forum

Video codecs

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
bagnz0r
I'd like to propose something that would make maany people around here really happy.
How about blocking resource heavy codecs (on the stage when mapper ads video to the map) like H264/AVC?
Also, checking video resolution would be nice. I have plenty of maps who use H264/AVC and/or have high resolution video.
They lag terribly. That makes osu's requirements go insanely up.
Yingwu
Didn't they add the 'no video download/mod' for this?
Ph0X
From what I heard, h264 is usually not allowed, and if there are any that are rank, then I think the BAT should be blamed (not sure if it's an actual rule though).

Also, like noxie said, you can simply download without video or just put novid. If you really want the video that bad, re-encode it yourself (but that won't work with osz2)
ShaggoN
When H264/AVC codec used, it will raise filesize extremely. I don't think it will pass through the BAT's.
Ephemeral
h264 is generally too large anyway.

Is this really a problem? I have an enthusiast rig so I don't notice it
peppy
?????????????????????????????????????????

h264 is one of the most EFFICIENT codecs in existence (if not THE most efficient). How can you say it creates large files?

The problem is the huge cpu drain it requires to decode the video, not the filesize.

h264 videos can be used if they are low resolution, as the required resources drop quite considerably. It can be considered a case-by-case rule, in my opinion.
ShaggoN
/me noob :cry:
awp

ShaggoN wrote:

When H264/AVC codec used, it will raise filesize extremely. I don't think it will pass through the BAT's.
It won't pass through BSS, nevermind the BAT.
anonymous_old

awp wrote:

ShaggoN wrote:

It won't pass through BSS, nevermind the BAT.
h264 doesn't submit anymore?

Or are you referring to absurd file sizes?
Zekira
H264 is also creating insane file sizes for me
anonymous_old

Zekira wrote:

H264 is also creating insane file sizes for me
It really depends on how you encode it. You're clearly doing it wrong.
Ph0X
You can create huge files with ANY codec if you set the quality to something high. This is about quality to filesize ratio though, and h264 has the highest, but as peppy said, it's very CPU intensive.
Kitsunemimi

peppy wrote:

It can be considered a case-by-case rule, in my opinion.
It would help if certain BAT's can determine how laggy a video is while bubbling, perhaps with a very crappy PC or such. I'm pretty sure the bitrate and resolution are the only significant factors that determine how much a video lags, so they would basically only need to know that to see if it's too laggy.