forum

Force desired hitsound, regardless of how off-sync the hit

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Rolled
I apologize for possibly misleading title. The scenario at hand is as follows:

Hitcirle is placed at 10,000ms. Standard hitsound sampleset is loud, however you'd like the hitcircle placed at 10k ms to be soft. Place an inherited timing section at 9999 to create the soft hitsound on that individual note, then place another at 10,001 to continue with normal volume.

I believe that is how it should be handled. The current method is based on what time the player hit the note. For example, they could be 2 ms early and the hitcircle will play loud instead of soft. The work-around would be to place the sample change 50-100-whatever amount of ms before the note is actually played so the timing window will not allow the player to hear the unexpected hitsound, however when dealing with 1/4th streams where the notes are only 100ms apart it can become frustrating.

An example map would be Family Force 5 - Earthquake, specifically at 01:02:654. There is 5 notes 1/4th of a beat apart, and the first and last are a different sample set than the rest. Sounds fine in editor, can easily be fudged up when playing (and cause it to sound terrible.)

Another work-around would be to create an entire new sampleset replacing loud whistles/claps/finish with the soft-hitsound you wish to be used. But I feel that unnecessary. How I think it should be handled is what I mentioned above, I think the current way is incorrect.

Debated on putting this in bug reports but brought it here instead for debate.
Zekira
Many have had problems regarding this issue. I hear it quite often actually, and people are looking for workarounds that are annoyingly strenuous.

I'll definitely support this.
mm201
http://osu.sifterapp.com/projects/4151/ ... 6/comments

The plague of my hitsounding existence.
Gabi
Hitcirle is placed at 10,000ms. Standard hitsound sampleset is loud, however you'd like the hitcircle placed at 10k ms to be soft. Place an inherited timing section at 9999 to create the soft hitsound on that individual note, then place another at 10,001 to continue with normal volume.
woudn't that only give us 3ms time to hit the note and get the right hitsound? or do you mean that whenever you hit this note, no matter if you hit it 30ms early or late it will still play the desired hitsound?

Rolled wrote:

they could be 2 ms early and the hitcircle will play loud instead of soft.
no i don't think so. a timestamp covers the area of -30ms ~ +30ms (i think). anyways that doesn't exactly make it any better.

my request would be that you should be able to change specific options for 1 single hitcircle without a timestamp, but i think that is a little too much to ask for.
mm201

Gabi wrote:

a timestamp covers the area of -30ms ~ +30ms (i think)
Nope. It's -30ms at a cost of a 30ms LOSS of tolerance at the other end of the section. Basically, the new section is applied 30ms early, like it or not.
peppy

MetalMario201 wrote:

Nope. It's -30ms at a cost of a 30ms LOSS of tolerance at the other end of the section. Basically, the new section is applied 30ms early, like it or not.
MetalMario knows too much *draws silenced pistol from trench-coat* let's fix this once and for all.
anonymous_old

peppy wrote:

MetalMario201 wrote:

MetalMario knows too much *draws silenced pistol from trench-coat* let's fix this once and for all.
Note: "[peppy] always assume[s] seriousness unless otherwise stated".