forum

One Republic - Apologize

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Slezak
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 at 7:37:17 PM

Artist: One Republic
Title: Apologize
BPM: 118
Filesize: 4263kb
Play Time: 02:44
Difficulties Available:
  1. Easy (1.12 stars, 117 notes)
  2. Normal (2.16 stars, 160 notes)
  3. Hard (2.89 stars, 189 notes)
Download: One Republic - Apologize
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
Well, I decided to do something a little more "mainstream". However, don't think this is just another cookie-cutter beatmap. Oh no. Even though it doesn't have a background image or anything like that, I did create some custom sounds that fit well with the beatmap. They're especially noticeable during the chorus and second verse parts. Enjoy! And as always, feedback is greatly appreciated. Any criticism you have about this beatmap is welcome, just as long as it is constructive.
I will add Normal, Hard, and Insane versions eventually. However, this is a rather simple song that might be hard to come up with patterns for on the later difficulties.

UPDATE! Normal difficulty completed! Enjoy. Note to Rolled: I didn't change the slider configurations in the easy level, but I took your advice when I made Normal. Thanks, pal.

UPDATE 2! Fixed some beat spacing issues I noticed in Normal difficulty. (I figured I'd take care of it before anyone noticed.) Considering attempting to make Hard difficulty. (It's possible if you listen closely to the lyrics.)

UPDATE 3!! WAZAAAM! HARD difficulty completed! ...Though it's only 2.89 stars, I don't agree with it... It is hard. Very hard... for me, at least.

SUPER AWESOME MEGA UPDATE!!!!! WAZAAAAAM!!! Easy sliders fixed, made a bunch of combos a lot shorter (Nothing goes over 7 or 8 now, I think), and I also added a bit of silence to the beginning of my custom sounds so they'd come in a little later. Tell me whatcha think, and if there's nothing else wrong, THIS IS IT, PEOPLE!

Small update. Forgot a whistle sound on one of the sliders in normal. Corrected.
Rolled
/me likes mainstream.

The slider sound is pretty awesome. First time I heard it I was wow'd. As for the other one.. seems a bit out of place imo. More suitable for AIM or something :P

One thing I do suggest though is avoid those sliders with overlapping start/finish points. They can cause some confusion since it's pretty hard sometimes to distinguish where they're going:

1:17:05
1:25:18
2:40:69

Nice beatmap though. I like how you go above the norm and put custom sounds in there :D Starred, upon more difficulties. Normal will be fine imo, since a hard difficulty would be kind of awkward. But if you have something up your sleeve, feel free to prove me wrong :P
James
One thing I don't like are the sliders in easy, it kinda confuses me. But its all right though, since the slider velocity is slow.

Well thats all for me. :)
Topic Starter
Slezak
Thanks for your comments, everyone!

Look out for Hard mode, probably coming soon. (Most likely tomorrow, possibly before then, but definitely before the end of this week.)
mtmcl
Remember what you said about offsets in the Super Mario Brothers Super Show thread? Your offset sounds a little too late. Try -10 and 48803 and tell me the difference to you. There might be a problem on your end.

I really want to see this map ranked. It demonstrates some really cool mapping techniques.
Topic Starter
Slezak
It must be a discrepency of audio offsets, because when I tried your offsets, they sounded too early. Mine sound like they're right on time... Hmm... Your results may vary...

Any other suggestions or comments?
mtmcl
I really have nothing else to add. A few people have noted problems with the easy sliders. I really think they're cool looking, but they are pretty tough - especially for easy mode.

I'd bubble this, but I'm going to wait for another mod's opinion on the timing and the sliders. If another mod bubbles it, I'll rank it.
Rolled
I approve of everything except easy's sliders, sadly. The three I feel that need to be changed is the circular one towards the end, and the two identical oval-shaped ones in the middle. Other than that this song deserves its rank.
Topic Starter
Slezak
Yeah. I'll fix 'em shortly along with one or two other things I've noticed.

Edit: The deeds are done, the goose is cooked, and the plates are on the table. Enjoy, people!
mtmcl

Slezak wrote:

The deeds are done, the goose is cooked, and the plates are on the table. Enjoy, people!
Haha. I like you. I also like your map. Bubbed.
Echo
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
Slezak
Yes!!! Thanks for the ranking! This is awesome!

*Holds up ranking heart inscribed with the song's name*

(A la Link from Faces of Evil) I WON!!

*Begins contemplating what song he might beatmap next*
peppy
Amazing creativity with the slider samples. Great work there!!
Topic Starter
Slezak
Thanks, Peppy! I wanted to take it further than the standard (Boop boop boop boop etc.) harmonic hit sounds found in certain beatmaps.
I hope to create more beatmaps like that in the future with more song-augmenting hit sounds and sliders, despite the limitations currently in place. (Normal+whistle+finish, with the W and F additive to the N, not to mention only two custom soundsets are available (Custom normal and custom soft, but you can make both "normals" or "softs" if you so choose))
Also, it kinda gives you incentive to not mess up on the sliders, because if you do, the sound will restart and it won't sound right.
peppy
I do hope to expand the options for custom samples in the near future :).
Topic Starter
Slezak
Ahaha... That'd be awesome, Peppy.

[strike]Guys, thanks to the new public release and easier audio-offset calibration, looks like my timing is indeed a little early. That means I'll have to retime, resnap, and resubmit... Boom, there goes my ranking... I think. Anybody have any suggestions? Can you tell me if it'd lose its 'ranked' status if I retimed and resubmitted? Thanks.[/strike]

Erm, disregard that. It sounds fine to me now... (My audio offset still needs to be changed sometimes... I wonder why...)