Total Posts
Topic Starter
LuigiHann
This is fun.
Download here: http://luigihann.googlepages.com/pacman.rar

Screens:

Oddbrother
WOOHOO!

Could have custom sound effects added, though, for more laughs.

A "Wakka" sound for every beat would be nice.
Kylecito
hahaha good job, i can't test it right now but i had a funny idea :)

making the lifebar-color a pacman on the left like

(< ___________________________

and the kisymbol, a ghost, so it looks like it's closing in on pacman :)

(<________________|o o|_____
Hitoshirenu Shourai
Actually, I think you can make a song have the "wakka" sound via customizing a beatmap. You can already give a map a custom skin, and I believe you can also have custom sounds too... so I say LuigiHann should make some sort of pacman song beatmap. >_>
Oddbrother
What file type and what filename?
gchxp

Kylecito wrote:

:lol: That'll be much fun
Topic Starter
LuigiHann

Kylecito wrote:

Curse you and your clever ideas... making me go back after my skin is done... grumble grumble.

I'm busy now, but I like that idea, so I will add it :P
peppy
I have added this as official for now. Will update it when you get the scorebar changed, but I feel its too good to wait any longer :D
Fraeon
It's nice, but I have one thing nagging me about it. First of all, Pac-Man looks a bit off currently. Considering you're going for a retro look, have you tried making Pac-Man a bit...rougher? More pixelated? Like in the lifebar? The skip button could lose it's 3D effects, too, for the same reason.

Otherwise, it's looking pretty nice. If we get those slider background images sometime, they could use a bit tweaking too, but it's not something you can do at this time.

Cheers.
Topic Starter
LuigiHann
Updated version here: http://luigihann.googlepages.com/pacman.rar

I changed a few things besides the life bar. Playing around with the "approach circle" is fun, but the result is always too distracting to actually use, so I left it with the default one.

Fraeon, I kind of agree with you. I added a black border to Pac-man, which helps him fit in better with the style of the skin. The reason I don't make him more pixelly is mostly because the original arcade animation of him "munching" is only 3 frames, and I couldn't add frames in any non-awkward way. Plus, with the rotation, it'd look a bit off anyway. Still, rest assured that I did think about it.

The italics and shading are just intended to give it more of a psuedo-retro feel, rather than an actual representation of game sprites. Because 80's gaming was all about imagining that games looked better than they did.

Peppy, can I make a couple requests about the slider? Hopefully these aren't too complex, and if they are, feel free to ignore them.
A) I don't care about texture or graphics or anything, but it'd be nice if I could choose the color of the fill and the border, perhaps in the ini, with the option of using the combo color or not. That could hypothetically get a little complex, I don't know much about how it's done, but it'd be nice.
B) Right now, you've probably noticed, if Pac-man hits a reverse arrow he starts backing up. It'd be nice if the graphic flipped around so he always faces forward :mrgreen:

Other than those two things, this skinning engine is fantastic for surreal things like this. I think I will make some kind of Pac-Man song beatmap now.
peppy
Under general you can now add

[General]
SliderBallFlip = 1

Under colours you can now add

[Colours]
SliderBorder = 255,255,255
SliderTrackOverride = 128,128,128

These will be available in the next build. I will update the skin template later this week.
Topic Starter
LuigiHann
Thanks you very much! :mrgreen:
peppy
Also - if you want to get ahead you can start skinning the playfield/menu backgrounds.

http://pe.ppy.sh/playfield.png for a template. Make sure you stick to greyscaled - as this gets coloured in-game (subtractive filter).
Extor
About the 3 frame thing. You can always divide the 10 frames and make this:

Make the same frame appear twice. That way you will use less frames.
Topic Starter
LuigiHann

Extor wrote:

About the 3 frame thing. You can always divide the 10 frames and make this:

Make the same frame appear twice. That way you will use less frames.
Well yeah. That'd just be kind of a waste of frames, though. (Read: I like how it looks now ;) )
peppy
I'll change the way frames are read so it will only display how many are present in the animation loop (with a maximum of 10). This way you could increase the frame count to 5 or something.
chan
At first I was all like "I don't really care about skins" but after I tried this out, man, was I impressed. Great idea and well implemented, love everything about it. Kudos to you!

Edit: actually I'd prefer some sort of indication that a return slider is a return slider. At the moment, the cherry just seems like the end of the slider, and I miss a lot of returns because of this, especially fast sliders. Well, that's how I feel anyways
Topic Starter
LuigiHann

chan wrote:

Edit: actually I'd prefer some sort of indication that a return slider is a return slider. At the moment, the cherry just seems like the end of the slider, and I miss a lot of returns because of this, especially fast sliders. Well, that's how I feel anyways
Does anyone else have that issue? I don't, but it could just be because I made the skin. It's my opinion that the cherry is noticeable enough that it's just a matter of committing to memory the fact that cherry=reverse.

If other people are having trouble with it, though, I could try tweaking it into something more arrow-looking, but I have to say I'm fond of it as it is.
peppy
Works for me as-is!
Topic Starter
LuigiHann
This is the final version. Please upload it before the next time Osu! updates... the updater keeps overwriting my folder with the older version. It's nice that the skins are updated automatically, but it'd probably be good if it were optional, for cases like ... well, mostly me :P

Also, I added the entries you mentioned to the skin.ini, but nothing changed. I'm guessing that the feature just hasn't been added to the released build, but hopefully the skin will look right when it is.

I've also added a background.

Download: pacman.rar
show more