forum

[Archived] [fix] osu runs on intergrated graphics instead of NVIDIA gpu

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
loldcraft
Problem Details:
Hear me out before flaming me for making a support post even though i've found the solution

applies to NVIDIA GPUs only

for the less informed about computers:
SPOILER
in a computer there's ALWAYS a central processing unit (CPU) and optionally a graphics processing unit(GPU), and obviously the latter is better at handling graphics. However there is basic graphic processing capabilities intergrated into the CPU (hence intergrated graphics) but its done more slowly. for low load work the system uses the CPU since turning the GPU off saves power, thus some computers might end up recognising osu as low load and not utilise the graphics card and thus runing at less than full potential (and causing lag, since graphics processing isn't quite the CPU's job)
story:
SPOILER
Apprantly the first time I ran osu it was laggier than my other games, and crapped out my pc at kiai time/streams/sliderspam portions of maps, but it made no sense considering I am able to run other 3D games reletively smoothly, so i poked around and realised my graphics card usage happened to always be none when osu is running, and thus found a way to fix it (and yes quite a few other people I know experience the same issue)

FIX:
1: open the start menu
2: click control panel
3: type "nvidia" into the search box
4: open the nvidia control panel
5: click the area highlighted by the red box in the screenshot below
6: now open the program settings tab
7:click add
8: select osu from the list, if its not there click browse and browse to C:\Program Files (x86)\osu! and select osu.exe
9: go to the second dropdown box and select "high performance Nvidia processor"
10: click apply at the bottom right and its done

In fact, this works for many games other than osu, incl minecraft etc...

SUGGESTION: until there's a way to make it run on GPU by default, either make osu detect that a graphics card and warn about it, and include information about it here https://osu.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articl ... -Solutions
or at least put this guide/info up somewhere prominent
(i'm willing to retype, add more pictures/video tutorial should this be posted up)

i'm not too sure if it affects the newer cards, but nvidia is quite a popular brand of gpus so i'll imagine it would affect many people

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

SPOILER

auto select should not be choosing integrated!

osu! version: all versions
TheVileOne
It would be a useful thing to add to common issues and solutions for sure.
XPJ38
Does your card integrate Optimus?
Topic Starter
loldcraft

XPJ38 wrote:

yes, nvidia optimus. its the same stupid thing that stops the graphics card from functioning correctly on ubuntu
Nathanael
I never applied this, thanks. But for some reason, when I close the NVIDIA panel, it disappears.
XPJ38

loldcraft wrote:

XPJ38 wrote:

yes, nvidia optimus. its the same stupid thing that stops the graphics card from functioning correctly on ubuntu
Oh so that's why it is happening, I was wondering how it could possibly happen on a regular GPU. Your how-to could be helpful indeed.
Topic Starter
loldcraft

Nathanael wrote:

I never applied this, thanks. But for some reason, when I close the NVIDIA panel, it disappears.
try to untick "show only programs found on this computer"
if you manually added, you might need to click on the osu.exe and click open, not "add current folder"
else just manually add just in case
Nathanael
Even I did chose the executable itself, it still disappears. I'll check it again when i have time.
Marcin
I don't even know why would you run off from nvidia GPU - newest generation is more than sufficient for osu!, and even older one (3rd) is pretty good (500 fps here)

*5cents*
Topic Starter
loldcraft

Marcin wrote:

I don't even know why would you run off from nvidia GPU - newest generation is more than sufficient for osu!, and even older one (3rd) is pretty good (500 fps here)

*5cents*
reduces input lag for me, and for me the lag only shows up at areas with heavy effects/sliders/SB/video
also for people with ancient machines it might help abit
speedster007
Apparently i realized that my osu runs on integrated graphics instead nvidia gpu, i tried to change it to run with my graphics card through the NVIDIA control panel which resulted osu to crash upon startup. Out of the many techniques i tried, this one worked. I ran the cuttingedge version of osu. I hope this helps. :D