forum

[resolved] How do i force osu to run at 144 fps?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
SimplyDuckers
I have set the hz to 144, fps limit to 144, refreshrate override 1 and so on. Still the blurry 60 fps stock thing. How do i propely setr it to 144?
Piine
You tried editing the fps in the .cfg files via Notepad or Text Editor? Should be looking for the "CustomFrameLimit" line and input what you need.

Hopes that helps
Topic Starter
SimplyDuckers

Sulker wrote:

You tried editing the fps in the .cfg files via Notepad or Text Editor? Should be looking for the "CustomFrameLimit" line and input what you need.

Hopes that helps
I did, but still 60 fps.
Kao
Have you made sure to (un)check Vsync both in osu! And in your driver graphics panel?
Topic Starter
SimplyDuckers

Kao wrote:

Have you made sure to (un)check Vsync both in osu! And in your driver graphics panel?
Yep, unlimited in osu, and just turned it off in the control panel. Still locked to 60hz.
Dntm8kmeeatu
Is your monitor actually set to run 144hz in Windows?
Topic Starter
SimplyDuckers

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

Is your monitor actually set to run 144hz in Windows?

Ofcourse.
Alex3i2

SimplyDuckers wrote:

Kao wrote:

Yep, unlimited in osu, and just turned it off in the control panel. Still locked to 60hz.
I get also 60 fps when i go unlimited
If i go 120 / 240 , everything works fine
Jellyblob
x
Upskirt
Try running in borderless fullscreen or windowed.

You need to force it in the config whilst your game is closed and don't bother with setting a custom framerate, just have it at unlimited(Gameplay). You just want the game to push 144hz and run at unlimited. Capping your frames increases frametimes and input latency. This may also depend on if you are running DirectX or OpenGL which you can also change in the config.

The line is "RefreshRate = 60"

Make sure the file is not set the read-only when you save it otherwise when ever you change a setting in osu then it won't apply. I doubt osu will force the refresh rate back to 60 but that could mean it is an issue elsewhere on your system.

This should work unless you have not actually set it in your monitor properties under advanced display settings in windows.

Alternatively if you use an Nvidia graphics card and none of these work then you could create a custom resolution with your native resolution and refresh rate to force it via driver side.

I do believe you can check your monitor refresh rate range in the AMD control panel if you have an AMD graphics card though that may only be if you have Free-Sync.

Topic Starter
SimplyDuckers

Venzire wrote:

Try running in borderless fullscreen or windowed.

You need to force it in the config whilst your game is closed and don't bother with setting a custom framerate, just have it at unlimited(Gameplay). You just want the game to push 144hz and run at unlimited. Capping your frames increases frametimes and input latency. This may also depend on if you are running DirectX or OpenGL which you can also change in the config.

The line is "RefreshRate = 60"

Make sure the file is not set the read-only when you save it otherwise when ever you change a setting in osu then it won't apply. I doubt osu will force the refresh rate back to 60 but that could mean it is an issue elsewhere on your system.

This should work unless you have not actually set it in your monitor properties under advanced display settings in windows.

Alternatively if you use an Nvidia graphics card and none of these work then you could create a custom resolution with your native resolution and refresh rate to force it via driver side.

I do believe you can check your monitor refresh rate range in the AMD control panel if you have an AMD graphics card though that may only be if you have Free-Sync.

It's already windowed and already set the config for refreshrate to 144, same with the framerate.
Kao
Could you take a screenshot of running programs in task manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) in Processes?
Might be one of your programs that is running is causing this..
Upskirt
I said check if it's set to read-only or not in the config properties.

Are you even running a HDMI cable that supports 144hz or do you even use Display Port?

Are you using Dual Link DVI? Try that in a different port, the one for D-Link DVI. Then your graphics card will actually output 144hz like it should be.

Note: Your monitor will show 144hz but it doesn't mean your graphics card will be outputting at that refresh rate. You need the correct cable for that and you will need it in the correct port. I guarantee you overlooked this issue further than I managed to with my first post.

Extra Important Note: Your monitor won't run at 144Hz if you don't use Dual Link DVI, HDMI 1.4+, Display or Mini Display Port.
Topic Starter
SimplyDuckers

Venzire wrote:

I said check if it's set to read-only or not in the config properties.

Are you even running a HDMI cable that supports 144hz or do you even use Display Port?

Are you using Dual Link DVI? Try that in a different port, the one for D-Link DVI. Then your graphics card will actually output 144hz like it should be.

Note: Your monitor will show 144hz but it doesn't mean your graphics card will be outputting at that refresh rate. You need the correct cable for that and you will need it in the correct port. I guarantee you overlooked this issue further than I managed to with my first post.

Extra Important Note: Your monitor won't run at 144Hz if you don't use Dual Link DVI, HDMI 1.4+, Display or Mini Display Port.
Nope, it's not ticked to "read only

DP 1.4 cable and all other games reads 144hz, just not osu.

Kao wrote:

Could you take a screenshot of running programs in task manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) in Processes?
Might be one of your programs that is running is causing this..

Topic Starter
SimplyDuckers
Forgot to add the specs in case anyone wondered:

i7-4790k
32GB 1600mhz ram
GTX 1080
Asus PG278Q 1440p 144hz Gsync. (btw, gsync acts like vsync but without the delay and it capps the fps to 144, just not in osu
Upskirt
Don't use G-Sync in osu!, you want to be pushing as many frames as possible. Your monitor will only display 144 a second though.

In the Nvidia control panel under the 3D settings, under the heading "Refresh Rate". Change this to the "Highest possible" then go to display settings -> Advanced display settings -> Monitor -> change the refresh rate to 144hz.

Disable G-Sync for osu!.
Topic Starter
SimplyDuckers

Venzire wrote:

Don't use G-Sync in osu!, you want to be pushing as many frames as possible. Your monitor will only display 144 a second though.

In the Nvidia control panel under the 3D settings, under the heading "Refresh Rate". Change this to the "Highest possible" then go to display settings -> Advanced display settings -> Monitor -> change the refresh rate to 144hz.

Disable G-Sync for osu!.

Better with 144 fps than 60. And why would i use more fps than the monitor can handle? is there one thing i hate it's screen tearing. Which is why i bought the 144hz gsync monitor in the first place. more than double the framerate with no tearing or delay whatsoever.

And the refreshrate has been at 144hz since i got the monitor. I wouldn't want it any less.

Edit: Huh! disabling the Gsync did the trick!

But why do Gsync limit the Hz to 60 when all other games works just fine with it?
Kao
Might be because of how osu! was coded...
It doesn't use DirectX anymore which could be the reason

(Or am I blindly guessing)
Upskirt
The thread should be moved into the resolved section sometime

Quite sure the DirectX render is still present. While my game is running and in my config D3D is selected.

Also why would you want to use G-Sync on a game that requires high frame rate to reduce latency? This is counter-intuitive.

You can run 144hz with G-Sync on but you will have higher latency than without G-Sync.

Let me explain to you what G-Sync really does, and why you don't need it for osu.

1. Osu! isn't graphically intensive which means your GPU is pushing way more frames than what your monitor can actually display, throttling that output will increase frame times and in effect latency will be higher which is bad for a game that requires you to react to appearing objects.

2. G-Sync is basically V-Sync but runs at a larger range which eliminates screen tearing from lets say 35hz to 144hz and anything above that will tear. Response times without G-Sync capping your frame rate at 144FPS is much better than keeping it on.

Sure, for other games it's fine to use G-Sync but for osu! it isn't exactly the best of ideas unless screen-tearing makes you sick, which it wouldn't.

It was a pleasure to help :)

I am guessing the reason for why G-Sync was capping it was because of some inherent function in OpenGL that was conflicting with how the module operated or it was something included in the Nvidia drivers which you may actually be able to bypass by creating a custom resolution. I don't think it's because of how osu! is "coded" but you could ask one of the devs about it.
Topic Starter
SimplyDuckers

Venzire wrote:

The thread should be moved into the resolved section sometime

Quite sure the DirectX render is still present. While my game is running and in my config D3D is selected.

Also why would you want to use G-Sync on a game that requires high frame rate to reduce latency? This is counter-intuitive.

You can run 144hz with G-Sync on but you will have higher latency than without G-Sync.

Let me explain to you what G-Sync really does, and why you don't need it for osu.

1. Osu! isn't graphically intensive which means your GPU is pushing way more frames than what your monitor can actually display, throttling that output will increase frame times and in effect latency will be higher which is bad for a game that requires you to react to appearing objects.

2. G-Sync is basically V-Sync but runs at a larger range which eliminates screen tearing from lets say 35hz to 144hz and anything above that will tear. Response times without G-Sync capping your frame rate at 144FPS is much better than keeping it on.

Sure, for other games it's fine to use G-Sync but for osu! it isn't exactly the best of ideas unless screen-tearing makes you sick, which it wouldn't.

It was a pleasure to help :)

I am guessing the reason for why G-Sync was capping it was because of some inherent function in OpenGL that was conflicting with how the module operated or it was something included in the Nvidia drivers which you may actually be able to bypass by creating a custom resolution. I don't think it's because of how osu! is "coded" but you could ask one of the devs about it.
WEll, it may be counter-intuitive, but why would i use a framerate higher than the monitor can handle? And the latency is nearly equal to zero, hence why Gsync exists, to eliminate the delay V-sync causes.

And for the "accuracy" I am not much of a competitive person, and even with gsync on, i get mostly the "glowing 300" point thing. As long as i can get an A or S in the score, then i'm happy :P

And dude.. i know what Gsync is, i did my research before i even bought the thing for 644 bucks :P And gsync is also way better than V-sync which is software based which causes a slight visual delay, i honestly barely even see a delay because the Gsync chip.

And i want it to cap not to get screen tearing. *Had enough of that bullshit back when i had my 1080p 144hz or even my 4k 60hz heh
show more