Beat Clicker
72 posts
Problem Details:
The top scores on AKINO from bless4 & CHiCO with HoneyWorks - MIIRO vs. Ai no Scenario - ultra beginner seem a little odd.
The top player spun 18000 on the lone spinner in the map, using just DTHR.
I used DTHRHDFL and scored 16000 on the spinner (2000 less)
Both of us got SS, yet I am not even in the top 1000

Now, I assumed maybe I was calculating it wrong, or I was just mistaken, so I retried several times to beat 18000 spinner bonus. Alas, I never did, but then I noticed this:
Now, this strikes me as odd. No Fail + Easy + Hidden mods cause a 0.27x score modifier. How is this guy ranked fourth? My own score multiplier was 1.41x, so even if he spun 20000 on the spinner, there's no way he should even be in the top 100 with roughly a quarter score.

In case it is of any use: my replay
osu! version: 20160821.1 (latest)

Edit:
I decided to play the song without mods.
I achieved the same spin on my 4th and 5th scores yet there's no difference (even though one is with a 1.41x score multiplier and one isn't)
Last edited by Imperf3kt on , edited 1 time in total.
Rhythm Incarnate
1,567 posts
This isn't odd behaviour. On very easy maps like this with few objects spinners are what decide top 50 players and a lot of the score. None of the mods effect the amount of score that the spinner gives you. Thus giving people who use less mods higher scores. It's odd but not unusual.
Beat Clicker
72 posts
I just retried the map without mods and achieved the same score as one where I did use mods.
So I edited the title (and yes, I achieved the same spinner bonus)

Observe:
Replay with mods: http://puu.sh/rSuVe/8e5c459c7b.osr
Replay with no mods: http://puu.sh/rSuWx/b392059b2d.osr

On both plays, I achieve the exact same score, and the exact same spinner bonus. Why is there no difference?

Also, you may notice that the difference in the spinner bonus is 2000, yet the top players have roughly 6000 more score, even though they only got an extra 2000 from spin bonus. I do know how the spinner works.
Another odd thing I noticed while trying to write up this report, is that sometimes my scores weren't being saved to local. I had to redo them quite a few times because they just weren't showing.

But ultimately the "odd" behaviour I am referring to is the #4 rank. How can someone who uses EZNF, get in the top 5?
osu! Alumni
3,241 posts
At its base, the base scores, like getting a 300, a 1000 from a spinner, and things like that, will always reward their base value. The multiplier is merely a bonus appended over that base value as well. See this for more details on the formula.

There shouldn't be anything shady going on, but admittedly I haven't looked at the specific replays or anything. I'm not really sure about the spinner bonuses being exactly captured or anything like that. But if there is any misunderstanding regarding how the scoring is calculated, at least the formula is out in the open to read on.
Beat Clicker
72 posts
Alright, that all makes sense, but what about the two replays where I achieve identical scores yet one uses mods and one doesn't? Shouldn't there be a difference considering everything was identical except the score multiplier.
Rhythm Incarnate
12,776 posts
Spinnerbonuses don't get weighted alongside score bonus
Spinning with EZ will cause more points, since the OD is lower, thus the difficulty to clear spinners is lower
Using HT will likely make it worse, since the spinner only gets longer, allowing for more points
Beat Clicker
72 posts
Bara- wrote:
Spinnerbonuses don't get weighted alongside score bonus
Spinning with EZ will cause more points, since the OD is lower, thus the difficulty to clear spinners is lower
Using HT will likely make it worse, since the spinner only gets longer, allowing for more points

Tested this, EZ does indeed end up giving higher spin, so with so few objects it does indeed amount to a higher overall score, but Halftime does not affect anything, since the amount of spins you collect is also modified.

But, what I am trying to figure out, is why two identical plays, one with mods, one without, gave me the same score.

Edit:
I just watched the two replays and observed the following:
BEFORE the spinner, the play WITHOUT mods (1.0x score modifier), achieved 4010 score
AFTER the spinner (14000 bonus), the play WITHOUT mods, achieved 21710
At the END of the song, the play WITHOUT mods, achieved 23310 score

BEFORE the spinner, the play WITH mods (1.41x score modifier), achieved 4010 score
AFTER the spinner (14000 bonus), the play WITH mods, achieved 21710 score
At the END of the song, the play WITH mods, achieved 23310 score

Does the multiplier only take affect at the end of a song, or throughout?
Beat Clicker
72 posts
Apparently, auto doesn't even beat the #1 score, using the exact same mods and spinning 20,000 on the spinner.
Still think Its just because I'm not spinning fast enough?

Or how about auto spinning 20,000 on the spinner, with all mods?

Most of the top 50 plays are above this score. How is this possible when none of them can spin as fast as auto?
Last edited by Imperf3kt on , edited 1 time in total.
Rhythm Incarnate
1,567 posts
Auto does not give the highest possible score. This is nothing to do with a glitch or a bug as we have said multiple times. This is just how scoring works.
Beat Clicker
72 posts
SS = same score for every player, correct?

So the only way to differ that score, is by spinning more on a spinner.

Osu Auto, spins more than everyone, so naturally, I assume it should be the top score. Seeing as how the current top score had 2000 less bonus.
How could it not be? I've been playing osu for four years and I've never seen anybody get more than auto, only break the lawyers. (I'm NOT suggesting any of these guys did that btw)

So explain to me this, please, as I find it difficult to comprehend.
How come when I had 2000 spinner bonus less that #1 play, there is a difference of 6100 points, yet when osu!auto earns 2000 MORE points than the #1 play, it is still over 1000 points short?
Rhythm Incarnate
1,694 posts
Auto does not always get higher than every user, this case is most apparently obvious in the tewi spinner map https://osu.ppy.sh/b/260177&m=2
Auto had a delay in the spin which caused a lot of 100 rather than 300 where I could by continuing spinning, instead of stopping every time.

I'm not sure about this but every bit of spin counts in a spinner, as you won't see hundred points adding up, only thousands. It might be that you got a lower point in the first spinner then you didn't have enough points to catch up in the last spinner Vice versa. Even if you see "3000" as the last in the spinner the #1 might've gotten 500 or even 900 points higher
This is just my 2 cents
Support Team
4,690 posts
Not sure what the exact hell is going on here, what I can say though is that Auto seems to achieve the same score as the score it previously achieved regardless of mods.

Edit: Pinning this.
Rhythm Incarnate
1,694 posts
Could it just be that lag is what's causing auto to fall behind the spinner, thus losing a bit of score?
Support Team
4,690 posts
Kao wrote:
Could it just be that lag is what's causing auto to fall behind the spinner, thus losing a bit of score?
Definitely not the case here. Go try it out for yourself.
Cymbal Sounder
37 posts
I personally believe it's the delay when osu! begins spinning. Humans are ready to spin, yet auto will always propose a delay.

I might be wrong. I am a true newbie, so who knows? :/
Reply 29 posts jump | 1, 2  next