forum

Strict full alternating training script

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
G3T
DO NOT USE THIS FOR ONLINE RANKING. USING ANY SCRIPTS THAT AFFECT INPUT DATA osu! SEES IS AGAINST THE RULES AND WILL RESULT IN A BAN!!!

I'm a full alternater and over the past few weeks I've started playing more maps with burts/streams. However I wasn't paying too much attention to the pattern in which I was clicking those bursts/streams and I've developed (what I would consider) a bad habit of inconsistently starting them. That is I would end up double tapping one key or the other a lot in complicated patterns. This has culminated in me not being able to handle complicated patterns with any consistency.

The below is an autohotkey script that only allows the keys to be pressed in a strict zxzxzxzxzxzx pattern with no variation i.e. if you try to press out of sequence you miss. It's intended purely for training purposes because it's very easy to have misses unrelated to bad alternating when you're starting a map or after breaks.

If you're not familiar with AHK and you want to use the script then I'd suggest you google it and read their quickstart guide.

ahk script
#NoEnv  ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
; #Warn ; Enable warnings to assist with detecting common errors.
SendMode Input ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir% ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.

CurrentKey := 0

*z::
if (CurrentKey = 0) {
SetKeyDelay -1
Send {Blind}{z Down}
CurrentKey := 1
}
return

*z up::
SetKeyDelay -1
Send {Blind}{z Up}
return

*x::
if (CurrentKey = 1) {
SetKeyDelay -1
Send {Blind}{x Down}
CurrentKey := 0
}
return

*x up::
SetKeyDelay -1
Send {Blind}{x Up}
return
abraker
Just put a disclaimer in big red bold caps before this gets nuked:

DO NOT USE THIS FOR ONLINE RANKING. USING ANY SCRIPTS THAT AFFECT INPUT DATA osu! SEES IS AGAINST THE RULES AND WILL RESULT IN A BAN!!!

Feel free to use offline for practice though
inb4 still nuked. Sorry, I tried
Topic Starter
G3T

abraker wrote:

inb4 still nuked. Sorry I tried
Thanks. Hopefully the fact that this has only the potential for negatively affecting your scores sees that it doesn't get removed.
-Makishima S-
IMO this doesn't affect ranking at all since it just strict your keyboard keys to be pressed in certain order. You don't get any type of unfair advantage in gameplay by this.

As far as i see script does not time your keypresses, does not automaticaly press them for you or other kind of this thing which could be considered as a cheating.

Yet before using this i would recommend poking devs for confirmation and support for approval.
abraker

[Taiga] wrote:

IMO this doesn't affect ranking at all since it just strict your keyboard keys to be pressed in certain order. You don't get any type of unfair advantage in gameplay by this.
It was decided some time ago that using any scripts of this sort is not fair play irc.

Manipulation or alteration of the client such as score hacking, macroing, affecting the timescale on which the client operates, auto-aim, and anything that generally removes the human element from play is considered cheating. If you have to ask if something is considered cheating, and you have to use an external program to achieve that effect, it probably is.
Topic Starter
G3T

abraker wrote:

Manipulation or alteration of the client such as score hacking, macroing, affecting the timescale on which the client operates, auto-aim, and anything that generally removes the human element from play is considered cheating. If you have to ask if something is considered cheating, and you have to use an external program to achieve that effect, it probably is.
I can see how it could be considered 'removing the human element of play' because it does technically create a difference between my presses and what the game sees, though as something that only has the potential to worsen your score I wouldn't see it as cheating, more limiting oneself, much like forcing yourself to single tap something you would usually alternate, etc.
abraker
In any case, using this on online ranking will trigger the anti-cheat system, so legit or not, it will get you banned
Topic Starter
G3T

abraker wrote:

In any case, using this on online ranking will trigger the anti-cheat system, so legit or not, it will get you banned
From my own testing of this script and another this method of interacting with key-presses via AHK hasn't triggered any form of automatic anti-cheat. I'm fairly sure peppy would have to implement a much more invasive anticheat to do that.
abraker
I'm surprised. You are lucky that turned out to be the case, but I still won't recommend using it.
Topic Starter
G3T

abraker wrote:

I'm surprised. You are lucky that turned out to be the case, but I still won't recommend using it.
Yeah, I'm going to leave the warning up. I don't want anyone to use it online without thinking their might be a possibility of a ban unless there's an all clear from someone with the authority to say such a thing.
nrl
I don't understand why strict alternation would be preferable at all. Just keep doing what ever you're doing and learn to do it better, there's nothing wrong with being able to start patterns on either finger. It sounds like a useful skill, honestly.
Topic Starter
G3T

nrl wrote:

I don't understand why strict alternation would be preferable at all. Just keep doing what ever you're doing and learn to do it better, there's nothing wrong with being able to start patterns on either finger. It sounds like a useful skill, honestly.
I didn't explain the problem I was having as well as I could have. When you strict full alternate you start patterns with whatever fingers coming up next so you have to be able to do everything starting from any finger, which is indeed useful.

The problem I encountered was that I was favoring one finger for starting bursts/streams and sometimes adding double taps to complicated mixed patterns, and while this worked some of the time it would end up confusing my fingers and I'd miss notes.

After using the above script for a while I've found that going between 1, 1/2, 1/4 time patterns feels much smoother with strict alternation. I'm fairly sure I'd picked up the weird tapping style from trying to spam slightly too difficult songs and though I probably could have made it work with practice I'm fairly sure strict alternation will be more consistent in the long run.
nrl
It just seems like a really arbitrary constraint is all, though I guess I don't understand why people alternate to begin with.
Topic Starter
G3T

nrl wrote:

It just seems like a really arbitrary constraint is all, though I guess I don't understand why people alternate to begin with.
If you're not strict alternating then at some point you're double tapping and while that might have its uses in some situations you'd need to train for it and have some logical cue for using it. I had neither the training nor the cue and it was just ruining my timing.
_handholding

G3TTR1GG3R3D wrote:

nrl wrote:

If you're not strict alternating then at some point you're double tapping and while that might have its uses in some situations you'd need to train for it and have some logical cue for using it. I had neither the training nor the cue and it was just ruining my timing.
isnt it un-natural to alternate everything though? I mean if you wanted to strictly alternate without any errors what so ever Im pretty sure that would be harder to learn.
Generally people press one key for everything and only alternate when there are 1/4 spaced notes; so you dont really have to use your brain whilst playing you just click what you see. Where as alternating on the other hand, when playing more complicated rhythms you would have to stop the fluid motion to pause and keep in your head for which finger you just used. That seems way more harder and seems like youre forcing unnecessary difficulty and skill to play
Topic Starter
G3T

Kisses wrote:

isnt it un-natural to alternate everything though?
I'd agree. This was a conscious decision I made shortly after I started playing because I saw potential advantages in it and it wasn't too hard for me to pick up.

Kisses wrote:

Generally people press one key for everything and only alternate when there are 1/4 spaced notes; so you dont really have to use your brain whilst playing you just click what you see.
I was thinking about this just the other day. I think alternating is inherently more difficult than the normal style because you can't match a finger to a circle. I very much like the term 'finger reading'; with single tapping finger reading is completely natural but with alternating it's pretty much impossible.

The thing is that with enough practice I've found I don't think about which finger is doing what at all, it's just completely automatic. This is what lead me to not strict alternating because I was never sure which finger was doing what, it was just happening.

The script is very helpful because it means that I miss when I'm not strict alternating and my tapping pattern is most readily shaped by the feedback osu! gives me.

Kisses wrote:

Where as alternating on the other hand, when playing more complicated rhythms you would have to stop the fluid motion to pause and keep in your head for which finger you just used.
I would argue that alternating is just as fluid when you've learnt how to do it, and I find strict alternating the most fluid. Maybe it's just me but try tapping on a table like you're streaming quite slowly and then double the bpm, then go back to the slow stream and try to add a double tap in somewhere. I find the bpm doubling much more natural than the double tap, but that might be because I alternate and have little experience with the second pattern.

That seems way more harder and seems like youre forcing unnecessary difficulty and skill to play
I'd agree. I just like to make things difficult for myself.
Deva

Kisses wrote:

isnt it un-natural to alternate everything though? I mean if you wanted to strictly alternate without any errors what so ever Im pretty sure that would be harder to learn.
Generally people press one key for everything and only alternate when there are 1/4 spaced notes; so you dont really have to use your brain whilst playing you just click what you see. Where as alternating on the other hand, when playing more complicated rhythms you would have to stop the fluid motion to pause and keep in your head for which finger you just used. That seems way more harder and seems like youre forcing unnecessary difficulty and skill to play
This is a basic example of a person talking about something they have no clue about. Come back when you learn to alternate. And don't do this anymore. Ever.
Yuudachi-kun
Alternating is only for sliders.
I Give Up
You would get the same result with or without the script so it is not cheating.
_handholding

HK_ wrote:

This is a basic example of a person talking about something they have no clue about. Come back when you learn to alternate. And don't do this anymore. Ever.
lol which is why half my sentences ended with question marks.
fk you dumb cunt
show more