forum

Hip-Hop/Rap Thread

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Rurree
I have no idea if people here actually like hip-hop or rap but I love it and I listen mostly to Kendrick Lamar, Kanye West, Tyler the Creator, Logic, Lupe Fiasco, Drake, Future, J.Cole, A$AP Rocky, Jay Rock, Schoolboy Q, CZARFACE, Run The Jewels, Flying Lotus, and Death Grips. There are many more but I can't really remember them all right now lol.

My favorites of all time has always been King Kendrick Lamar, Kanye West, Notorious B.I.G, Wu Tang Clan, N.W.A., Ice Cube, Eminem, Nas, Jay-Z, The Avalanches, The Roots, Outkast, 2Pac, Public Enemy, and A Tribe Called Quest. I'm sure I like more artists but sadly I can't remember them all lol.

Discuss hiphop/rap music here! I'm curious to know your fav artists too and I'm open for suggestions!
HootOwlStar
it's really rare to have quality rap / hip-hop music in radio since some stations are basically overrated with chart tops and there is actually no specific channel for this genre of music. and people are influenced by dumb artists, causing hate and irritation to this genre, thinking rap is like babbling, and prefer melodic vocals instead

and I think Lil Wayne is ruining music and Drake's One Dance gives me a headache.
Topic Starter
Rurree
Dude, just check underground hip-hop music, there are only a few artists that are mainstream worth listening to be honest, but the best of them all is Kendrick Lamar imo which is in the mainstream. The rap and hip-hop they play in the radio is terrible and I have no idea why that's what they play, probably just for the bangers and the beats. No one cares about lyrics..

Real rap and hip-hop are amazing, the popular songs (Fancy, Anaconda, One Dance, etc.) are ruining it.
Sanxu_old
The only ones I really like off the previously mentioned are Run the Jewels and Death Grips. I mostly like the latter's darker, heavier stuff which is why No Love is my favourite album and I quite dislike The Money Store. I also dig some of the more chill, funkier stuff from MF DOOM, with Special Herbs, Volumes 3-4 being among my favourites.

Nujabes goes without mention. Hydeout Productions, Vol. 2 is a masterpiece.

Rest of the mentioned range from don't really care for to absolutely despise. Got any recs for me fampai?
Kotaro
Run the Jewels is ace duo
japanese and korean hip-hop/rap is ayt for me as well
just gon leave this here:

also nice from sig rurree lmfao
Navizel
childish gambino is a meme
Topic Starter
Rurree

Sanxu wrote:

The only ones I really like off the previously mentioned are Run the Jewels and Death Grips. I mostly like the latter's darker, heavier stuff which is why No Love is my favourite album and I quite dislike The Money Store. I also dig some of the more chill, funkier stuff from MF DOOM, with Special Herbs, Volumes 3-4 being among my favourites.

Nujabes goes without mention. Hydeout Productions, Vol. 2 is a masterpiece.

Rest of the mentioned range from don't really care for to absolutely despise. Got any recs for me fampai?
I don't even know who to recommend since you seem to like heavy and dark music, Czarface I guess?
ScorchBox
I'm glad someone mentioned Nujabes. I agree that he's a great artist, but sadly died way too early.
Its strange that no-one has mentioned J-Dilla yet - even stranger is that he was born the same day that Nujabes was.
I'd gladly step in to this thread; I think I need more recommendations for Hip-hop and I think my range is a bit stale. I want to open up to more artists like these people.
Topic Starter
Rurree
Anyone here listen to The Roots and Madvillain?

I'm also curious if anyone here likes rap metal? To be honest, I'd like to like the genre but the only good band is Rage Against The Machine, which for me is an amazing band.
ScorchBox

Rurree wrote:

I'm also curious if anyone here likes rap metal? To be honest, I'd like to like the genre but the only good band is Rage Against The Machine, which for me is an amazing band.

I do listen to the Roots! Great band. Never heard of Madvillain though...
About rap metal - I haven't listened to any for a long time so I can't really remember. But I think I like it...?
I don't know.
Stefan

Navizel wrote:

qft

I love Styles of Beyond, Mike Shinoda and the older Linkin Park Songs which some you can count into hip-hop.
Topic Starter
Rurree

Stefan wrote:

Navizel wrote:

qft

I love Styles of Beyond, Mike Shinoda and the older Linkin Park Songs which some you can count into hip-hop.
SOB.. Brings back memories. :)

ScorchBox wrote:

Rurree wrote:

I do listen to the Roots! Great band. Never heard of Madvillain though...

About rap metal - I haven't listened to any for a long time so I can't really remember. But I think I like it...?

I don't know.
Listen to Madvillain! Not sure if you'd like them but they are brilliant.

Pretty nice to know that there's someone who listens to The Roots. ;)
Topic Starter
Rurree

Nas is really amazing. I fuck with this track so much and so far it's still my favorite song of his along with Halftime.
ScorchBox
Sorry if I sound like a douche, but have you heard of any hororrcore at all?
Horrorcore is basically really vulgar and offensive rap. The reason I like it is not just about the creativity of the vocabulary in the lyrics, but the beat too!
Topic Starter
Rurree

ScorchBox wrote:

Sorry if I sound like a douche, but have you heard of any hororrcore at all?
Horrorcore is basically really vulgar and offensive rap. The reason I like it is not just about the creativity of the vocabulary in the lyrics, but the beat too!
Most of them are terrible but I do enjoy some of Tech N9ne's albums even if he's not as "horrorcore" as someone like the Geto Boys, etc.
Topic Starter
Rurree
FREE X
rHO
isn't he out from jail already
Topic Starter
Rurree
i'm foreshadowing his return to jail within a span of 4 months
ScorchBox
what's goin on 'ere eh
Alysia_old_1
Really good emotional hip hop/rap mixtape: