forum

[resolved] OSU! Crashes everytime at first launch after upd

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Arthesian
OSU! crashes every time at first launch after an update has been downloaded by the OSU updater. ( I think it has something to do with the drawing of the Change-log ingame)

After the first crash, OSU works as expected. But it happens after every update so far.... ( which is quite frequently with OSU cuttingedge :D )

Problem Details:

System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.DrawIndexedPrimitives(PrimitiveType primitiveType, Int32 baseVertex, Int32 minVertexIndex, Int32 numVertices, Int32 startIndex, Int32 primitiveCount)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch.RenderBatch(Texture2D texture, SpriteVertex[] vertices, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch.Flush()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch.InternalDraw(Texture2D texture, Vector4& destination, Boolean scaleDestination, Nullable`1& sourceRectangle, Color color, Single rotation, Vector2& origin, SpriteEffects effects, Single depth)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch.Draw(Texture2D texture, Vector2 position, Nullable`1 sourceRectangle, Color color, Single rotation, Vector2 origin, Vector2 scale, SpriteEffects effects, Single layerDepth)
at #jj.#om.Draw()
at #jj.#qp.Draw()
at #Lg.#Ng.Draw()
at #tb.#zb.#8s()
at #tb.#zb.#jt(Object , EventArgs )
at #tb.#Db.#Dt()
at #tb.#Tb.#Rv(Object , EventArgs )
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32 dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
at #tb.#Tb.Run()
at #tb.#zb.Run()
at #Lg.#mp.#Hyb(String , Boolean , Boolean )

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

- none -

osu! version: 20141129.3cuttingedge
drum drum
It's a problem with your graphics device. Are your drivers updated all the way?
Topic Starter
Arthesian
For the sake of ruling out the graphics driver, I will reinstall the driver now....

But I still think it's weird that it only happens at the first launch after an update ( after the first crash, everything works fine when I launch OSU afterwards )
Topic Starter
Arthesian
Thankfully, I didn't have to wait long for OSU cuttingedge to get a new update :P

But it still crashed at first launch.... :(
drum drum
Unexpected stuff happens.
Topic Starter
Arthesian
OSU Still crashes @ first launch
drum drum
Oh my bad
What renderer are you using?
Topic Starter
Arthesian
At the moment Direct X ( @ Unlimited [ Gameplay ] )
drum drum
Try a lower frame limiter and see if that helps
Topic Starter
Arthesian
The only ''lower'' framerate is VSYNC 60 FPS ( which in my case isn't the way I want to play OSU ), Unlimited [Gameplay] is about the same as limiting to 120FPS. which is perfectly fine for me.

I will try to record the next time I launch OSU! ( which will probbably be tomorrow ), and show what really happens when I start OSU! after there was an update.
drum drum
OK, thanks that video will be really helpful
Topic Starter
Arthesian
As I promised yesterday: the video:

Steps I took :: ( I forgot to record the cursor.... derp )

- Launch OSU from taskbar => OSU auto updates => OSU auto-launches --> *Crash*
- Select Textbox to type the error message
- Switch tabs, to high-light the errorcode ( to show it's the same as yesterday )
- Re-launch OSU by clicking the Button in the Crash Report window -> Happily launch OSU

-> Repeat by closing OSU, and starting OSU again ( to prove the crash does not occur anymore )

I can reproduce this crash after every update, but only once.
drum drum
http://osu.ppy.sh/release/osume.exe
Use this to return to the latest stable release. If you can't get back in cutting edge stick to stable for now

I'm going to unmark this as confirmed because I'm not sure why it is
Topic Starter
Arthesian
Lol, I tried installing the older version of OSU, and it wanted me to update to the next stable build of OSU....

and guess what.... I got a crash again @ first launch xD I have no idea why that happended though, because it never used to happen in the ''older'' versions....

So I'll stick with Cuttingedge.... and just ignore the crashes... it's not like its a major issue for me, I just wanted to report it.
drum drum
Shall I mark this as resolved or are we going to keep at it?
Topic Starter
Arthesian
you can mark it as resolved, because I don't really care....( in a good way :P )

Just keep in mind that it might happen to other players as well ( as this started about 2 weeks ago-ish ), and it probbably is a real bug with the updater that changed recently.
drum drum
That'd be less likely to happen hopefully