Spinner Sage
155 posts
What is the difference between this and the converter outside? But surely the circuit board art is fantastic ww
Rhythm Incarnate
1,095 posts
Damn your soldering is really neat :D
Nice job!

Spinner Sage
136 posts
Hey there yo, just a little bump to let you know there's still interest in this project ;)
hey
Rhythm Incarnate
804 posts
I'd be interested in this as well; just have to go pick-up another Tatacon (regrettably sold the Wii and PS2 ones I had).

A quick idea on the latency; can the converter do 1000Hz polling rate? Not sure what the device itself has to have as a requirement, but you can force polling rates on most USB devices with a custom driver/service in Windows, and possibly a program in Linux.

On a slightly different matter; how would this adapter compare to wusbmote?
Tempo Trainee
12 posts
How is it now?
Whistle Blower
26 posts
Espionage724 wrote:

On a slightly different matter; how would this adapter compare to wusbmote?

I tried wusbmote with my Hori tatacon and it doesn't seem to work, the wusbmote is recognized as a game pad which osu! doesn't have support for in taiko mode unfortunately and also when i got to configure the wusbmote controller from the devices panel i get no button inputs from the drum. but i do get button responses from the nunchuck buttons and stick. I haven't played around with the config tool yet though so ill see how that goes

*Edit
The config tool is actually a command line tool for configuring the adaptor and has only been tested in linux but apparently works in windows and OSX as well, i have only done basic arduino stuff before so this stuff is over my head and i couldn't be arsed trying to figure it out at this point and wouldn't really know where to even begin (probably at reading the full product description before i buy things).

to the OP I should also mention i am still interested in the converter just exploring different options in the meantime
Beat Clicker
73 posts
GRUMBLE GRUMBLE this is the second time the forum has neglected to email me replies >:( I thought others had lost interest, and kinda forgot to check manually :(

I think the 20ms lag is in the controller itself and the way hits are registered - they seem to be capacitive switches, which are never really instant. I'm not happy with 20ms lag, so I'm somewhat stalled at the moment. I would love to be proved wrong.

As such, I've put my progress thus far on GitHub, (hopefully) ready for others to take a crack at. If you have an Arduino, you can buy a $2 nunchuck adapter from eBay (search "Arduino nunchuck") and play around - the important stuff is reading the status of the switches via i2c.

Sorry for disappearing for 2 months, I gave up and forgot people still wanted updates :(

If you want to take this further and are having issues, please PM me, I will be happy to assist where I can.
Beat Clicker
73 posts
Happy new year, taiko players!

Over the past few months, with some excellent help from tobuei and Sand (seriously, thanks guys) I have made a new version.

Features
  • 1ms response time. Delay is completely imperceptible
  • Sweet LEDs (can be turned off)
  • Responds so fast you can bounce your sticks and get multi hits. Can be turned off with Debounce feature.
  • Tested working on official, Hori and knockoff controllers
  • Windows, Linux, Mac compatible + cross platform Chrome app for configuration
  • Config app allows future firmware updates to add more features
  • No drivers required!
  • Open source

Updated price estimate is $20USD shipped anywhere.

I have made an order for 20 boards to start with, and they will arrive about a month from now.

I won't get payment from anyone until they arrive, but they're coming!

Last edited by montymintypie on , edited 2 times in total.
Spinner Sage
155 posts
Thanks for your effort you have put in this project!
Can't wait to see it actually comes out
Rhythm Incarnate
1,621 posts
Woah I thought this died. Will 100% be purchasing one!
Rhythm Rookie
2 posts
I'd definitely start taiko mode if I had one of these. Im totally interested in buying one!
Rhythm Rookie
2 posts
Hello there, I'll definitively buy it once you release it ;)
Quality Assurance Team
6,640 posts
Why this isn't in the Taiko subforum? I would have never seen it if I didn't check the Development forum because of boredom. lol
For users like me, this is very interesting. I'm having a tatacon, but I rarely play it due to way too huge input lags. I can expect this to work even my outdate tatacon, right? As in, this works for the old and new versions of TNT's tatacons?
Beat Clicker
73 posts
OnosakiHito wrote:
Why this isn't in the Taiko subforum? I would have never seen it if I didn't check the Development forum because of boredom.

It made sense for it to be in development initially, but now it's ready I should post there! Should I move the thread or just post a link to it in the taiko forum?

OnosakiHito wrote:
I can expect this to work even my outdate tatacon, right? As in, this works for the old and new versions of TNT's tatacons?

If Taiko no Tatsujin can see it, it should work with my converter! :D
Rhythm Incarnate
1,621 posts
Might be best to have a post linking here in the Taiko forum. The correct section is here however it would be of interest to many taiko players.
Reply 187 posts jump | prev  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  next