forum

2016-11-16 Changes to tournament supporter prizes

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
smoogipoo
Hi all,

This has already been in effect for about two months but a public post about this was never made and I am the one to blame for this.

Summary: We are not going to be giving supporter prizes to new tournaments, effective immediately. This applies to both flat supporter prizes and points. We will still award the prizes that were promised for ongoing tournaments, however points will be/have been awarded automatically on a routine basis once players surpassed 24 points.

There are various reasons for this, but it boils down to the fact that tournaments and the tournament community have become self-sustaining and the registering process will soon be completely automated.
nya10
Just to clarify, will other prize like badges still be given in a seasonal tournament?
Topic Starter
smoogipoo
Badges will be awarded on a per-case basis at our discretion, we are not cutting them. Official tournaments (OWC/TWC/CWC/MWC4K/MWC7K) will retain their prizes.
Sartan
Hi again,

Thank you very much for posting this information, I do appreciate it very much! I can now see the main idea behind this, but in my opinion this is still rather vague.

For the people that don’t know, the reason I am posting this is because I made contact with the tournament staff earlier this week, since I was rather frustrated after hearing this change and not getting a forum post explaining the reason behind it even after waiting for quite some time. I even went as far to make a video about (in my opinion) negative effects that this change could have: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t16LMm2-w4 (watch it if you’re interested and sorry for selling out)

Anyway, I would like to hear something about these ‘’various reasons’’ you touched upon in your original post, because in my opinion the fact that tournaments are becoming ‘’more self sustaining’’ isn’t a real viable reason for the tournament staff to take away the supporter prizes. Of course, some of the community hosted tournaments are nearing the quality of officially organised tournaments when it comes to the organisation, but most people (and with that I mean almost all people) can’t afford to pay supporter tag for every tournament that they organize. In that regard the community driven tournaments are not self sustaining at all. I touch upon this subject of money and more in my video as well if you’d like a further explanation (for the people that have not seen it yet), but unless you can give me the various other reasons you mentioned I am still quite confused of this change.

Also, I would like to know how you currently select tournaments that are deemed worthy of profile badges, since this system is pretty unclear as well. For example: previous year one of my tournaments (t/373501) was denied from badges since one of the osu tourney staff members found it to have too little participants, while a little later another tournament popped up (t/467323) with way fewer members than the tournament we organised. It turned out that they did in fact receive profile badges (these badges were also received in the 2015 edition of the aus/nz tournament). There was probably some other reason to our tournament not getting badges that time, but there are no clear guidelines for us tournament organisers to view and see what requirements have to be met for these badges.

Sorry again for this entire paragraph of text, but I am very interested as well to see how the tournament scene is gonna evolve in coming times and would love to somehow help you with ideas from our little osu!Catch community.
ThePooN
Sartan:
Probably because the 2nd tourney is a national and annually one, which can determine a champion of a country for X year. That makes a tourney much more valuable.
Acuiasa
Can someone offer a supporter prize as long as they pay for it themselves and gift it to the rewarded players?
ThePooN
why not?
o x

Acuiasa wrote:

Can someone offer a supporter prize as long as they pay for it themselves and gift it to the rewarded players?
Yes you are able to provide prizes yourself but they will not pay for you.
Sartan

ThePooN wrote:

Sartan:
Probably because the 2nd tourney is a national and annually one, which can determine a champion of a country for X year. That makes a tourney much more valuable.
Yea, I figured something along those lines as well. That's exactly why i asked for some clear guidelines about the badges, right now we can only speculate why one would or would not get badges really.