forum

Why is there so little English music?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
dylstew
Why is there so little English music? These are all the artists in my music library at the moment: http://www.last.fm/user/dylstew/library?sortBy=name#p2.
It's mostly Punk and after that Rock and Metal. if I type in the most popular ones, I usually either get no song, or one song, usually one I don't like or that are just one of my least favourites.
Queen has a single song(with probably one of the best beatmaps), Beatles has one song, Metallica has one song I don't like, Rolling Stones has nothing, Chuck Berry has nothing, Elvis has nothing, The White Stripes has nothing, Jimi Hendrix has nothing, Guns N Roses has one song, AC/DC has nothing, Iron Maiden has nothing(edit: one song, didn't see that one), etc. So the popular ones have very little, let alone ones that aren't popular.. Sum 41 has multiple songs.. which is coincidentally one of the few bands in my library I actually dislike, It's just there because of nostalgia -_-
Heck, even the only Japanese band in my library, Maximum the Hormone, only has the song featured in Death Note.
As far as I know, Rock is a pretty popular genre.
Aren't there a lot of English speaking Osu users?

It's for this reason I usually just play video game beatmaps, and it's also the reason I'd like to make my own beatmaps.
But it's extremely difficult, I tried a guide, but I just couldn't even get the bpm timing right at all. In fact, the bpm seemed to change from moment to moment, it was a 50 second hardcore punk song.(I picked it since it's short).

This kind of leaves me with a game I really like, just without any music that I really like to play with :c.
Lach

dylstew wrote:

I'd like to make my own beatmaps.
But it's extremely difficult, I tried a guide, but I just couldn't even get the bpm timing right at all. In fact, the bpm seemed to change from moment to moment, it was a 50 second hardcore punk song.(I picked it since it's short)
There lies problem. 99% of the songs in ranked are simple single bpm electronic music, or recorded with a metronome. You would be lucky to find a song from any of the artists on your last.fm that would be simple to time properly.
Topic Starter
dylstew

Lach wrote:

dylstew wrote:

I'd like to make my own beatmaps.
But it's extremely difficult, I tried a guide, but I just couldn't even get the bpm timing right at all. In fact, the bpm seemed to change from moment to moment, it was a 50 second hardcore punk song.(I picked it since it's short)
There lies problem. 99% of the songs in ranked are simple single bpm electronic music, or recorded with a metronome. You would be lucky to find a song from any of the artists on your last.fm that would be simple to time properly.

Then shouldn't there be a way to time music properly that's not that type of music? I mean, if Elite Beat Agents can do it, why not Osu?
I mean, hearing that makes osu sound way more limited than I thought it was. If that's true that's a huge flaw, shouldn't it be able to attract a wide audience of music lovers?
Lach
It has nothing to do with the game. If you wanted, you could go and manually snap objects to the music using a DAW and finding the peak in the volume. But it would be terrible, because if the song is all over the place, the map would be, too.

The limitation lies in the music more-so than the game itself.
Topic Starter
dylstew

Lach wrote:

It has nothing to do with the game. If you wanted, you could go and manually snap objects to the music using a DAW and finding the peak in the volume. But it would be terrible, because if the song is all over the place, the map would be, too.

The limitation lies in the music more-so than the game itself.
Wait..but then, how are things like Rocksmith 2014 possible? 0.o. Or even guitar hero?
sayonara_sekai
guitar hero is the shittiest "rhythm" game ever made though.
silmarilen

dylstew wrote:

Iron Maiden has nothing
but... but... https://osu.ppy.sh/s/3586
Topic Starter
dylstew

silmarilen wrote:

dylstew wrote:

Iron Maiden has nothing
oh my god, I didn't even notice somehow, thank you.

phonics wrote:

guitar hero is the shittiest "rhythm" game ever made though.
You're right about that, but it still works.
Vuelo Eluko

silmarilen wrote:

dylstew wrote:

Iron Maiden has nothing
the entirety of the top 5 is white people

hell yeah
winber1
It's not really limitation in timing. Timing can be annoying sometimes and sometimes a deterrent, but that's not why people chose j-pop songs to begin with.

To start off, the weeaboo train had already started long ago and because of that you only really appeal to people who know of j-pop, since almost everything was j-pop back in the day, and up to now it's still like that, because of the audience that the game attracts. It's just a long chain reaction.

Many of the people who know j-pop, including myself, aren't the most interested in j-pop and enjoy many other genres of music, whether electronic (dubstep, drumstep, those BMS music that I don't even know what genre they belong to, etc.), metal, rock, and vice versa, and because of that we do get other genres of music, but to a lesser extent, since pretty much everything kinda revolves (or at least began with), in some way, around j-pop.

Also furthermore, in general j-pop is actually more creative and more fun to map to than a lot of other genres. English pop music is slow as balls, and often time it's not that interesting to most of the community, and it is also very repetitive, and that is also a deterrent. You don't really have anywhere where you can get TV sized things in regards to English music, whether pop, rock, metal, etc. A lot of japanese music, and not just pop, but their other genres as well, are often relatively short and succinct, rhythmically more complex and more interesting to map. I am only speaking in comparison from Japanese music to English music, I can't really speak of other types of music that in depth.

Basically, I just wanted to say that most of the time, the music created by the Japanese are often time more exciting to play in a rhythm game because of their more creative use of rhythm or melodies and their higher BPM. I have tried mapping some of my top metal songs and it becomes a miserable failure because the way you map it just doesn't fit correctly because of the either slow-ass BPM or the repitition (it doesn't sound slow, but it plays very slow, or extremely fast. You'd probably understand what I mean if ever tried mapping these kinds of songs, assuming you know how to map well). Some songs work well, but you kind of have to search for them specifically.

Basically, as Lach said, it's a limitation in the music itself, but I would not say timing-wise, but that is an extra deterrent depending on the song.

Certain songs work well with certain rhythm games. In this game, the niche or requirement that often time people find more interesting generally fits Japanese, or Asian music as a whole, better. Also, if i recall correctly, guitar hero actually mostly has relatively high BPM songs, at least to the player (since you are mimicking a guitar, and it's a different feeling than tapping the keyboard all day).
Topic Starter
dylstew

Riince wrote:

hell yeah
I'm a black dude from the Netherlands. Challenge I'll never be able to complete Accepted.

winber1 wrote:

It's not really limitation in timing. Timing can be annoying sometimes and sometimes a deterrent, but that's not why people chose j-pop songs to begin with.

To start off, the weeaboo train had already started long ago and because of that you only really appeal to people who know of j-pop, since almost everything was j-pop back in the day, and up to now it's still like that, because of the audience that the game attracts. It's just a long chain reaction.

Many of the people who know j-pop, including myself, aren't the most interested in j-pop and enjoy many other genres of music, whether electronic (dubstep, drumstep, those BMS music that I don't even know what genre they belong to, etc.), metal, rock, and vice versa, and because of that we do get other genres of music, but to a lesser extent, since pretty much everything kinda revolves (or at least began with), in some way, around j-pop.

Also furthermore, in general j-pop is actually more creative and more fun to map to than a lot of other genres. English pop music is slow as balls, and often time it's not that interesting to most of the community, and it is also very repetitive, and that is also a deterrent. You don't really have anywhere where you can get TV sized things in regards to English music, whether pop, rock, metal, etc. A lot of japanese music, and not just pop, but their other genres as well, are often relatively short and succinct, rhythmically more complex and more interesting to map. I am only speaking in comparison from Japanese music to English music, I can't really speak of other types of music that in depth.

Basically, I just wanted to say that most of the time, the music created by the Japanese are often time more exciting to play in a rhythm game because of their more creative use of rhythm or melodies and their higher BPM. I have tried mapping some of my top metal songs and it becomes a miserable failure because the way you map it just doesn't fit correctly because of the either slow-ass BPM or the repitition (it doesn't sound slow, but it plays very slow, or extremely fast. You'd probably understand what I mean if ever tried mapping these kinds of songs, assuming you know how to map well). Some songs work well, but you kind of have to search for them specifically.

Basically, as Lach said, it's a limitation in the music itself, but I would not say timing-wise, but that is an extra deterrent depending on the song.
I don't know man, I'm not really a fan of any type of pop music. I like other genres mixed with pop, but I could never really get into full on pop.
That post is kind of a huge slap in the face to music of any other region though. I don't listen to music by region, but by genre. If I type in Japanese Thrash Metal, or Punk, or ska, or whatever, it usually sounds exactly like that genre does with other regions. Sure, I've heard some very nice variety in Japanese music ( For example, the slap bass technique from funk is used a lot more in non funk Japanese music than music from other regions). The only reason most of the music I listen to is english is because a:It's a language I understand, and I prefer English over Dutch. b:it's way easier to find on..English websites. I'm only talking about the language here though, not where the music comes from, some bands in my library are European for example.

If a band is repetetive or simple, that's because that band is. You can probably find more bands that aren't if you look hard enough.
In my opionion simple does not equal worse, in fact, since my favourte genre is Punk, I love simplicity. One of my favourite 80's punk bands is very unknown, sometimes you really have to search.
B1rd

dylstew wrote:

Riince wrote:

hell yeah
I'm a black dude from the Netherlands. Challenge I'll never be able to complete Accepted.
black people are fine, it's asians he was talking about.
nrl

dylstew wrote:

Wait..but then, how are things like Rocksmith 2014 possible? 0.o. Or even guitar hero?
Those are games made by top-tier, well-funded studios with lots of personnel and lots of time to get all the timing down cold. osu!'s content, on the other hand, is totally player generated, and players rarely have the skill or the time to make usable maps out of inconsistent songs. There's a reason osu! has more maps than the entire guitar hero/rockband franchise has songs.
Xgor
Coming from somebody that have mapped a lot of different stuff, from Swedish metal to chiptunes I wouldn't say that "J-pop" is the most creative outlet out there. There is tons of intense metal out there and rap makes perfect candidates for stream and jump maps. It's all up to taste and even with such quantity of J-pop it's still a huge demand on it.

Because of the large amount of "weeboo" music have generally lead to more and more alienation from the general mainstream-pop audience and attracted the weeboo audience thus leads to a spiral of attracting the weeboo growing public that grows and grows in osu!

There is also clearly favoritism across modders and BATs/QATs that lead people to say "If you want to get your map ranked map Japanese stuff" and as a mapper myself it's hard to ignore when people only want to mod songs they like and uses tests like "What anime are I'm looking forward to" are only making it worse.

Still everyone that mod and map English songs makes a difference, It's just much harder to get appreciated where every English song I've ever done still hasn't as many map as my U.N. Owen map.

But please go and map what you want to see more of in osu! because if you do, maybe somebody else will look at what you map and say "I wanna see more stuff like this in osu!"
Topic Starter
dylstew

Narrill wrote:

dylstew wrote:

Those are games made by top-tier, well-funded studios with lots of personnel and lots of time to get all the timing down cold. osu!'s content, on the other hand, is totally player generated, and players rarely have the skill or the time to make usable maps out of inconsistent songs. There's a reason osu! has more maps than the entire guitar hero/rockband franchise has songs.
I think that mostly has to do with the amount of people trying to make maps, and licensing costs. Also, I think Rocksmith is a bit harder to map something for.

Xgor wrote:

Coming from somebody that have mapped a lot of different stuff, from Swedish metal to chiptunes I wouldn't say that "J-pop" is the most creative outlet out there. There is tons of intense metal out there and rap makes perfect candidates for stream and jump maps. It's all up to taste and even with such quantity of J-pop it's still a huge demand on it.

Because of the large amount of "weeboo" music have generally lead to more and more alienation from the general mainstream-pop audience and attracted the weeboo audience thus leads to a spiral of attracting the weeboo growing public that grows and grows in osu!

There is also clearly favoritism across modders and BATs/QATs that lead people to say "If you want to get your map ranked map Japanese stuff" and as a mapper myself it's hard to ignore when people only want to mod songs they like and uses tests like "What anime are I'm looking forward to" are only making it worse.

Still everyone that mod and map English songs makes a difference, It's just much harder to get appreciated where every English song I've ever done still hasn't as many map as my U.N. Owen map.

But please go and map what you want to see more of in osu! because if you do, maybe somebody else will look at what you map and say "I wanna see more stuff like this in osu!"
So I wonder, is it true what others say that it's too difficult to map and thus not fun to play non electronic/not perfectly recorded music?
Because maybe I'd like to give it another shot, but if what they're saying is really true, it's kind of pointless.

btw, I'd like to be able to appriciate all main genres at some point (I'm interested in Jazz, Blues, and Soul/Funk), but currently I'm still exploring rock music.
YukinoDesuDesu

well, I'm going to map some Steve Hackett/Genesis songs, but I don't think this game has an audience for it so I guess it's going to be mostly for myself though. Anyone out there who also likes symphonic prog rock?
Topic Starter
dylstew

Asiangodx2 wrote:

well, I'm going to map some Steve Hackett/Genesis songs, but I don't think this game has an audience for it so I guess it's going to be mostly for myself though. Anyone out there who also likes symphonic prog rock?
Reminds me of Dream Theater, but it's kind of not similar at all it at the same time. xD
Xgor

dylstew wrote:

So I wonder, is it true what others say that it's too difficult to map and thus not fun to play non electronic/not perfectly recorded music?
Because maybe I'd like to give it another shot, but if what they're saying is really true, it's kind of pointless.

btw, I'd like to be able to appriciate all main genres at some point (I'm interested in Jazz, Blues, and Soul/Funk), but currently I'm still exploring rock music.
The issue is timing, a lot of 70s and older and some rock don't use it but it's still possible to map it. (I tried to map Pink Floyd once :P )
The criteria demands perfect timing... and that is very hard though.

I don't want to stop you from mapping all kinds of different weird songs but i suggest you mapa little more modern songs and work yourself down to the older trickier songs to time unless you can find somebody to time it for you.
silmarilen

Asiangodx2 wrote:

i love genesis, it's one of my favourite bands, but it's just so hard to map.

by "hard to map" people usually mean "hard to make an interesting map that people would like to play"

ofcourse you can make a beatmap to pink floyd - shine on you crazy diamond (i hope that wasnt the song you tried to map xgor :P) but when the song starts off with about 0.5 beats per minute you're not going to get a really interesting map.
pink floyd is my all-time favourite band, i wish it was possible to make beatmaps to the songs, but i just dont see how you would make them fun to play.
YukinoDesuDesu
Ah, it's also one of my favorite bands! :D But yeah, I know it's going to be tricky to interestingly map these kinds of songs. But since no one's going to do it I might as well try do it myself. Looking at my current mapping https://osu.ppy.sh/s/182810 and liking for DJPop it's going to be weird though. xD
show more