forum

2008-2009 mapping

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Pachiru
Hey there.

I would like to have some opinion about old mapping style, since I used to map like that. It could be cool if there is other people that used to map like it, since for me it's my favorite style. I also respect all mappers that use different other style ! I'm not saying that it's the best mapping style, so don't be rude with me please :(

1. Do you think that it's still a fun mapping?
  2. Do you like that kind of patterns that are straights with simple shapes?
  3. Do you think is it possible to have some "Extra" diffs using those patterns without insane jumps?
  4. Is this style an "easy-to-map" way of mapping?
Thanks to everyone for your attention !
winber1
djpop pls

and for any technique, there is methodology to it that makes it bad or good. if i ever tried to 100% mimc djpop or muya or whatever, it'll turn out to be utter garbage, unless i put my own spin on it. things can be easier to map for some but not others, but what really matters is whether it plays well, not how much time is put into it. regardless, it's still subjective in the very end.
Starrodkirby86
I think I'm pretty qualified to speak of this, right? LMAO

Though the KIRBY Mix style has gone through a lot of differences, but the main heart and essence of it still stands.

It most definitely is a fun style to still map, and I think one thing that I want to do with the newer mapping styles of the PP era is getting an idea of some of the players' feel, difficulty standards now, and what can constitute fun. So it can help inspire me to try out other interesting, tricky patterns that my style can use. At the same time, the classic KIRBY Mix style is a pretty niche kind of thing with fun, especially due to the AR...

I think a lot of that older kind of linear-style can be attributed to the usage of the Grid. In the earlier days, the farthest Grid Snap is actually at Level 3, with 4 being an .osu-only editable. Eventually that level 4 was introduced. Having mapped KIRBY Mixes in Grid Level 2 for the longest time, there are still possibilities to make interesting patterns in that matter. They're unique and provide a different kind of challenge, especially with how jagged sometimes the corners can be. A map like this can be incredibly difficult to FC, even if it seems really simple.

It's possible. Just look at my mapping. :^)))))

While I do think that it can be a quicker way to map since it follows the basics of Distance Snapping and concepts like that more-so than things like always considering emphasis, fluid spacing, flow, etc., I only think that, at the end of the day, if you can make a fun map that players can enjoy, then awesome. And you can definitely still incorporate the older tools and concepts from that to make something that's engaging.
Caput Mortuum
Nope
Nope
Yes, high bpm maps
Yes, you can just set the ds on and slap dem circles everywhere.
chainpullz
Nothing wrong with it if you do it in a way that fits the song well (ie. Kirby mixes). I'm pretty sure the reason people even mapped like that though is that DS/GS were both shoved down your throat. There's a reason why most old maps suck. Usually bad timing, extreme undermapping, or spacing/patterning that fails to capture the essence of the music. The latter being quite prominent since it took some creativity to work in such a constrained design space.
Bara-
I don't really like the old maps. The spacing is too confusing to properly play, the hitsounds are packing, and the aesthetics are quite bad...
NeXt4r_

Bara- wrote:

I don't really like the old maps. The spacing is too confusing to properly play, the hitsounds are packing, and the aesthetics are quite bad...
i think you are just don't get the style with the old map
Starrodkirby86
Different strokes for different folks. :^)

Or those that can't read <=AR8.
B1rd
You don't need to be able to read low AR to do old maps, you just have to be able to move your cursor in a perfect straight line, square and zigzag.
7ambda

faiswusuf wrote:

i think you are just don't get the style with the old map
Old maps generally have no style associated with them because concept and theme hadn't yet been conceived.That's why we have shit maps like Farucon Pan!.
Bara-

B1rd wrote:

You don't need to be able to read low AR to do old maps, you just have to be able to move your cursor in a perfect straight line, square and zigzag.
I actually prefer low AR over high
I'm better at reading Airman at AR 5 than AR 10...

Small circles just kill me
Sonnyc
If the scoreboard has got mostly none mods while the star diff isn't that high, I assume that's one sign for an old style mapping.
Since I'm not a DT player, I can't say much, but I believe those kinds of style aren't nice for double time plays.

As mentioned above, it is mostly related to flows. Those being straight or way too zig-zagish. Not nice for DTs.

Old styles that I use mostly have less jumps, consistent (and close) spacings, simple patternings. Making an "X" diff will be difficult for low-BPM songs since it is hard to insert aim difficulties in the style, but for high-BPMs, it will definitely be possible. High spaced streams can easily boost the star diff.
Max Period
AR settings was introduced during mid-2010 as a separate modifier. Prior to that there was only OD, which means you could only increase both AR and OD at the same time. In current builds, these beatmap will show the same value in both AR and OD.

In the old days, a beatmap with maximum score over 12 million used to be unrankable, but were approvable instead (didn't count toward ranked score).

And by 2010, this 4.63 star beatmap was even considered too hard for approval...
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/14466

And by the way most of my top scores are on old maps too.
Ronja
Ronja

Bara- wrote:

Ronja
old maps are confusing
B1rd
Nice posts.
Buster
-Yes its fun mapping
-Yeah i love it
-maybe im not sure
-yes
Azinlen
del
hinami-chi