forum

Katamari Damacy

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
awp
Yeah I know I'm supposed to be working on like three other things, AND another skin, but I felt like having some more fun with Flash (I hate leaving my comfort zone, what can I say?)

I've decided that, even though I have very little done, I'll post progress in case I'm doing something wrong. All images will be hand-drawn from scratch except for playfield.png; I stole that from the internet.

anyhow, here's super preliminary beta shot, and as a special bonus, hit50:

EDIT 03/13 - lifebar done. Pix attached. It took a decent amount of effort but I'm pleased with the result. Though, looking at it now, it kind of "just ends" at the far right. I'll fix that immediately, though not going to make new screenshots.

By the way, does anyone think that using the same katamari sprite for all katamaris is tiring? Because it's almost zero effort on my part to change the katamari's colour, and very little to change the style of it for some spots.

LuigiHann
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
awp
The cursor is easy to use in game, but when selecting things in the menu (particluarly those little buttons at the top) it's a bit of a trick. The obvious workaround would be to make the inner green part transparent, but I think that might look ugly. If anyone wants to download the cursor and try it themselves, go ahead.

idk if I'll post any more updates tonight because it's entirely possible I will spend the entire night on the HP bar alone. Because it will rule.

EDIT: Updated skin btw, check OP.

peppy
Looks very promising awp :).
Topic Starter
awp
Posting hitcircle to see what everyone thinks - keep this shape? I was also debating having mushroom-shaped hitcircles and/or yen-shaped hitcircles. Will adjust the approach circle as needed.

LuigiHann
Oh, hey. Those hit circles look a bit iffy to me. Everything else looks great.
Topic Starter
awp
The hitcircles/overlay are messy and incorrect right now - something I'll clean up before a final "submittal". The basic idea right now is to figure out whether or not a katamari-shaped hit object is a usable concept.
LuigiHann
Conceptually it's fine. Although if there's anything else you can use, you should probably consider it. :P
James
lllllolllll you should make the cursor BIGGER while it gets more combos!!!!

Just kidding.
Topic Starter
awp
I wasn't happy with the way the hitcircle/overlay looked, so I redrew it (well, the outside of it) and smoothed it out. Added the approach circle and the pause menu. Also revised the cursor slightly.

Are the colours (most notably the green) too dark in the menu buttons, or are they A-Okay?

Revised menu buttons, ty irc.

EDIT: Another question, Continue, or Keep Rolling! ?

Level-Up!
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
nintendoto

Level-Up! wrote:

Keep Rolling, although I'm not too fond of the big first and letter style. The colours seem fine.
I agree!
Topic Starter
awp
Hahaha! After an hour and some odd of toiling, I have a totally hand-drawn countdown set based off the intro to Me and My Katamari:

Dark Deception_old
I think I feel a little quirky right now about the countdown. :D :D :D

Besides, I haven't played any of the Katamari Damacy games...

chan
I too feel a bit "quirky" about the countdown. Maybe redraw or just rip some images from the Katamari promo vids? I could take some screenshots later if you don't already have them.
peppy
Wow, that's bright.
Topic Starter
awp

peppy wrote:

Wow, that's bright.
Yes, it livens up Our day!

But We will be honest: apart from Our hands, We like the way Our countdown looks <3

Oh, and perhaps the flower, too. We're not too fond of the flower.
dtnc21
When is it going to be ready?
Topic Starter
awp
When I stop being a lazy whore.

I'm only missing the spinner, slider, countdown text and ranking stuff. It'd take another hour or two at most to finish this, but...

well I've also gotta tweak the lifebar a bit. This weekend I'll finish it I suppose.
nintendoto
Spinner! Well, my friends sister got the katamari rolling up so much stuff that it got big enough to roll up the sun so the spinner could be the katamari with a bunch of stuff on it when it gets to the bonus points part...
show more