forum

Flow in Jumps

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
_DT3
Just a quick question:

In Insane maps, there are a lot of jumps and they usually flow well and don't look too randomly placed. Yet when I place them they look awfully random and non-flowy. And to clear up problems:
Yes, I do play Insane maps on a basis
Yes, I know what flow is.
The only problem for me is how to place hit circles in jump patterns so that they flow well. I've looked at flow guides but they only show how to place hitcircles with pretty much little distance (and not jumpy).
Also, because every map has a different jump pattern (for example, Fort's jumpy maps differ greatly from Bearzim's jumpy maps), I don't exactly how to place them in a pattern I like.

Any suggestions?
Asaiga
From my own experiences and how I made crappy jumps Dx

Use your mouse, maybe your tablet but I recommend you to use your mouse. Place notes to make a pattern as your wish, then use your mouse to go over that pattern. You don't feel comfortable? Remap, repeat. Until you are completely satisfied with that only part. Go on further, then you don't feel satisfy with the next part? Continue on remapping, and eventually you will find yourself remap the whole thing... tadaaa!!

Go learn more patterns from other people than just one, and combine them to create your own. Good luck :3
Topic Starter
_DT3
Ok, thanks, will try that out! If you have any other suggestions though, feel free to post it here :^)
Endaris
Jumps between circles are generally not flowing because circles are just one point, it's impossible to induce a flow on a pattern without sliders.
The best thing you can do about such stuff is using an obvious concept for your circle placement, like a symmetric pattern or a pattern that repeats itself while moving on the playfield or something different that makes sense with the music. No real magic here.

In the moment sliders are involved you basically have to look for the path of least resistance and place your sliders in a way that will suggest the sliderpath as the best movement path for the player also known as avoiding movementbased slider leniency. If you want to create some stop you can place the slider in the exact opposite direction.
Testplaying is certainly very helpful to figure out how a pattern flows and also letting other people testplay as they will all abuse slider leniency to a different degree.
Topic Starter
_DT3
Ok, thats good to know. Thanks!
hyouri
Highly depends on song, and what is important is not the pattern of it, it's the feel placing. Don't ever make triangles unless song is vocalized/instrument-played into 3 x 1/2's. Same with Back-and-forth jumps, don't make these unless the song repeats itself as if it's copy-paste or something.
Topic Starter
_DT3
Ok, also good to know. Thanks!
chainpullz
There are kind of 2 methods people use as far as I can tell. There is the structured method where you map your jumps according to some sort of theme/pattern (geometric - ie. monstrata hexigrids, symmetric - ie. any saten map ever, linear - ie. tsubaki EX EX). There is also the fling cursor in what feels like a comfortable way and fitting for the part of map and place circle, repeat a few times to fine tune, and then tweak for aesthetics.

Typically you have to be a lot more careful with the 2nd method when it comes to consistency. If you do go with the latter try to pick a set of distance snaps and adjust your spacing to be very close to one of these distances to keep consistency. If a melody repeats try to keep the spacing on the repeat related in some way to the original spacing.
Topic Starter
_DT3
Ok, thanks a lot! Also is really helpful:)
Kert
Analyze your favourite maps and see what part of them you liked the most
Try doing the same / spicing it up with your own style
Also try playing maps made by different mappers
The answer should come naturally to you
Topic Starter
_DT3
Well, I'll try it out but it's good to hear that from somebody who has loads of ranked maps :)
N0thingSpecial
jumps usually just needs structure, just copy ranked jumps maps you like.
Rilene

N0thingSpecial wrote:

and dont forget to rescale, rotate, reverse or flip it
Topic Starter
_DT3

Rilene wrote:

N0thingSpecial wrote:

Thanks, nice and easy :)
Rilene
late reply but dont be too dependent on copypasting ;)
Topic Starter
_DT3
Oh, I barely do that anyway, when nnot necessary :)
Kibbleru
theres not necessarily 'flow' in mapping jumps just make the angle at least less than 90 degrees and it will play well :)
chainpullz

Kibbleru wrote:

theres mot necessarily 'flow' in mapping jumps just make the angle at least less than 90 degrees and it will play well :)
Senpai teach my how to map 5.5* insanes. :^)
Frost

Rilene wrote:

N0thingSpecial wrote:

monstrata:
Ctrl + C, Ctrl + V, Ctrl + Shift + R --> 120