forum

[resolved] [confirmed] Error when typing space in romanised fields

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Noffy
Problem Details:
When typing a space at the end of the text in the Romanised Artist and Romanised Title fields, the text cursor will be set back to the beginning of the text field.
This makes filling in metadata incredibly inconvenient as the Romanised Fields can not be simply typed in.
If you try to add a space to the middle of existing text, this does not happen.
So a work around is, if, for example, you're trying to type "hello there" you'd have to type "hellothere" and add the space afterwards.

This only occurs in the Romanised Artist and Romanised Title fields.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
A video as I try to change the romanised artist field from "hello" to "hello there"
The text cursor is sent back to the beginning repeatedly when I try to type a space at the end of the line.

osu! version: 20161101.2 (latest)
Starrodkirby86
Yeah... I'd like to think this is a weird design quirk that was intended to reflect things like trying to properly reflect the Eastern-style writing for surnames (e.g. Toyosaki Aki, Yazawa Nico) when you would write their first name and then last name in there, but I don't really think it's implemented well at all.
Topic Starter
Noffy
If it had anything to do with that, it doesn't explain why that happens in the romanised title field as well.
It also makes no sense that it would assume the user is typing in the names of the artist in the incorrect order :/
Kao
He meant that you type the romanised name with first then last name
But Japanese write names last name first
This might be the reason why.
If this was the case, I think it's poorly implemented, if I were to do it if would be in the artist, not in the romanised artist. Apparently osu! Can detect if you're using Japanese characters so when you type the name in FNLN it'll reorder to LNFN. Japanese names do not have spaces too
Topic Starter
Noffy

Kao wrote:

He meant that you type the romanised name with first then last name
But Japanese write names last name first
This might be the reason why.
If this was the case, I think it's poorly implemented, if I were to do it if would be in the artist, not in the romanised artist. Apparently osu! Can detect if you're using Japanese characters so when you type the name in FNLN it'll reorder to LNFN. Japanese names do not have spaces too
I am aware of this, and I don't think there was anything in my reply to imply I'm not ><?

It has nothing to do with what's in the artist or title field, or what language it is, from any testing I've done.
It just always happens.
Always.

This issue doesn't happen in the Artist or Title Fields, so I don't think "japanese names don't have spaces" is related.
It happens in the Romanised Artist field, and the Romanised Title field. The two fields that would most likely require the use of spaces.

Why should osu assume I am not typing in an artist's name in the correct order? It is more a hassle than any convenience if this bug was somehow supposed to be a feature..

My video displaying the problem was by using the romanised artist field, but this happens in the romanised title field too.

I can not imagine how this is supposed to be a feature, it is most likely a bug.

I doubt it has anything to do with name order when it also happens in the romanised title field.

I also can not find anything regarding this in the changelog, so I highly doubt it is intentional. This only began occurring within the past few months.
Starrodkirby86
It's been this way for as long as I can remember... Definitely over a year, at least, for me. I don't really think anyone has really documented it though or felt that it was something.

But it does always happen, to my recollection. It triggers here, for instance.
Topic Starter
Noffy

Starrodkirby86 wrote:

It's been this way for as long as I can remember... Definitely over a year, at least, for me. I don't really think anyone has really documented it though or felt that it was something.

But it does always happen, to my recollection. It triggers here, for instance.

I guess I was just lucky enough to not have it happen to me until recently then.. :q
and now it happens.. every time :(
According to someone I know exiting and reopening the editor can cause it to not happen, but that's not been working for me.
It just always.. happens.
Always
Karen
same here :(
it always happens to me so i have to copy paste the whole romanised thing from other places every time
dtnc21
I really don't get why this is happening either. What's up with that?

It's happening in Cutting Edge, which is what I'm using. Does that happen in Stable (Latest) as well?
Dntm8kmeeatu
Still seems to be an issue, and I couldn't find a confirmed thread of this, might as well add it, why not.
peppy
Fixed