forum

[Archived] Osu! locks up parts of my keyboard

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Polkadotchocobo
Problem Details:
Opening Osu! and playing it for a short amount of time locks up certain keys on my keyboard during play and for a duration after it has been closed.
Keys affected seem to be very specific, namely S, D, G, Q, J, Full stop and ALT.
It has been known to persist even after system reboot for several days but eventually subsides and keyboard functionality returns to normal.
I have managed to reproduce this behavior multiple times so it seems very much linked to Osu!
The keyboard in question is a laptop keyboard (No idea its make or model)
An external keyboard is unaffected and functions fine.

Whilst it would seem that the keyboard is faulty, the keyboard functions completely fine for long periods of time otherwise but instantly locks up keys when osu! is opened.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

N/A

osu! version: 20141122 (latest)
TheVileOne
osu cannot cause this behavior. It has to be a program on your system or a driver causing this behavior.
Topic Starter
Polkadotchocobo
It has to be a program on your system or a driver causing this behavior.
Yes. Whilst it seems highly unlikely that Osu! is directly causing this, opening Osu! is what causes it to occur.
I do not know what dependencies or input/output operations Osu! performs but it seems likely it is those that are causing the issue.

I cannot replicate this behavior with any other program or application on my computer.
Bara-
It's NOT Osu!'s fault
It's your keyboard
Some keyboards can't handle multiple buttons to be pressed at the same time
For example, I can't press jkl at the same time
- Marco -

baraatje123 wrote:

It's NOT Osu!'s fault
It's your keyboard
Some keyboards can't handle multiple buttons to be pressed at the same time
For example, I can't press jkl at the same time
^ and that's called ghosting
Topic Starter
Polkadotchocobo
Please read my posts before trying to comment.

I understand what key ghosting is. My keyboard is actually capable of supporting up to 8 buttons presses in certain configurations.
i.e W,E,R,T,Y,U,I,O can all be held down and recognised at the same time.
This is quiet bizarre for a integrated laptop keyboard but whatever.
The external keyboard I have is capable of very few multiple key presses by comparison.

The problem I'm having applies to single button presses.
To be precise the buttons are highly unresponsive. They may have to be pressed over 20 times before inputting a character. Sometimes even not giving a response at all.

I understand very well that it is hard to believe that Osu! is causing this problem but it only occurs when Osu! is executed.
Bara-
Ohh
I thought you mean when pressing multiple buttons
I understand
Which keys do you use for play?
What laptop do you have? (Maybe the kb of it isn't really good)