forum

[resolved] [Archived] Cursor stuck problem and possible solution (tablets)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
flyxian
I am using a Wacom tablet with osu and running in window mode. Recently, I had the problem that cursor suddenly stuck in there and never move. The left click is not working sometimes when I am not playing, if move cursor out of the window it can never move back.

I have tried full screen mode and different tablet option under input options. The problem still there.

I checked my tablet, it works fine. I have this problem after recent osu updates.

Can it be the problem of the game?
mm201
Set sensitivity to 1.0
Topic Starter
flyxian

MetalMario201 wrote:

Set sensitivity to 1.0
Thanks. But it was 1.0. I have never change that.
twistedice
I have a Wacom tablet as well and this happens to me sometimes in the middle of a song. If you hit the tablet surface with your stylus often then the tablet stops functioning randomly. The tablet light is still on but it doesn't work. The only fix I know of is to unplug and re-plug the USB after exiting osu. After that you have to go to Bamboo Preferences and click on Default and then restart osu. There are no new drivers that that I know of that fix this issue...
Pimpi

twistedice wrote:

I have a Wacom tablet as well and this happens to me sometimes in the middle of a song. If you hit the tablet surface with your stylus often then the tablet stops functioning randomly. The tablet light is still on but it doesn't work. The only fix I know of is to unplug and re-plug the USB after exiting osu. After that you have to go to Bamboo Preferences and click on Default and then restart osu. There are no new drivers that that I know of that fix this issue...
I had the same problem since I bought the pen tablet
Unplug, plug the tablet and restart osu! did not work :(
My tablet continues stopping when playing
If anyone know how to fix this issue please post the solution here
PS: There's a new driver for the pen version tablet in the official page so you can download it here: http://www.wacom.com/downloads/driver-detail.php?id=223
Daru
This happens to me from time to time as well.

Has been happening for quite a while, and my first inquiry (on IRC) was pretty much met with "Update your drivers".
It's worth noting that it only happens in osu!, though.

this happens to me to but I use a wireless mouse...
Waryas
Happens to me when the nib is dying.
peppy
Other threads have reported some tablets have a standby mode where they will be less responsive (usually if the pen has not touched the surface recently). This may be the issue, though I'm not sure if such a feature is implemented on any wacom devices.
Daru
I think that this is related to osu! more than the tablets.

This will happen only in osu!, and restarting osu! will fix this. It seems to happen randomly, and I have updated drivers for my tablet multiple times since this problem started and it hasn't fixed itself.

Is there a way to view a or send a log of events in osu! when this happens?
Shael_old
same.
peppy
osu! uses the Microsoft Ink API to interact with tablets (and avoid things like delays when tapping). I have tested for around 30 minutes using a wacom graphire4 without any problems. Therefore, if you are having problems, it is likely your drivers. There isn't really any logic in osu! that can fail. The reason it may only fail in osu! is because nothing else on your system actually handles the tablet using that API.

Try removing all wacom tablet drivers and using your tablet in relative movement mode (with MS drivers). See if this helps. In this mode it will not be using the Ink API if I recall correctly.
Daru

peppy wrote:

...and avoid things like delays when tapping
I actually experience a rather significant delay when I tap on my main computer.
That aside, I tried using my tablet on my laptop, which is running Windows 7 with no Wacom drivers, and the tablet was detected as a generic input device. While I did not get any errors within osu!, I believe using a tablet in relative movement mode rather defeats the purpose of using one in the first place. Furthermore, I don't see the uninstallation of Wacom drivers to be a practical solution to those of us affected by this.

Would it be possible for osu! to support the Wintab API as well?
http://www.wacomeng.com/windows/index.html
peppy
I am not calling it a feasible solution. I am asking you to test. Have you tested installing a fresh copy of the wacom driver on the other PC too?
Xact
If you figure out what it causing this issue, let us know. I've recently reinstalled my windows and started having this problem with my tablet in osu, I wasn't before. I have the latest drivers for the tablet directly from bamboo website (also tried the drivers on the disc that came with it that worked fine prior), I'm pretty clueless at this point and it seems to happen pretty randomly...once every hour or so it seems, 5-10 seconds where cursor doesn't respond.

The only difference that I know of between before I reformatted and now is before I had the "Tablet PC Input Service" disabled, which its been enabled since i've reinstalled. So I'm going to try disabling that again and report back if it resolves the issue.
Xact
The "Tablet PC Input Service" is the culprit as I suspected. I've played about 5 hours now without a single cursor freeze since disabling it.

To disable this service:

Press Windows key + R (or go to start and type this in the search bar) "services.msc"

Then locate the "Tablet PC Input Service":

Right click it and choose properties:

You'll see the above, press "STOP" to stop the service and then change the "STARTUP TYPE" to "DISABLED".

You should have no more cursor freezes.
peppy
Great to see someone show the initiative to find the source of this problem. I'm interested to know if it works for others.
Daru
My Tablet PC Input Service has been disabled, yet the problem is still occurring.

I actually suspected that it might be a corrupted dll, so I ran "sfc /scannow" from cmd.
I ran the scan, which found errors and reportedly fixed them, then restarted. Since restart, I have had no problems for about two hours of play, but upon recovering from sleep, I got a stuck cursor within minutes.

EDIT:
On a whim, I've restarted the "TabletServicePen" and "TabletServiceWacom" services, right after the cursor got stuck again. Testing now.
peppy
This is an interesting one. I know a lot of drivers have huge problems with restoring for sleep (I own at least four devices which have problems) so this could be a very real problem with the wacom drivers themselves.
Xact
I doubt its anything to do with drivers, it's likely something conflicting with them, not the drivers themselves.

The only thing I can say is, disable all unneeded services (if you know what you're doing) and cut everything running in the background (messengers, antivirus, etc) and see what happens then.
show more