forum

[resolved] osu! keeps jerking from time to time

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kuraiko55
Hey folks,

I'm discovering a pretty annoying problem when playing osu!.

As mentioned in the subject, osu! is jerking sometimes. In other words: The beatmap (excluding the sound) stops for a millisecond more than once in a beatmap, but not on all beatmaps and if, not always at the same spots. It appears completly random!

As you can imagine this problem keeps me missing hit boxes and often completly thows me out of the beat. It's driving me mad and I'm not able to discover what causes this problem.

I don't have such problems while playing other games. My computer (check specs below) is able to run games like "TES V: Skyrim" on very high graphic setting including extended graphic mods without getting struck. But why does it struck while playing osu!? Even if it does just for a few milliseconds it shouldn't do so imao!

And don't worry, of course I've searched some solutions on the internet and this forum already, but none either matched my problem nor solved the issue.

Well, I'm not sure what more info I should add here so first of all I'm gonna list the specifications of my computer below. If anyone has ANY idea or hint on how to solve this or needs more information to do so let me know.

Best regards,
Kuraiko

Computer Specifications:
Processor: AMD FX-8120
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Memory: 8 GB DDR3
Graphic: Geforce GTX 670 -OC-

osu! version: 20150612cuttingedge
Bramble
So I'm thinking that you need to just change a few settings; I used to have this problem, and this is what I did and now as far as I know, it isn't happening anymore. First make sure that the storyboard or video is disabled, since that's the easiest solution. Then you should go to task manager, and find the process osu!.exe, and give it a high priority. The only downside to that part is that you have to do it every time you start osu, but hey it worked for me. Hope this helps ^^
Topic Starter
Kuraiko55
Hey BrambleClaw,

I already had videos disabled but storyboard and combo-pictures were still enabled though I play osu! dimmed to 0% anyway. I disabled those now and gonna set the priority of osu! to "Realtime".

Also a tip for you:
To always start an application with a specified priority open its properties and add the desired priority to the path, e.g. "D:\Games\osu!\osu!.exe -high" to start osu! always with "High" priority. For more of such parameters you can check the command prompt (cmd.exe) and type "start /?" (without ") to get a full list with explanations about starting parameters.

Best Regards,
Kuraiko
Jose

Kuraiko55 wrote:

Hey BrambleClaw,
Also a tip for you:
To always start an application with a specified priority open its properties and add the desired priority to the path, e.g. "D:\Games\osu!\osu!.exe -high" to start osu! always with "High" priority. For more of such parameters you can check the command prompt (cmd.exe) and type "start /?" (without ") to get a full list with explanations about starting parameters.
I was curious about that priority path you just mentioned, I tried using it but didnt work. After doing a little research I found a way to open Osu! in realtime priority, this is the path im using: cmd.exe /c start "osu!" /realtime "C:\Program Files (x86)\osu!\osu!.exe" , just copy and paste in your osu! path under shortcut tab on properties -> http://puu.sh/ioPX0/9263839be3.png (Sorry about the spanish in that pic.)
abraker

Kuraiko55 wrote:

"D:\Games\osu!\osu!.exe -high" to start osu! always with "High" priority.
There was an update that forces osu! to start as a high priority process recently, so that is unnecessary.

Jose wrote:

After doing a little research I found a way to open Osu! in realtime priority
Please don't, that will screw up with the more fundamental system tasks if Windows does allow such a thing. Also this will not help.

Kuraiko55 wrote:

As mentioned in the subject, osu! is jerking sometimes. In other words: The beatmap (excluding the sound) stops for a millisecond more than once in a beatmap, but not on all beatmaps and if, not always at the same spots. It appears completly random!
Verify that this is cutting-edge/beta only and not also on stable. For us to know more about what's going on, press ctrl+F11 so that you see a profiler graph on the bottom right and post a screenshot shortly after it jerks.
Topic Starter
Kuraiko55
Hey abraker,

osu! indeeds start at High priority even without forcing it. I haven't checked this before so I didn't notice.

About the profiler graph, that'll be difficult to make a screenshot in this short window the game is jerking, but I will try.
I guess the graph won't be shown in a replay?

Jose wrote:

I was curious about that priority path you just mentioned, I tried using it but didnt work. After doing a little research I found a way to open Osu! in realtime priority, this is the path im using: cmd.exe /c start "osu!" /realtime "C:\Program Files (x86)\osu!\osu!.exe" , just copy and paste in your osu! path under shortcut tab on properties -> http://puu.sh/ioPX0/9263839be3.png (Sorry about the spanish in that pic.)
Thanks for this reply, too. As abraker wrote my way of forcing osu! to start in realtime doesn't work because osu! automatically sets its priority to "High". But it's interesting to know that it is possbile to go around that mechanic by using the command you found out, though one shouldn't do so as also mentioned by abraker.

We can't see that screenshot.
Your client does not have permission to get URL <..> from this server.
Upload it elsewhere (imgur, puush, whatever) please.
Topic Starter
Kuraiko55

VeilStar wrote:

We can't see that screenshot.
Your client does not have permission to get URL <..> from this server.
Upload it elsewhere (imgur, puush, whatever) please.
Thanks for noticing me about that. Usually uploading pictures to my google drive and giving free access to anyone worked fine ^^
Well, I've uploaded it elsewhere so it should work now.
abraker
I think this is a dupe then. Same problem I mentioned here. The draw procedure is spiking up.
Topic Starter
Kuraiko55
So at this point there is no solution for this issue and I have to deal with it until it get fixed.
Did I get this correct? Or have I overseen the solution and this thread you linked? (I hope so >_<)
abraker
Yup or go to the stable release stream for now.
Topic Starter
Kuraiko55
So, I just waned to let you know that since I switched to the Stable Release the jerky dupe didn't appear anymore.
Maybe that solved the problem though I can't imagine why it happens.

Well, thanks everybody for helping to find a solution on this :)
VeilStar
Marking this as resolved then. Feel free to provide more information (preferrably a video or screenshot with the frametime display enabled) about this issue you're having in cuttingedge in this thread t/259747
Topic Starter
Kuraiko55

VeilStar wrote:

Marking this as resolved then. Feel free to provide more information (preferrably a video or screenshot with the frametime display enabled) about this issue you're having in cuttingedge in this thread t/259747
As for making a video I've got a question. Would this issue, if happened, re-appear in a replay so I can make a video of that replay or would I have to record each and every paly? As mentioned, the issue doesn't appear in each play.
VeilStar

Kuraiko55 wrote:

As for making a video I've got a question. Would this issue, if happened, re-appear in a replay so I can make a video of that replay or would I have to record each and every paly? As mentioned, the issue doesn't appear in each play.
It probably wouldn't re-appear in a replay, but it's possible that you'd get it just as randomly when watching a replay. I'm not sure.
Topic Starter
Kuraiko55
Very well. I'm gonna try next weekend then.
Have a nice week ^^