forum

Having more freedom in changing the time signature.

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +1,364
Topic Starter
[TaikoTori]
So, as it stands at the moment, the time signature window in the Timing Setup Panel is very restricted. You can only change the beats per par but not the meter
(or: in x/y, changing the x is possible but y isn't.)

Besides this, Anything above 7/4 requires going into the .osu file and hardscript it there. (For example, if one wants to use 17/4). If i then want to use 17/16, which is the original time signature i was aiming for, i need to 4x the BPM in order to be able to time correctly. But doing that is unacceptable for rank.

So, it would be nice if i could change the time signature freely. I guess it wouldn't be that much work, either.

If anyone is interested:
Bara-
x/16 ?
When do you need that?
Are you sure about this?
Lach
I brought this up a long time ago, and the answer was that cases like this are pretty extreme, to which I kinda agree with. But I don't see why we only have freedom to change the numerator. I support this.
Bara-
But when does it even get used?
Topic Starter
[TaikoTori]
Listen to the example i posted in the Spoilerbox, baartje123, you will see that there indeed is 17/16 and whatnot.
It does exist. And yes, it is kind of extreme, but yet again, there are musical genres dedicated to extreme time signatures, for example Djent (arguably a genre) or math rock/metal, aswell as Progressive Metal and Rock. I know that these musical genres arent prominent in osu! but that means that we need to fill up that blank spot, or not?
Bara-
Actually, what does n/4 mean, but then I mean the 4
Topic Starter
[TaikoTori]
Easily said, its just the way of counting when you have a note. In a 4/4, you can squeeze in 4 quarter notes in each bar. If you have 7/8, you can get in 7 eight notes in each bar and so on.
Bara-
From how I understand this, you can do it by setting beatsnap divisor to something else then 1/4
Sea_Food

[TaikoTori] wrote:

If you have 7/8, you can get in 7 eight notes in each bar and so on.
How is that different from 7 seventh notes in each bar?

Anyway how about a feature that you can just time notes freely as in select the millisecond its placed on.
Lach

Sea_Food wrote:

[TaikoTori] wrote:

If you have 7/8, you can get in 7 eight notes in each bar and so on.
How is that different from 7 seventh notes in each bar?

Anyway how about a feature that you can just time notes freely as in select the millisecond its placed on.

baraatje123 wrote:

From how I understand this, you can do it by setting beatsnap divisor to something else then 1/4
I don't think either of you understand what is being requested here. This is about signature, not snap divisor. There's rules that contradict eachother in that you cannot double the bpm, and your map must be properly timed using correct signatures. If you cannot set the signature correctly, and you cannot double the bpm, there's a problem.
Fullerene-
I've mapped several songs that use 7/8 and it's a bit frustrating that there's no rankable solution to this, since time signatures are locked to n/4

I'd support but no stars oop
Shiro
This is actually a fairly important feature. Supporting, I hope this will get added eventually.
Little
Agree with this. Current limitations force the use of incorrect time signatures to get the correct technical behaviour from the game. It'd be great if we could have this so we can use correct time signatures, like when the music is in 2|4, 3|8, 5|8, 6|8, 7|8, etc.
hehe
i agree, some songs are in n/8 signatures ;_;
Stefan
It'd be useful for low BPM Maps in Taiko to prevent barline spam.
Okoratu

Stefan wrote:

It'd be useful for low BPM Maps in Taiko to prevent barline spam.
isnt taiko able to just omit unnecessary bar lines to avoid the spam except you mean red line spam

anyway if timing a song correctly includes setting the correct timing signature then idk how this isnt a thing yet as it would greatly simplify the life for many
benguin
Couldn't you just multiply/divide the bpm by a particular factor to simulate a traditional time signature? (BPM's and time signatures are artificial constructs, the only thing they influence is the how a note's representation with respect to duration appears in sheet music)
ac8129464363

benguin wrote:

Couldn't you just multiply/divide the bpm by a particular factor to simulate a traditional time signature? (BPM's and time signatures are artificial constructs, the only thing they influence is the how a note's representation with respect to duration appears in sheet music)
technically that works, but it's unrankable.

Lach wrote:

There's rules that contradict eachother in that you cannot double the bpm, and your map must be properly timed using correct signatures. If you cannot set the signature correctly, and you cannot double the bpm, there's a problem.
support, this is actually quite important and should be added soon
Halogen-
Very strongly supporting this; this is an absolute necessity for osu!mania mappers who have the capability of mapping complex songs. osu!'s current structure for time signature is not strong enough to accommodate for strange time signatures.

I just recently got into osu!mania mapping after being someone who creates charts for other rhythm games, and I just found out that improper time signature is something that can disqualify maps from being ranked. I'm currently mapping Mirage Garden by xi, and anyone in here who has enough of an understanding will be able to tell you that it wouldn't be possible to appropriately accommodate for all of the timing changes unless I attempt to work around x/16 and x/8 time signatures by using extended x/4 time signatures. And as we know, incorrect time signatures for longer than two bars need to be fixed.

As benguin said, if the time signature can't be set appropriately in osu! and improper time signature is unrankable, that's a problem that could be mediated by doubling the BPM. Except... doubling the BPM causes a map to be unrankable, and we're back to square one all over again. :(
AndRay2014
I agree and support this feature. (No stars though sorry).
Even on Cytus, a popular rhythm game that's source for a lot of beatmaps, has a 7/4 and 11/8 song, two 5/4 songs, and so on.
show more