forum

[New Guideline] One spinner per difficulty

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kurokami
It would be nice to have at least one spinner on each difficulty to create differences on the scoreboard.

As in Catch the Beat the percentage isn't affect too much, the spinners can give huge boost to the scores. At each spinner the players are free to choose which path they take to pass the spinner, this result different scores. Some path requires skill while other just pure luck but this makes them really interesting to play with.

Here is and example (https://osu.ppy.sh/b/320524) where no spinner can be found and you see the same scores everywhere. This makes the scoreboard a little bit boring and there is no way to tell who played the map better.
  1. Try to have at least one spinner in each difficulty to create variety in the map and fluctuation among scores. However, if a spinner just doesn't fit anywhere in the song, then there's no need to force one.

Discuss~
pkhg
wasnt this already done? cuz im sure ive read this before
idk what im doing here
Okoratu
this is part of
https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Standard_Ranking_Criteria
all you could do is suggesting to move this to the general ranking criteria.
Then again this doesn't make any sense at all for taiko
and mania doesn't have spinners
this might be why it's only in the standard rc
Deif
It does make sense for CtB though. Having this rule on the General Criteria wouldn't be the best option imo because of the reasons you explained.
Topic Starter
Kurokami
Yes, its the same rule as for Standard but I think it needs to be included in the Catch the Beat section too. Moving it to General makes no sense as you said. And adding it to somewhere else besides osu! won't hurt anyone imo.
ZiRoX
I agree with this.
BoberOfDarkness
I totally agree with this!

but notice that not every song have place for adding spinner ;;
Topic Starter
Kurokami
Thats why this is a guideline and not a rule. Its stated in the wording as well.
JBHyperion
This has my support as a guideline, more competition for score differentiation would be cool.
Underforest
Support to you! I'm bored of same scores :(
ztrot
well this has always been assumed I'm not sure how this is new but I do know in some cases spinners just don't fit as well as in other songs but I think it should be common sense that you try to apply at least one spinner to a diff.
Krah
It is already a guideline for std so there is literally nothing legit against adding it to ctb rc too.

loctav when ?
Myxo
Let's bring this forward I guess. Nobody seems to have an issue with it, the case is pretty obvious.

Try to have at least one spinner in each difficulty to create variety in the map and fluctuation among scores. However, if a spinner just doesn't fit anywhere in the song, then there's no need to force one.
Applying for Standard and CtB.
Krah

Desperate-kun wrote:

Applying for Standard and CtB.
It's already applied in standard https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Standard_Ranking_Criteria
Just need to add it here actually https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Catch_the_Beat_Ranking_Criteria
Myxo
I know, I just wanted to mention for which modes it applies after the guideline is added.
Arzenvald
can i spin my keyboard to get more score in osu!mania? xD

sorry bad joke, but this guideline is sounds really neat.. support this for now
MBomb
if this one starts drama i'll just die

but yeah, this'll be good (even though I'm probably the main person who forgets to add spinners in maps lmao)
BoberOfDarkness

- Magic Bomb - wrote:

if this one starts drama i'll just die

but yeah, this'll be good (even though I'm probably the main person who forgets to add spinners in maps lmao)

yea lol
Ibuki Mioda
Might as well, I sometimes see a little extra space in a lot of newer songs that has like 5-6 seconds of silence during break periods that a spinner could go in.
Sea_Food
Is this only for ctb? Spinners are the worst part of osu! standard, and only break the flow of the song, especially on easier difficulties, especially for mouse users. Nothing worse than playing [normals] on HR trying to move cursor as delicately as possible and suddently you have to shake your hand like a madman.

There are about 1 000 maps where the same few 470RPM spinners can compete with each other while having SS,DT,HR,HD,FL. Is there any reason to include this on more maps? Do you really look at high scores in [easy] and [normal] difficulties and think "ugh the top 50 scores are all the same, i wish I could see the top spinners dominating the high scores here aswell."
show more