forum

Embed irc input field on home page when logged in

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
awp
Another thought inspired by the fact that I want to goof off at work yet someone got mibbit banned

The homepage has an irc feed on it, showing the last 10 lines of text received. When logged into the site (and not on the irc ban list) add an input text box that will submit messages to irc. Display of online status may be implemented similarly to mibbit's "idle" status; after sending a message you will be displayed as "online" for the next n minutes (let n =3~5)

Limitations:
Cannot see private messages/other channels. However, were the homepage chat expanded to enable such a feature, mibbit could be removed entirely, and thus only registered osu! accounts could participate in chat from the web. This excludes external IRC clients, so people who want to spam chat anonymously through proxies could still technically do it, but a "!system irc disable" would control this more effectively, by allowing registered osu! users access to still chat via the website whilst prohibiting access to anyone not on an osu! account.

Not familiar with the implementation effort; to get a basic input box to contribute to irc seems relatively easy, but given the above concerns there's more to it than just that
Derekku
I still think that tying irc to one's osu! account is a better solution than flat-out banning mibbit or having to use !system irc disable frequently, but this request still offers some merit...
Topic Starter
awp

Derekku Chan wrote:

I still think that tying irc to one's osu! account
It is definitely better, but I think there are either some drawbacks or some other factors to the equation that have delayed or denied that implementation.
Jarby
This sounds like a great way to address the problems that Mibbit has.