however, is abstract. You could potentially make anything out of it.
Topic Starter
theMikeAG
More discussion please. This could prove very useful when creating theme skins that don't have a decent spinner design.
mm201
Spinners are already giant graphics which take a long time to load. Adding a bunch of frames to the mix would lag some older machines bad and bump the RAM/VRAM requirements.

More transition effects are a possibility. A rotational sweep for this example could be hard coded. But in the long run, I'd like something more like interactive storyboards to fill this gap.
ziin

theMikeAG wrote:

I don't know about animating EVERYTHING. That seems a little excessive, especially considering how Kiai time adds flashes to everything.

The main reason I've created this request is that if peppy would allow us to animate anything RIGHT NOW, animating the spinner metre would produce the most possibilities. The hitcircle is concrete, you can't make it a square or a triange... it just wouldn't work. The spinner however, is abstract. You could potentially make anything out of it.
If you animate hitcircles, you can make a real jubeat map easily (you can actually storyboard this pretty easily too).
If you animate hitbursts and/or lighting, you can make explosions which disappear after a short while when you hit a note.
There's some other things you can do, but the option would be really nice. Kiai only flashes hitcircles and creates a bunch of star2s.

mm201 wrote:

Spinners are already giant graphics which take a long time to load. Adding a bunch of frames to the mix would lag some older machines bad and bump the RAM/VRAM requirements.
This is all the more reason to implement it, and also implement a skin/storyboard toggle.
Topic Starter
theMikeAG

mm201 wrote:

If the skin makes your game lag, don't use it. Simple as that. I'd say that's more reasonable than making storyboard intensive beatmaps that are impossible for old computers to play at ALL. Example: Don't Stop Me Now.

mm201 wrote:

I'd like something more like interactive storyboards to fill this gap.
But then you'd lose the tangibility between your spinner progress and the Metre, which is this request's appeal to me. I want to feel like I'm charging up my Spirit Bomb. :P

ziin wrote:

This is all the more reason to implement it, and also implement a skin/storyboard toggle.
ACK! Please don't mention Storyboard Toggle. That's one minefield I want to steer clear of. :o
Sakura
I dont see the point of animating a spinner, spinner-metre already is somewhat animated by showing from bottom to top as you clear the spinner, on the other hand what ziin mentioned about animated hitcircles sounds cool imo, and probably also animated lightning
Topic Starter
theMikeAG
Did you read the thread?

My request is animating the Spinner Metre. Because the way that Osu! handles it right now is Limited and a lot of Great Ideas are squelched because they Don't Work with the current method of Fake Animating.

Also, animating other elements like hitcircles or the spinner itself aren't relevant to the thread. This thread is only about animating the Spinner Metre. Hitcircles and Spinners are another subject entirely.
mm201

theMikeAG wrote:

If the skin makes your game lag, don't use it. Simple as that. I'd say that's more reasonable than making storyboard intensive beatmaps that are impossible for old computers to play at ALL. Example: Don't Stop Me Now.
This quickly is ceasing to be an option as osz2 rolls out.
The SB option is far more efficient in the case of your dial progress meter than a bunch of individual frames consisting of mostly the same thing or empty space.

theMikeAG wrote:

But then you'd lose the tangibility between your spinner progress and the Metre, which is this request's appeal to me. I want to feel like I'm charging up my Spirit Bomb. :P
I said MORE INTERACTIVE. As in, the SB would react to your percent completion in real time. It's the same as your request only more efficient.
Wishy
I wouldn't use it so I don't give a crap about this, would be a nice detail though.
show more