forum

make a #league channel

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +60
Topic Starter
Maeglwn
Before this immediately gets turned into "LOL THIS HAS BEEN SUGGESTED SO MANY TIMES PLS BAN MAEGLWN HE'S DUMB" read the post.

This game desperately needs a #league. It's gotten pretty bad lately, well not even lately, as of a year ago, right around the time when I joined. #osu and #videogames are both filled with it, and as much as nobody would like to admit it there is a massive problem with random league players flooding both chats.

Before this immediately gets dismissed, I want people to look at this from a moderator's point of view. Myself and others included definitely report people for talking about League in #osu. Half of the time this doesn't do anything, but at least it provokes a !faq videogames from a mod (if one of those mythical things is on, they don't exist a lot) It's a rule not to talk about video games (league) in #osu. So they get sent to #videogames.

Now, #videogames, a chat that is supposed to be for talk about widespread video game talk that isn't just League, is a chat that gets basically used for random discussion about nothing video game related, and then random league players asking for people to carry them. The reason why nobody goes to #videogames is because there's League players there. And to be perfectly honest, I'm pretty sure a large portion of the community understands the League community is awful.

So why push the issue away to another channel that nobody will be in because nobody wants to be surrounded by the stereotype that league players are awful? Why not invite people to actually use the #videogames channel for its INTENDED purpose, to talk about, you know, video games (other than league too, there are other video games too) instead of being a cesspool and a blank channel half of the time?

As it is, it doesn't really seem like even league players want to go to #videogames because even the name itself basically says "this is a channel for things that aren't league and you're just generalizing it". There's obvious joking constantly of random people in #osu or otherwise saying "#league" and stuff like that expecting it to work when it doesn't after a !faq videogames. Because half of the community is league players. Unfortunate, but it's true.

Therefore, I suggest that #league be made. Then !faq league and !faq lol can be created, league players can have their own little community, and #videogames can be a whole lot more inviting. And #osu of course wouldn't be filled with the cancer that it's usually filled with. That's not just a player issue, but I'm not going to get into that here.

So there's my slightly angry, redundant, probably going to be marked invalid feature request. I invite anybody to give me a decent reason other than "this has been suggested" or "#videogames exists already" or "there's no reason to give a game its own channel when we have #videogames, that would mean we would have to give every game its own channel" (because if you seriously think that you're avoiding the issue and not admitting the impact league has on the community). The obvious rebuttals.

tl;dr: http://puu.sh/7AAqk.jpg

update that I never updated:

peppy wrote:

I'm still unsure about channels for other games. While I have nothing against it, I just don't know if it *feels* right. I'm against advertising other services, and this marginally infringes on that rule. But at the same time, it will allow for a bit more organisation. Will think about it.
deadbeat
fwiw, i don't recall any requests for a LoL channel.
it *could* be something to consider since there is a huge league base, i'm just worried about it being empty like #videogames
Piine
I find this pretty legit. I mean if it can stop LoL players from flooding chats with "OH EUW is DOWN" and stuff, why not. (Unless peppy says it advertises games and then automatically says no...)
Bauxe
I don't think it would really stop the LoL spam in #osu. From what I have seen, most of the people who do it are:

1) New, and have no idea about the channels (which is probably why they are posting in #osu in the first place)
2) Trolls

Not against the idea, but I don't think it would solve the problem.
Topic Starter
Maeglwn

Bauxe wrote:

I don't think it would really stop the LoL spam in #osu. From what I have seen, most of the people who do it are:

1) New, and have no idea about the channels (which is probably why they are posting in #osu in the first place)
2) Trolls

Not against the idea, but I don't think it would solve the problem.
"That's not just a player issue, but I'm not going to get into that here."
Topic Starter
Maeglwn

deadbeat wrote:

fwiw, i don't recall any requests for a LoL channel.
it *could* be something to consider since there is a huge league base, i'm just worried about it being empty like #videogames
videogames is empty because of teh presence of league players in the channel
neurosis
might as well, everyone plays it for some reason
dkun
peppy has personally denied this on the basis that we don't have a "LoL server", therefore not adding a standalone channel for it.

Newer people don't know #videogames exist and are generally just trolls to begin with if they're talking about league in the fashion you speak of.
Vuelo Eluko
blame the streamers like boxbox and dyrus for bringing a relatively small/maintained by one person/content by the community, game to the drones who play LoL.
peppy
I'm still unsure about channels for other games. While I have nothing against it, I just don't know if it *feels* right. I'm against advertising other services, and this marginally infringes on that rule. But at the same time, it will allow for a bit more organisation. Will think about it.
Ekaru

peppy wrote:

Maybe a channel for the MOBA genre in general then? <.<;
Lach

Ekaru wrote:

I can't see that going well, given that no matter where you go there's always bickering between dota2 and LoL players.
Vuelo Eluko

Ekaru wrote:

peppy wrote:

Oh man that won't end well. Those different communities aren't exactly on the best of terms. LoL hates Dota, Dota hates LoL, and HoN pretty much hates everyone including themselves.

edit:

Lach wrote:

Ekaru wrote:

I can't see that going well, given that no matter where you go there's always bickering between dota2 and LoL players.
HM
Stefan
Without coming with the 08/15 "amg dis is alrdy denied STAPH DIS SHi--" comments I seriously do not think this will helps for a bit. Let me show how 99% of the cases looks like:

User1: hi, anyone playing here LoL? My fav champ is..
Moderator: please use #videogames
-2 minutes later-
User1: anyone playing here LoL?

This is one case, the other one would be:

User1: *talking about LoL stuff*
User2: *talking about LoL stuff*
User1: But LoL isn't really a videogame
User2: yeah and #videogames is dead anyways and no one use it

Mostly these are newer users in Case one. In Case two there are maybe longer one which are quite stubborn to switch in the channel because there is no real reason and they think they do not annoy anyone. Honestly I really do not care if people start talking about LoL, I mean they could start talking about DotA or HoN and I seriously would not care even so I find this dumb discussion "huuuuuu LoL sucks DotA ftw / wuuuuuu DotA sucks LoL ftw" really annoying but this has some serious and obvious reasons unlike getting annoyed by looking people talking about a game. But the problem are the people's behaviour, and no one can really change them. This will, how it's going at the moment, end that:

- people stop writing in the public chat
- people get silenced despite of the warnings

I think like a really really little part of these people will follow to go in the #league channel. In short: Another dead channel.
Topic Starter
Maeglwn

Stefan wrote:

Without coming with the 08/15 "amg dis is alrdy denied STAPH DIS SHi--" comments I seriously do not think this will helps for a bit. Let me show how 99% of the cases looks like:

User1: hi, anyone playing here LoL? My fav champ is..
-2 minutes later-
User1: anyone playing here LoL?

This is one case, the other one would be:

User1: *talking about LoL stuff*
User2: *talking about LoL stuff*
User1: But LoL isn't really a videogame
User2: yeah and #videogames is dead anyways and no one use it

Mostly these are newer users in Case one. In Case two there are maybe longer one which are quite stubborn to switch in the channel because there is no real reason and they think they do not annoy anyone. Honestly I really do not care if people start talking about LoL, I mean they could start talking about DotA or HoN and I seriously would not care even so I find this dumb discussion "huuuuuu LoL sucks DotA ftw / wuuuuuu DotA sucks LoL ftw" really annoying but this has some serious and obvious reasons unlike getting annoyed by looking people talking about a game. But the problem are the people's behaviour, and no one can really change them. This will, how it's going at the moment, end that:

- people stop writing in the public chat
- people get silenced despite of the warnings

I think like a really really little part of these people will follow to go in the #league channel. In short: Another dead channel.
you need to look at it from the consumer standpoint. if it's named #league, it's going to pull in league players. by your logic every call of duty game would eventually die out but it doesn't
Topic Starter
Maeglwn

dkun wrote:

peppy has personally denied this on the basis that we don't have a "LoL server", therefore not adding a standalone channel for it.

Newer people don't know #videogames exist and are generally just trolls to begin with if they're talking about league in the fashion you speak of.
we also no longer have a minecraft server and haven't for some time. this logic no longer applies
Stefan
Well, peppy could (if he decides to do that) add the channel for a time period and see how "successful" this channel is. If it ends like #videogames then it should be removed. I think this would be the best way to see instead to think about if it has potential or not.
Topic Starter
Maeglwn

Stefan wrote:

Well, peppy could (if he decides to do that) add the channel for a time period and see how "successful" this channel is. If it ends like #videogames then it should be removed. I think this would be the best way to see instead to think about if it has potential or not.
as long as the time period is more than enough time to make current players and new players both aware of the fact that it exists, then sure
dkun

Maeglwn wrote:

we also no longer have a minecraft server and haven't for some time. this logic no longer applies
You're taking half my quote and throwing the other half out the window fwiw. But, it still does make sense. We do have a Minecraft server still. (the more you know!) It's just under work.

From a moderator point of view, people who talk about league and the sense (MOBA) are generally what Stefan described. I don't see #videogames being used for it, then why should we add a dedicated channel on top of a dead channel?

It just makes zero sense. I still believe that the "newer people don't know videogames exist" or even generally care. Half the LoL related material I see is spam worthy to begin with.

On a more personal note, I do play LoL. I would love a LoL channel, but I just believe that osu! doesn't need one. I've said before to prove its worth by using #videogames, but where has that gotten us? (here's a tip, nowhere!)
Topic Starter
Maeglwn

dkun wrote:

Maeglwn wrote:

You're taking half my quote and throwing the other half out the window fwiw. But, it still does make sense. We do have a Minecraft server still. (the more you know!) It's just under work.

From a moderator point of view, people who talk about league and the sense (MOBA) are generally what Stefan described. I don't see #videogames being used for it, then why should we add a dedicated channel on top of a dead channel?

It just makes zero sense. I still believe that the "newer people don't know videogames exist" or even generally care. Half the LoL related material I see is spam worthy to begin with.

On a more personal note, I do play LoL. I would love a LoL channel, but I just believe that osu! doesn't need one. I've said before to prove its worth by using #videogames, but where has that gotten us? (here's a tip, nowhere!)
instead of getting needlessly aggressive because I said something, lets think about this in a logical manner for a second

sure, there's the obvious league trolls, but there's also a decent majority of league players that 1) play osu more than league but still like talking about it and 2) aren't trolls and actually enjoy both games and are just looking for other people to play with/whatever. it makes a large amount of sense when you think about it from not just the troll perspective. if everybody that plays league was a troll that just spouted random nonsense over #osu, then we wouldn't obviously need the channel

but you yourself just said that you play league and would love a channel. I'm pretty sure by your status in general that you're not a random troll from league (obviously enough). #videogames is a dead channel because it's (and I'll keep using this analogy until the end of time because it applies so well) like a dance in which all of the girls are on one side and all of the guys are on the other side and instead of talking in the middle of the "dance" and doing productive things they sit off to the side and wait for somebody else to talk. that's the very small population of people that actually go there, btw.

then you have the obvious reason why nobody goes to #videogames, which is because all the league players are "expected" at least to go there. and the league players don't go there because they want to talk about league and a channel called #videogames doesn't imply just league. that's a stereotype, but a pretty good one at that. generally, you can't stereotype players that much, but from experience that's what I've seen.

it's a perfectly viable solution to a year old problem. besides, it won't be dead, because people like yourself just even said you would like the channel. people would definitely use it. then #videogames can go back to being used for actual videogame talk now that nobody is scared to go into it in the chance that they'd get trolled or driven away by a bunch of angry league players.
show more