forum

Rate the Mapping Technique - Linear Beats

posted
Total Posts

Rate on a scale of 1 to 5 (Read post before answering)

5 - Love them!
45.28%
22.64%
20.75%
3.77%
1 - Hate them!
7.55%
Total votes: 53
Topic Starter
Sonnyc
Linear Beats

These are simple beats placed with a complete linear form. Even this might be one of the most basic patterns for mapping, using this pattern sparingly can form a nice emphasis for a certain part of the song!

Example: Amatsuki - Outer Science [Insane] 00:32:250 (5,6,7) & 00:37:943 (8,9,10)

[ Joey ]
I like linear flow in very small amounts. If the whole map is very linear, then my mouse feels very uncomfortable.

If it is a small amount, like those 3 hitcircle linear combos, then I love it! In fact, I studied combos from that exact map when I was a new mapper because I liked it so much. xD
Topic Starter
Sonnyc
Several linear flow worked pretty nice in the mouse only or touchscreen play, but yeah. Mouse+keyboard made a long linear flow uncomfortable lol
Mao
I use it a lot, loving it <3
Rilene
This pattern is awesome but not when if it is too long or too fast.
It's deadly when combined with speed and length.
Natsu
I love them
Endaris
I think they're very context-sensitive as the linear movement often causes sharp/non-flowy movements in conjunction with the previous/next pattern.
"Sparingly" is a good keyword for the opening post here as they may very well produce a questionable result if used carelessly in my opinion.
Kibbleru
i dislike them :X, awkward to play for me
chainpullz
Technically easier to play since they can be aimed with 0 acceleration vector for subsequent circles.

In practice they can feel weird because you are used to tapping when your velocity hits 0 which doesn't happen unless you go out of your way to snap (tapping each one with your tablet pen can help too).

Basically they just take some getting used to and then they actually are easier. Just takes a bit of consistency.

Overall decent way to add a bit of variety to a map imo.
Mekki
I like it, but honestly I think it does not fit well for lower diffs.
Sieg

Natsu wrote:

I love them