forum

Add #Lithuanian

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +272
Topic Starter
Torment
A chat channel for Lithuanians, seems lonely to only PM a few people you know.
Would be a nice place to meet fellows too, and not awkwardly go into #osu/#lobby and be like "Yra Lietuvių?" (are there any Lithuanians?)
Gumpy

It won't be very populated channel...

But I can see the use of it.
ekgame
I can see myself using it.
TicClick
prove that the playerbase is big enough and there'll be actual talks, most small channels I happened to see and watch were rather desert and inactive

it will also *not* help if you guys will spam support in this thread saying "oh my please add this why is it not added yet please why country A has its own channel and ours doesn't" but will abandon the said channel shortly after its creation
Topic Starter
Torment
There might be around 3 people at the creation (excluding me I don't notice anything), and it would grow as every Lithuanian in the channel would send the "#Lithuanian" to other Lithuanians. Thats what I actually think, it might get abandoned but it will grow back with time and reminders. I guess thats how I think about it
Lie
tu
va
Demango
Good luck with getting the channel, we've been rejected #Latvian for years now, even though we have the most populated off-language forum and a highly up-voted feature request.
Yukiteru Amano
Pardon me if I am wrong. But if Latvian and Lithuanian is similar in language and such why can't a "Baltic-chat" be opened :)? It will include more people
So maybe it won't go dead. Skandinavian is Sweden/Norway/Denmark so Latvia/Lithuania shouldn't be impossible! Then again I don't know Latvian nor Lithuanian. Best of luck :)
Demango
@Yukiteru Amano
They could easily do that, actually, but bundling baltic languages together seems about as silly as bundling scandinavian languages together, (especially since if they make it a "baltic" channel they have to include estonian, due to it's geographic definition as a baltic state, which is in a completely different language group).
Overall I think it would benefit the channel's survivability if they were split, since our languages aren't mutually-intelligible (despite their linguistic similarities) and it would most likely just create a channel with bigger potential that is actually used less than any of the language specific ones by themselves.
I don't particularly see any benefits from merging them, (except maybe making the channel list a bit shorter, which feels like a really awkward reason to be merging language specific channels).
Yukiteru Amano
Finland is a part of skandinavia but excluded from #skandi because of language differences. So the geographical one shouldn't a problem :)
Demango
@Yukiteru Amano that's not really the point, we straight up can't understand each other, if you tried having a normal conversation the overall information gain would be near 3% and when you get to written speech it gets even worse, since the sounds are similar but some of the writings are completely mangled,
aaanyway, bottom line is, there's nothing to be gained from the merge, since it'll still be 2 masses of really separate people, with separate languages
the end product being either:

1. The channel being taken over by one of the languages, and getting little to no use by the other.

2. It being in rotational use between us (much less likely due to it being hard to sway a channel already used primarily by one language)
e.g. "Oh look, #baltics is in lithuanian mode today, better luck next time" and vice-versa.

3. Both people masses switching to english so we can all use it (the most likely imo), which sort of defeats the purpose of having such a channel in the first place.
Yukiteru Amano
Ow I see! :s I thought the languages were closer than that! Well if you can't understand each other separate channels is a must indeed! I am not Latvian/Lith so I can't say much xD
Demango
@Yukiteru Amano
Yeah, that's what "our languages aren't mutually-intelligible" means :D

note to self: include a tl;dr in long posts. ;_;
LoGo

TicClick wrote:

prove that the playerbase is big enough and there'll be actual talks, most small channels I happened to see and watch were rather desert and inactive
So what? People tend to sleep at least sometimes, no? Everything starts from nothing... And i don't even see where is the problem adding more? List is comfortable to scroll ( not to mention you can use search). It takes no time to create but gives a lot to people from specific country. Just 3 people already can make all day long conversation. But as it seems no one gives a f.. about small community.
Bara-
Because it takes up space (Or idk how it's called for the chat) giving huge loads of extra data to the server
If somthing like this would not be the case, every possible language would had it's own chat
Demango
@baraatje123
I'll ask straight up, are you pulling this information out of your ass?
You know you can potentially have thousands of such chat channels open and active at a time (#spectator), right?
So I doubt that adding one or even a one hundred more public channels would be that much of a strain on the servers.
(Not that I'm asking one for every language, I'm just saying it should be potentially very easy and not all that computationally-intensive at all)
Bara-
But... If that was the case, why aren't all these channels available, and when people request them, they'll likely get denied as there are to little people there
Demango
@baraatje123
So you were pulling it out of your ass? Called it.
The real reason there aren't channels for all languages is such:

1.They don't want to split the community up more than is reasonable.
2.They don't want to risk there being graveyard chat channels that would fill up the channel window up to the point of you only being to able to find channels if you know EXACTLY what you're looking for (the removal of which would cause a bigger backlash than not implementing them to begin with)

The combination of these makes it so that channels only get put in if they are requested enough
(this functions as there being a lesser chance of them dying out(point #2) and as peppy and co. mostly just getting too annoyed at people begging for one (point#1 - avoiding too many angry players)).
Karote
because quantity over quality
Bara-

Stefan wrote:

-MrPotato- wrote:

Doesnt seem like anybody cares about our dear request =\
Trust me, there are more as enough people which care for that. I can tell that from the community which works for the Re-Opening of #balkan. The most important point is to show how active you really are. Get as many as possible people from your community to lead their attention at this project here.
Try this
Also, try to get someone to be moderator, as I don't think any not-Lithuanian can properly understand it

Priti wrote:

There is still one issue that will be present once the channel is here:
Who the hell will be the moderator? none of the current Chat Moderators know hebrew (There is one Alumni who knows hebrew and that's Sync)
This was taken from the #Hebrew request, but I think it applies for #lithuanian as well

Still, I think it will get little attention, but look for those 2 problems, and then I can definitely agree with it
Topic Starter
Torment
I love how other countries support this a bit.

baraatje123 wrote:

Priti wrote:

There is still one issue that will be present once the channel is here:
Who the hell will be the moderator? none of the current Chat Moderators know hebrew (There is one Alumni who knows hebrew and that's Sync)
This was taken from the #Hebrew request, but I think it applies for #lithuanian as well

Still, I think it will get little attention, but look for those 2 problems, and then I can definitely agree with it
Elections xD
show more