forum

Assisting new mappers while they map

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Shohei Ohtani
This just came out of the blue, but just a little something I thought up of to maybe help new mappers.

Many first-time mappers often end up not reading the FAQ (Myself included.), so instead of going "omg fgt read the FAQ.", we can instead show helpful little messages to players to signify what each thing does and common things new mappers don't know. This doesn't have to include massive advanced stuff (Like how to storyboard like a man.), but it can be little things that can help new mappers.

Just suggestions for each category
Timing:
(Upon inserting the mp3 and entering timing for the first time): Introductory message informing the player about the little messages that would appear, and other things neccesary.
(Upon clicking ok on the previous message): A little bit about how BPM and offset are important, and to make sure that you make the ticking (using non-musical terms here.) match the music as much as possible.
(Upon adjusting the BPM or Offset of a song once notes are placed): A message about re-snapping and how to do so, also making sure to note "double-check)
(Upon adjusting the BPM of a song once sliders are placed): A message about re-calculating slider lengths and about how you have to re-check them after using it to re-space and re-adjust.)

Design:
(Upon entering design for the first time): A little bit about what storyboarding is. Also guidelines on backgrounds.

Compose:
(Upon entering compose for the first time): A bit about "omg this is where you make the betmap.", and other assorted things neccesary.)
(Upon clicking "circle" for the first time (I'm not sure if first-time beatmappers start on circle or select.)): A bit about circles and a note "To place them going along with the music."
(Upon clicking "slider" for the first time): A bit about sliders and the 3 types, how to place them, and how to add repeats.
(Upon clicking "spinner" for the first time): A bit about spinners and the "Auto must accomplish 2000 to be rankable." rule.
Upon clicking any hitsound: Just noting that hitsounds make your map more fun, etc etc. Also, noting "You may adjust the type of hitsound used (Loud/Soft) and the volume of the hitsounds via the "Song Setup" panel under "Audio."
(Upon turning off "Distance Snap" for the first time): A note about how removing distance snap will cause many problems and how about distance snap is godly and everything.

Uploading a Beatmap:
(Upon clicking "Upload Beatmap", and More than 5 large (not just a grid off, but noticable) and/or another message in AIMod.): The user will be told to please open AIMod. If the user only has spacing issues, this message will be shown only once before the user will be allowed to submit. If there is an issue such as an unsnapped note, too short of a mp3 (preventing WIPs going "men I don't wanna map this bye."), or any other message, the map will not be able to be submitted until this message has dissapeared. NOTE: This, if implemented, would be shown for ALL users not following the criteria for uploading a map.
(Upon clicking "Upload Beatmap", and not activating or already passed the first message): Congratulating on omg first beatmap, and adding things such as "The ranking process is not easy, so make sure to be dedicated to your map to get it ranked" "As a regular member, you can upload 2 beatmaps, so think carefully before submitting a map!" "If you get a map ranked, you gain an extra slot to make beatmaps."

Song Setup seems self-explanitory to me.

You can just say "Read the FAQ >: (" instead of making all of this, but then of course people are too concerned with making a cool beatmap that they don't really decide to read the FAQ (Nor did they probably read the R&R (Myself included)). Although having little messages shown to you makes things a lot easier for the beginning beatmapper, and for modders in general, as they don't have to go "Insert Timing Point, Add Background, mp3 too long, etc."

I'm pretty sure some of this stuff will be added with osz2, but I'm just bringing this up for those things that might not be in there.
awp
This sounds like a mapping tutorial integrated right into the client. I think a faster method would be to notify/require new mappers to read the relevant FAQ articles when they're editing for the first time, but this isn't a bad idea, I'd say. Just feels slightly unnecessary.

An integrated reference guide/FAQ reader, however, could be useful and from there this could work well by providing a jump to the relevant FAQ item.