forum

Hardware Lag Auto-Calibration

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +20
Topic Starter
Daru
Simple "tap to the beat to calibrate" function.

For me, it's not just visual/audio lag from my monitor, but also hardware lag from my tablet; osu! registers clicks a few dozen milliseconds after I hear the pen hitting the tablet, and using the manual calibration is difficult because there is no standard to compare to for lag on the input device.
awp
I don't know why I/someone else didn't make this feature request before (I think peppy waved it off) but I do support/want this. My RB2 drums are at least a good 30ms late so I can't effectively play Taiko with them.
Sakura
+1 even tho i dont use a tablet, this is probably a good idea
Zetta
I like it. that way you would get the actual lag it takes for your mind to process where a note is, hit it and move to the next one.
anonymous_old

Zettaslow wrote:

I like it. that way you would get the actual lag it takes for your mind to process where a note is, hit it and move to the next one.
What.
mm201
It's more important for the hitsounds to line up with the music than the physical taps.

In order to line up both the physical taps and the hitsounds with the music, osu! would need to see into the future.
qlum
I had the same problem on my brothers touch screen it was around 60ms late so support
Zetta

strager wrote:

Zettaslow wrote:

What.
...Yeah
awp

strager wrote:

Zettaslow wrote:

What.

Slowbro wrote:

Topic Starter
Daru

MetalMario201 wrote:

It's more important for the hitsounds to line up with the music than the physical taps.

In order to line up both the physical taps and the hitsounds with the music, osu! would need to see into the future.

Yeah, as it is now, I'm putting on headphones loud enough so that I don't hear the taps, and only the hitsounds.

That said, I'd rather use the taps as my reference, and just turn hitsounds off, or have osu! simply play hitsounds regardless of when you hit, and play the "miss" sound when it registers the miss.

Sakura301 wrote:

+1 even tho i dont use a tablet, this is probably a good idea
It would be applicable to any device, like taiko or rb drums.
anonymous_old

Daru wrote:

or have osu! simply play hitsounds regardless of when you hit, and play the "miss" sound when it registers the miss.
I wanted this when I first started osu!, and still want to try it.
mm201

strager wrote:

Daru wrote:

or have osu! simply play hitsounds regardless of when you hit, and play the "miss" sound when it registers the miss.
I wanted this when I first started osu!, and still want to try it.
But the whole point of hitsounds is feedback on timing. I do not support this.
Topic Starter
Daru

MetalMario201 wrote:

But the whole point of hitsounds is feedback on timing.
The problem is that these become unreliable as feedback once the lag between input and hitsounds becomes great enough to be noticeably out of sync with the song, and sounds made from input devices, like drums, are loud enough to be used as guides for timing. Of course, this logic is only applicable if the hitsounds and input are really that far off, as it is for some peripherals. Although it would involve a toggle, I feel that it would be well-placed as it gives added functionality for certain gameplay scenarios.
awp
a toggle isn't necessary as setting the input offset to 0 would essentially be what it is now
mm201
Why on earth would a peripheral DESIGNED FOR A RHYTHM GAME have such horrible input lag?
Topic Starter
Daru

MetalMario201 wrote:

Why on earth would a peripheral DESIGNED FOR A RHYTHM GAME have such horrible input lag?
Because it's cheaper to calibrate lag on the software side then to make fast peripherals.
Also, the average Joe wouldn't care/notice that there's 70ms of lag on his Rock Band drums.

Hence the suggestion.
anonymous_old

awp wrote:

a toggle isn't necessary as setting the input offset to 0 would essentially be what it is now
The toggle would be for hitsounds to always play when they would play if Auto played the map, for example, instead of playing when the user hits the note (which may be 70ms after the player actually hits the note).
nickdoesrule
i put loud heaphones on and play trying to time my hits on my keyboard with just the sound, and i miss every single note. how do i fix this
mm201
You need to adjust your Universal Offset. It's under Options in the main menu.
Please don't bump ancient topics, especially to post off-topic things.
Zetta
A one year necro post. Nice.