forum

How Did You Discover Anime?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
EshkushMeh xD
A friend of mine let me borrow her collection of anime DVDs and then I got hooked :D
After that, I searched for more anime to watch and then... I became an otaku :)

(... or weeaboo. Which is the right term? ._.)
Gumpy
It just sort og happened didn't even know it was anime when I started.
Green Platinum
Was sick at home from a school sport hockey match
Turned on the TV that was on the sci-fi channel during an anime block.
Sat ratched single random episodes from Blood+, Black lagoon and Cowboy Bebop.
Found them interesting so I got the rest of the episodes and watched them.
Although I did watch stuff like CCS, MAR and Crush gear turbo before then never got me engaged tho.
Renevant
My sisters were watching haruhi in the living room and it piqued my interest
also from watching toonami and pokemon as a kid.
a1l2d3r4e5d6
I grew up in the Philippines. As a kid, there were 2 cartoon channels (Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon) and a crazy ton of channels airing animes. So I was exposed to animes more than cartoons.
Renevant

a1l2d3r4e5d6 wrote:

there were 2 cartoon channels (Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon)
the only two that matter
deadbeat
snuck upstairs at 11pm when i was still at school. think i was 15 or 16 at the time. started watching cartoons on cartoon network. and suddenly adult swim happened.
Nathanael
I was about 12-14 years old that I discovered anime from watching Shakugan No Shana I and Toradora! at one of the channels at our TV.
TV 5 at PH, dubbed.
CodeS
When I was 7 years old my family got a paid television system for my house, it was awesome.

One night I decided to stay up late watching Disney Channel, I was never the "cartoon" kid, DBZ and Sailor Moon was nope at the time (I still watched them later in early 2000's), same with saint seiya, but that movie I saw that night was something else.
Of course, not being used to stay up late, I fell asleep at half of the movie.

After that I remember spending every night for like 2 months on that same channel waiting for that same movie, until it happened, the movie's name was "Kiki's Delivery Service". I fell in love with it, and up to this point, it's still my favorite anime movie ever.

1 year later we changed to another cable system, one which had "Locomotion", at the same time we got our first PC (Windows 95 I remember, it was awesome) with Internet (It was so sloooooow), I learned what Anime truly was, and with the help of Locomotion and Kiki's Delivery Service I fell 100% in love with it.

That was 17 years ago.

And I still love Anime
DeletedUser_3473174
-
Nub1
when I was a kid (around 7-8 I guess) my childhood friend make me watch anime with him when I visit his house

as far as I know that now he already stopped watching them
(bc he moved to another city when we were still around 10 yrs old so I dont really know)
Mofu kun
i first watched a random nichijou clip on youtube

then i watched nichijou

then i watched more anime
piruchan
I watched some dubbed anime like DBZ and Doraemon on local channels as a kid. But it was Cardcaptor Sakura on Animax (somewhere around 2005, I think) that got me hooked. I had a 6 years break until I got internet and learned that anime is seasonal.
domSaur
my computer broke in april 2013 and didn't got it replaced till the end of the year(which is the time i started playing osu!) and i only have the iPad for internet.
some time later around the time of the Attack on Titan hype i saw in the history a stream site which my lil bro prolly used to watch.. there i watched aot(as my classmates rly did talk about it) and back then it was still ongoing so i was left hanging(as i said, my pc broke and had nowhere to play) and began to watch the other series i've heard in the past.. then after the show ended i've heard about new animes and soon began following them by seasons.
Xerxes Break
Onii-san tell me about it.
Granger
I bought weird backwards written comics in a book store. Then i bought more.
Rio-
When I watched Fairy Tail and Sword Art Online on 2012 back then. So I started to watch more anime after that.

Although I "discovered" Anime first time by watching some dubbed Anime aired in Local Channels (like DBZ and Doraemon) when I was a child.
sirscrafty_old
When I was 4, my big sister introduced me to Spongebob. My life had been changed, and from that point on it was my mission to watch every episode of the Anime epic which was Sponugu Bobu!: Pantsu no Shikaku!. It was an amazing experience, and one that I would never regret nor forget. It was a true beauty, and because of this, Spongebob is my favorite anime.
BeatofIke
I "technically" discovered anime via toonami is a kid around 1997 (at age 7). Although I didn't have any knowledge about the term "anime" nether do I know what it is. I just thought of it as a regular cartoon action show. It wasn't until late 2004 (7 years later) as a freshman in highschool (9th grade/14 years old) when a friend of my brother's introduced us to drawing anime (and eventually anime/japanese music in 2005 by letting us borrowing some of his burned CDs. We would then use his CD's and save the songs into our Xbox lol). We eventually watched anime via Adult Swim as well. A few more years passed by (hello 2007 and 2008) and we were introduced by one of my father's old college friend who happens to have a son who loves anime as well. He introduced us to LimeWire (which, as you know today, does not exist anymore), ecchi anime (Tenjou Tenge and Jubei Chan), and more anime music. That's how I (and my brother, RIP) discovered anime.

Fun Fact
Discovering anime has actually lead us into Dance Dance Revolution (DDR) in late 2005 (which has a lot of Japanese music) and we loved it. A year later (in 2006) when we finally have high-speed Internet for the first time, we took advantage of the Internet mainly watching YouTube videos of anime (including some AMV), mainstream music, and DDR gameplay (some of those videos were actually Stepmania and ITG, but we didn't know at the time). Eventually, we were lead to a video of a Stepmania player named Arch0wl playing quasar in 1.5x speed receiving all perfects resulting in an AAA rank. At the end of that video, displays a website called Arch0wl.com. We didn't check the website at first, but my brother (RIP) eventually did when he was sick and was absent from school (and I would assume that he watched that video again and checked out that link which leads us to, you guessed it, Flash Flash Revolution (FFR) in late 2006). He ended up trying the game out and eventually introduced the game to me and I ended up loving the game. This eventually lead us to Stepmania a month or so later in 2006 which contained more music -> then to more anime and anime/japanese music -> and from there, everything just branches out from 2007 to 2011 such as touhou, eroge (didn't know it called a visual novel/eroge at the time. I only thought of it as a game lol), Japanese game shows, anime streaming and anime (English dub only) downloading websites, and so on and so forth. I did discovered osu! around 2010, but the game didn't interest me at first sight, so I didn't even bother with the game and skipped it (only to end up playing it a year later (Hello 2011) and ended up loving it to death lol) -> more touhou in early to mid 2011-> eventually giving osu! a try in September 2011 (a month after my brother started) in a new laptop (since multi-accounting was forbidden and we were smart enough to not play at the same computer lol). The first thing I discovered in osu! was nightcore music, much more eroge OP music/video, much more anime/japanese/touhou music and their respective videos, much more anime, etc. Over the years of playing osu!, I ended up becoming a weeaboo hahaha (what has osu! done to me XD). Anyways, I will end from here, thanks for your time. :P
Pituophis
Probably seeing random anime episodes on Toonami. As much as I hate to admit it, Naruto got me interested in anime. Luckily my taste in anime has evolved over time.
show more