forum

Runtime storyboard variables

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Matma Rex
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
anonymous_old
I like the idea of having game-set variables like @current_combo, @last_hit, and @hp_bar.
LuigiHann
The pass/fail endings should work the way you describe already. They didn't always, but I believe they do now, based on conversations I had with peppy about it.

In general though, yeah there are cool places where variables could be used.
RandomJibberish
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Intermezzo
I've always been relentless with these kind of feature requests (how many users actually would use it and would it be worth the large effort to make it happen?). However more and more people requesting features related to storyboard and play interaction tells there is depictable demand.

First thing you guys must understand that currently the storyboard code is not a real scripting language, all the code is just preprocessed and loaded into a sprite transformation timetable (thus heavily optimized). This happens both when loading a storyboard inside the editor and before play. Thereby all storyboard changes you make inside the editor alters the sprite transformation timetable and the editor generates new storyboard code based on this table when saving.
That means if we allow conditional code we no longer can preprocess code and we would need a real script interpreter active during play. Additionally some large scale changes will have to be made to the editor related how to visually edit the storyboards.
Just put that out there to show that this feature request (or its cousins) is not simply added.

I might want to work on this next year but no promises. More than enough other things have a higher priority. ;)
Topic Starter
Matma Rex
Hm, I was thinking that maybe it could be hacked in some way by substituting regular ints/floats in wherever they are stored with some cool class indicating int/float/variable that will self-update if needed (the variables could be stored in a simple hash/associative array/dictionary/however-is-it-called-in-C#).

Also, I'm not really asking for conditionals (although they would be great thing) - you can simulate them by using loops with variable set to either zero or one (I think).

Anyway, if you say it's not doable now, then it's probably not :(, I'm just thinking out loud.
awp
I don't think this sort of advanced storyboarding needs to be added to the editor; odds are the only people who will use these features (myself included) do all their scripting by hand, anyway.

On the subject of preprocessing, would it be possible to add a rand() function so that a storyboard appears slightly different each time you play it? It should still fall into pre-processing, since the value assigned to the calling variable has no real-time game state dependencies.
Intermezzo

awp wrote:

On the subject of preprocessing, would it be possible to add a rand() function so that a storyboard appears slightly different each time you play it? It should still fall into pre-processing, since the value assigned to the calling variable has no real-time game state dependencies.
Possible, yes.