forum

Multiplayer Voice Chat [Denied]

posted
Total Posts

do you want a voice chat feature in multiplayer?

Yes
68.93%
No
8.82%
I would use it if it was there
13.98%
Voice is pointless for Osu!
8.28%
Total votes: 737
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +151
Topic Starter
Dual Chikara
I play multiplayer Osu! fairly frequently, and myself as well as many of the people I play with would like a voice option implemented into the multiplayer system. I realize this might cause even more stress on our poor server, but with other games offering it seems as though the host or one dedicated user could handle the voice hosting to get around that. It would also be nice to have it within the program itself so that the voice function can be muted/closed upon starting to play so there isn't any interference from 8 people playing music through speakers back into their mics 8 times.

Am I alone in my desire here?
[DBF]
Use Team Speak, Skype, or something like this.

No. It's silly.
Sadame
It's got potential.

The music could be lowered when someone is talking so it wouldn't be too intrusive.
ArmyofDarkness
If you are saying it will mute the song when they speak then sure, that might work. But if it doesn't have that then it would be completely useless because you wouldn't be able to hear them.
Topic Starter
Dual Chikara

[DBF] wrote:

No. It's silly.
That's an option barring this, I suppose. But with that you have to coordinate usernames and whatnot for those services, make sure they're on, etc. This would simplify things a bit, and it's also something I've come to expect from most other multiplayer games.

I guess that last part is entirely personal, though.
[DBF]

Dual Chikara wrote:

That's an option barring this, I suppose. But with that you have to coordinate usernames and whatnot for those services, make sure they're on, etc. This would simplify things a bit, and it's also something I've come to expect from most other multiplayer games.

Well.. it's just my opinion about this.
Ari-chan_old
Well, if this will be available only in lobby, it's ok. (You know it will be not nice if someone will mute the song during the gameplay.)
Lemon Water_old
Sounds cool.
dkun

Dual Chikara wrote:

[DBF] wrote:

No. It's silly.

The osu! Ventrilo supports this as is. We have rooms specified for certain games, and we'll be more than happy to assist people with accounts and what not. Most people on the osu! Ventrilo carry the same username they have on osu!, so it's not too bad. Is this not simple enough?
Gens
Uh.

Moving to Feature Requests, I suppose.
GladiOol
'Voice is pointless for osu!'

You want to scream things like OMG THERES A NOTE WATCH OUT CLICK IT ON TIEM GUYZZ!!
Can't really see the point.
Derekku
I'd say that not enough people would be able to use this to make it worthwhile. Not that many people have a mic to begin with, so that's a big handicap right there. The only time I've done voice chat+multi is when I was already on Vent or Skype.
Mara

Derekku wrote:

The only time I've done voice chat+multi is when I was already on Vent or Skype.
This. No support.
Gabi
haha this sounds actually pretty great. I wouldn't support for in-game voice chat while playing a song, but maybe in the multiplayer room ^^
Galkan
I'm strongly against it.
Lesjuh
If the room master can decide if voice chat is allowed or not I'm fine with it. And voice chat would be really cool while playing but only in breaks.
Xanek

Galkan92 wrote:

I'm strongly against it.
^
and then if it was somehow implemented, here would surely be someone mic spamming somewhere
awp
Because we don't complain about net latency enough.

One of the beautiful aspects about Bancho is how small the bandwidth footprint on it is. As optional as it would be, you're still enabling those with faster connections/more bandwidth to alienate those with less. Unless there was a per-user opt-out (versus the Room Master controlling it) I'd have to be strongly against it.

I can sympathize with the reason for suggesting it, though. Unlike almost every other "this application already does what you want" feature request, managing voip using something like vent/skype is enough overhead to make it too inconvenient to be worthwhile.
Topic Starter
Dual Chikara
I think a lot of the complaints being voiced can be worked around with enough thought.
1. Mic spamming: most other places that offer a voice feature also offer the ability to mute on a player-to-player or global basis as well. I don't see why this would need to be any different.
2. Song muting: there would only be a reason to mute the song for the person speaking; their voice could be added over the song (at a selectable volume) in the lobby or during breaks like the drum and cymbal sound effects found on the beatmap itself-- no need to stop the music unless YOU feel the need to talk (presumably at an opportune moment).
3. THERE'S NOTHING TO SAY!: Well yeah, if you're voice chatting DURING the song you're probably doing something wrong, but it would be nice in the lobby where a lot of conversation happens anyway, and sometimes we DO want to gripe about that last spinner during breaks but don't have time to type and hide the chat window again.
4.Not many people have a mic: I don't know about that, they're common enough playing other games. Maybe some people would even go out and pick up a cheap ten dollar headset if they could use it here.
5. It'll slow down the server: I said in the original post that most of this could (I think, at least) be handled on the player end to leave Bancho out of the chat thing entirely. We could even have a dedicated player, an "operator" if you would, with a fast connection that handles the voice chat separate from the ever-changing host. And of course if you don't have a mic or you're running Australian dial-up you can always just disable the whole thing and be done with it-- and if you want to talk there's always text; no need to ruin everyone's fun because you can't talk.
Teara

Gabi wrote:

haha this sounds actually pretty great. I wouldn't support for in-game voice chat while playing a song, but maybe in the multiplayer room ^^
This :3
show more