forum

[Archived] osu! won't launch at all

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
The Black Angel_old
Problem Details: osu! won't launch after I try to open it (even by right-clicking and manually click Open). I've tried so many ways to fix this:
1. I deleted my osu! folder, and then I downloaded the new osu!install, but halted on the installation process with a message saying, "There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."
2. I downloaded osume.exe, move it to my osu! folder, and then run it as administrator, nothing happened.
3. I tried another way with osume.exe, which is by deleting everything in osu! folder except osume.exe, then try to run it normally and as administrator. Nothing happened too.
4. Holding SHIFT while opening osu!.
5. Not fully focused, I even downloaded that Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 and tried to open it, only to find nothing happened (again) before finally realized that I've the newer one (.NET Framework 4.5.1)
6. I copied an osu! folder from a friend who has the up-to-date osu! just last night (he also got the osu! patched to the newest patch when I asked for the copy), then merged his folder (except his Songs folder) with mine. And then, nothing happened too.

For further information, I haven't touched osu! for 3 months.

Also, just last week I was 'toying' with Data Execution Prevention (DEP), like adding a .exe to the list of 'Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select', and disabling and enabling DEP using the elevated command prompt because I've got issues with one of my programs, and I was searching for a solution for that issues (and miserably failed :cry: ). Then this week I found that osu! won't launch at all. Did me 'toying' with DEP had any effect on osu! ?
I even tried to add osu!.exe to the list of 'Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select', but nothing happened anyway.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

osu! version: (I forgot to ask my friend what osu! version is it when I got the copy from him :/ )
Marcin
2. I downloaded osume.exe, move it to my osu! folder, and then run it as administrator, nothing happened.
3. I tried another way with osume.exe, which is by deleting everything in osu! folder except osume.exe, then try to run it normally and as administrator. Nothing happened too.
Literally nothing happens?

Seems like you have broken something within windows, you should try reverting any changes you have done to DEP, because if you can't even open .NET Framework installer - that means there is really something broken.
drum drum
To expand on what Marcin said:

"Set up did not finish as expect" is usually due to a file being blocked from installing. Yes, reverting DEP would be a wise choice as Marcin advised.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but antiviruses may false positive some installers. Assuming you have one enabled on your computer.

If you can't run other installer files like .msi you should take a look at Microsoft (customer / technical) support
Topic Starter
The Black Angel_old

Marcin wrote:

Literally nothing happens?

Seems like you have broken something within windows, you should try reverting any changes you have done to DEP, because if you can't even open .NET Framework installer - that means there is really something broken.
Nothing happened.

Also, I've already reverted any changes done to DEP (enabling it, and then choosing 'Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only' like it was before), while about .NET Framework, I read somewhere that the installer won't open at all if I've already got it installed (since I mentioned that I do have the newer one).

Should I use System Restore, at all? :o

drum drum wrote:

To expand on what Marcin said:

"Set up did not finish as expect" is usually due to a file being blocked from installing. Yes, reverting DEP would be a wise choice as Marcin advised.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but antiviruses may false positive some installers. Assuming you have one enabled on your computer.

If you can't run other installer files like .msi you should take a look at Microsoft (customer / technical) support
My antivirus already expired since.... March? April? :( but it still removes files detected as malware :?

Can you please give me some example of .msi installer files? Since .exe installer files are working just fine.

Thank you for your attention :)
loldcraft
Since its only the install that's failing, would it be a good idea to just install net framework only and copy over the osu directory form elsewhere?
drum drum

The Black Angel wrote:

My antivirus already expired since.... March? April? :( but it still removes files detected as malware :?
If it still removes files then it could be getting false positives. Just disable it / uninstall it to be safe.
Topic Starter
The Black Angel_old
I'm so sorry for no reply for a time being, just begin the new term of college yesterday.

loldcraft wrote:

Since its only the install that's failing, would it be a good idea to just install net framework only and copy over the osu directory form elsewhere?
Again, I've already got the newer .NET Framework installed, which is why the .NET Framework 3.5 won't install.

drum drum wrote:

The Black Angel wrote:

If it still removes files then it could be getting false positives. Just disable it / uninstall it to be safe.
Tried it, failed anyway :(

Maybe I should move my osu! folder to an external hard-disk so it won't be a burden to my laptop for a time being. Until we can find a solution for this kind of problem, I won't be touching osu! again.

Unless maybe someone out there got the same exact problem with me and somehow manage to find a solution, then I'll be waiting.

Thank you for all of your attention :)
ryunic
this is such a pain to find a way to rool back my driver on a surface :o >:(