forum

KappaPad: A Capacitive osu! Keypad

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
fb39ca4
If you have seen my laser pointer video, or browse /r/osugame, you may have seen the capacitive keyboard I have been working on. Rather than using mechanical keyboard switches, there are touch-sensitive metal plates. It is similar to geckogates's metal plate input device, but does not require you to attach wires to your fingers. It is ultimately up to personal preference, but you might find streams to be easier when you don't have any actuation force or key travel.

The code and a description of how I built mine can be found on Github. https://github.com/fb39ca4/kappa-pad

mizuki-chan
Good idea and thanks for sharing your work!
Still stay with my keyboard, im used to it
Kaiden Mikami
Would buy... if it's not too expensive
Raren
Cool, I'll try to make one :P
iSatoru
Hm
Arnold0
Having made and played with a system similar to what Geckogates did, I must say that streams with a mechanical keyboards are far easyer for me.
But maybe that can work for other people, and not having to put wires on the fingers is a big improvement too.
mizuki-chan

Arnold0 wrote:

Having made and played with a system similar to what Geckogates did, I must say that streams with a mechanical keyboards are far easyer for me.
But maybe that can work for other people, and not having to put wires on the fingers is a big improvement too.
Put wires on fingers? I dont understand that. Why put wires on fingers? :o
Kvathe
I just finished building my own pad, thanks again to fb39ca4 for the designs. It's still in a bit of a prototype state until I get a proper base and solder the board, but it works great! Only took me a few hours once I got all the components together and I didn't have to edit the code at all.

I've only been able to play on it for one sleep-deprived hour last night, but I was pleased with the results. The lack of travel distance is very cool; I think you could compare the feeling to the sudden weightlessness that you experience after first switching from mouse to tablet. I might post more of my impressions later once I've properly mounted the pad.
Luqanted
another amazing creation made by you. keep up the good work yow!
Kroft
Oh, so this is the kappa pad. Nice invention. Hopefully the number of inventions just for osu! will increase. Happy inventing!
Kvathe

Kvathe wrote:

I might post more of my impressions later once I've properly mounted the pad.
Well I never actually got around to a proper build, but it's been a while so I figured I'd post a follow-up. I've been using the pad exclusively to play osu! for the last 4 months, and I'm pleased with how it works for me. I've improved significantly over this period, but the change was gradual and it's hard to say how of my improvement can be attributed to the kappa-pad. All I can say for sure is that it's perfectly functional and after several months of use I would choose it over a keyboard any time. Playing with mechanical switches feels very unwieldy.

Here's a video from last year of the pad in action:
https://youtu.be/6qSZyV2SU2o

If anyone else wants to try their hand at a build I'd be happy to help, or send you resistors (I've got a bunch of extra). Alternatively, you could try buying one of the touch keypads sold here, which seem like pretty much the same thing (I can't vouch for these):
https://www.etsy.com/shop/zzqPROX
chillahil
i installed all the libraries and triple checked all my connections but it still doesnt work!!
Kektaro

chillahil wrote:

i installed all the libraries and triple checked all my connections but it still doesnt work!!
is it spamming or is it not registering any inputs. also, did you make sure the send and receive pins are correct?
- Isla -
dude thats pretty pog