forum

[Archived] Keyboard Randomly Stops Working

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Monkey_old_1
Problem Details:
I never had this issue until updating to the latest version of osu. I use my x and z keys on the keyboard for mouse clicks, a tablet, and disable mouse input and tablet clicks. I will be playing the game perfectly fine, then load a new song and suddenly the game will not recognize the keyboard input at all when playing any songs. This happens completely randomly. Some days it will never happen, and other days it will have almost every other song. To make things even weirder, the chat box recognizes my keyboard input just fine. Restarting osu does not resolve the issue. But, if I restart my computer, or simply close down osu and restart it after a 5-10 minute period of not playing, magically osu starts recognizing my keyboard input again. If anyone knows what could be causing this issue, please advise. Thanks. Oh, and before anyone suggests it, I have checked my keyboard bindings over and over again. The bindings are correct and not the issue.

osu! version: 20151228.2
Pawsu
if this is a problem with the latest update, try switching to Stable(Fallback) and see if that fixes your problem?
Topic Starter
Monkey_old_1

Pawsu wrote:

if this is a problem with the latest update, try switching to Stable(Fallback) and see if that fixes your problem?
Just tried that, and I'm already experiencing the issue again.
Soby
I dont know what keyboard do you have but have you tried uninstalling the drivers and looking for new ones?
Topic Starter
Monkey_old_1
I don't think that's the issue because the keyboard still works, but osu just isn't recognizing the input as mouse clicks. The chatbox recognizes the keyboard input just fine though. However, I tried your suggestion just in case. No issues so far.. but like I said, sometimes it takes days before the issue comes back. I'll update if it comes back again, or if it doesn't come back after a while.
Topic Starter
Monkey_old_1
Well the same thing happened again. Just for safe measure, I even tried another keyboard I had lying around, and the same problem occurred. So I think it's safe to say it has nothing to do with my keyboard/driver.
Topic Starter
Monkey_old_1
still having the problem
Topic Starter
Monkey_old_1
Still still having this problem
Topic Starter
Monkey_old_1
Some help would be nice.
JSE
Just curious, you say your Z/X keys randomly stop working... but does C work? Do you have any programs/drivers installed that work with your keyboard(s) or just plug and play?
Topic Starter
Monkey_old_1

jsebean wrote:

Just curious, you say your Z/X keys randomly stop working... but does C work? Do you have any programs/drivers installed that work with your keyboard(s) or just plug and play?
When the Z/X keys randomly stop working, the entire keyboard stops working, but only for keyboard bindings related to playing beatmaps. So, X, Z, C, and space will all not work. However, I can press F8 to open up the chat box and it will recognize these same keys as chat input just fine. Keyboard is just plug and play.
JSE

Monkey wrote:

jsebean wrote:

When the Z/X keys randomly stop working, the entire keyboard stops working, but only for keyboard bindings related to playing beatmaps. So, X, Z, C, and space will all not work. However, I can press F8 to open up the chat box and it will recognize these same keys as chat input just fine. Keyboard is just plug and play.
You don't by any chance have any other languages/keyboard layouts installed in Windows do you?

Probably not... since chat works for you... but worth a guess lol
Topic Starter
Monkey_old_1
No I don't have any other languages or keyboard layouts installed. Maybe it's worth mentioning that I am using Windows 10.
Topic Starter
Monkey_old_1

Here's a video showing the problem.. The problem starts around 9:15. It's hard to really show the problem, but basically I am pressing Z, X, C, but nothing is happening (you just have to take my word for it i guess..). Then I showed that I can talk in chat still. This problem is happening so frequently to me now that it makes it impossible for me to play for an extended period of time.. just look at the graph of my play history and you can see how this problem has affected how much I play. I barely play at all now, and will probably quit altogether if I can't fix this problem...
Pawsu
can you perhaps try with compatibility mode on?
curious to see if it's really osu! that's doing it. seems unlikely
just to make sure... is mouse clicks disabled? f10
Topic Starter
Monkey_old_1
So I just tried troubleshooting compatibility for osu and tried the recommend settings (which were Windows compatability mode: Windows 8).

So far, I have been playing for 2 hours without the issue coming back, which is by far the longest I think I have gone without it coming back. I will keep trying for the rest of the week before I conclude definitively that this was the problem. However, it is looking like osu might have compatibility problems with Windows 10.

FYI, to answer your other question, I usually play with mouse clicks disabled, but sometimes accidentally enable them since it's so close to f9. I don't think this is the issue since I'm pretty sure this problem has occurred both with mouse clicks disabled and enabled.
Topic Starter
Monkey_old_1
I know it hasn't been a week yet, but I'm fairly certain running osu in compatibility mode for windows 8 fixed the problem. I haven't had it since and have played for several hours each day.
Pawsu
Good to hear!
I did mean enabling Compatbility Mode in the osu! options though.
Topic Starter
Monkey_old_1
So the problem just came back... :(

I looked in the osu options, but I can't see the compatibility mode you mentioned.
Pawsu
Please make sure you're updated to Stable(Latest).
show more