forum

Touhosu! / Dodge the Beat

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +12,142
Topic Starter
Yasa
In a thread titled "Dodge the Beat" (which was locked by peppy due to immature posts) Peppy said the following.

I actually do see a point (in touhosu!) and it is on my personal list as a game mode I'd like to see in osu!. And yes, I'll make it work and work well :P.
(For the purposes of this thread I will assume peppy was not being sarcastic)

Although I trust if anyone could make such a mode work, that it would be peppy, I also feel it important that the community presents ideas for the implementation of such a mode in order to make the entire process not only easier for peppy (Coming up with ideas for something like this can't be too easy... can it?) but also to ensure the maximum enjoyment of the mode for the community...

Maybe I am just wasting my time typing this and this thread may be locked on sight for being a duplicate (More or less?) of "Dodge the Beat" but nevertheless, I think I might as well give it a shot.

*Ahem*

The only idea I can really think of to make the initial idea of a bullet hell rhythm game which is beatmap based work is where each beat is a set of bullets...

That is to say that on each beat (the sort which would be clicked on in standard osu!), some bullets are fired.

The origin of the bullets is decided by the x,y co-ordinates of the beat in standard osu. In order to prevent bullets from spawning on top of the player, the y plane could be compressed to half it's size and positioned on the top half of the screen and the player restricted to the lower half of the screen...

Combo's could contain one kind of bullet and the next combo contains a different kind and a different firing pattern... to use Touhou as an example, you could go from 40 snow bullets shaking down the screen to 7 orbs shooting in a straight line

sliders could basically have the ticks as smaller firing points (firing fewer bullets than a standard beat I guess, perhaps smaller too)

I can't really think of anything for spinners right now...

As far as rhythm goes hmmm, I guess that's where it gets a bit hard... it depends on if you feel the bullets getting shot in time to the music to be enough... something else could be thought up though...

for scoring, well, I think a graze system would be best, each bullet grazed is +1 combo and each hit resets score... bullets having a flat rate would be a good idea since there are multiple bullets coming from each beat it means people with more skill will get more points from each beat than someone of lesser skill...

oh, as far as the three difficulty things go...

Accuracy = hitbox size/bullets fired from a beat
HP Drain = lives...
Circle size = bullets fired from a beat/bullet size

*endahem*

Well eh, I am not sure if this thread is really something which should exist but I really have no idea else to contribute to the idea making process for such a mode...

Just to make sure that's clear, I'm not at all under the impression that these ideas are the only way it would work... they are just suggestions for how such a mode could successfully be made... perhaps if peppy does intend to make such a mode he could look at this thread and see some ideas which may help him come up with a final product which is better than it would otherwise be? :P

But yeah, It would be good to have similar suggestions/constructive criticism with regards to suggestions... in order to have a good pool of ideas from which peppy could perhaps pluck a good idea or two from :P

Just one final note: This thread should only be used to discuss how Touhosu! could be implemented and how it could work...

(I hope all that text makes sense to everyone, I'm not very confident in my sense making skills :P)

PS: Yes I used :P a lot... here, have another :P
peppy
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Nachy
Well this sounds kind of silly and complicated I guess, but I was thinking shooting to the rhythm of the map a target that is positioned based on the editing of the map for example, and bullets trying to hit you to prevent you from shooting the target at the right time etc.
I guess stacks, streams and jumps also come to play and can affect difficulty on shooting the targets, and maybe targets also need to be shot with the right bullet based on hitsounds, for example one key on the keyboard for ordinary beats, one for whistles/claps and I guess finishes are like bombs, and the bombs obtained on each mapset is based on the overall difficulty and how many finishes the map has. Spinners can be a massive bullet dodging part on the map.
Topic Starter
Yasa
I certainly wasn't thinking you'd completely mold together a mode from stuff in this thread :P

Anyway, as I see it, there are two ways to mix rhythm with the bullets...
first of all, making the bullets spawning at the time the beat would be clicked...
secondly, locking y position and having the bullet/set of bullets match your y position at the time the beat would be clicked...

Certainly, since the bullets will be made from an existing beatmap as opposed to a custom bullet pattern, it definitely needs to be considered how it will be made intricate and require a lot of skill to pass a map like... well anything DJpop made's hardest difficulty... without it being impossible (well DJpop's maps are impossible but you know what I mean :P)...

Hmmm, I've assumed a non-shooting run style of play, I guess having the player shooting or not having it would make a huge difference to gameplay...

NachoPiggy, I think it would most definitely be better to keep it as simple as is reasonable and such a sound based idea would perhaps be a bit hard when you are trying to dodge the kind of heavy bullets one expects in Bullet hell games

I think just plainly getting shot at and dodging, getting points through that somehow and the better you dodge the more points you get bla bla bla...
Pasonia
I was thinking of a reverse catch the beat where the beats and sliders generate certain patterns, and dodging them earns you points (with multipliers every, say, 30 notes+ticks)

Needless to say, the faster the song the faster the patterns (so it becomes a little more like speed dodging rather than the touhou type of bullet hell).
Daru
The say I see this is bullets getting shot from the top, where circle size affects bullet size (harder - larger), BPM affects bullet amount, HP drain affects the number of lives you have (or, for a damage system, how much HP the bullets take off of you), and Overall Difficulty affecting speed of the bullets. Where they are shot from is affected by the placement of the beat, and the pattern that gets shot will be based on the hitsounds being used. Sliders will be handled with constant fire coming from the slider path, similar to what would happen if, in Touhou, bullets were coming from the boss/midboss and that character stared moving. The bullets would reverse or change in pattern at every slidertick. Spinners would be "spinner" bullets, where bullets seem to appear in a spiral fashion around the boss. Combo will automatically be obtained when the bullets start moving (so they go with the beat), but you will only get points for dodging bullets and hitting the boss.

For variety's sake, I'd like each song to have a specific bullet pattern assigned to it, but randomly. Perhaps osu! can pick a bullet pattern for each type (slider, hit, spinner) of hit based on the number of characters in the name, or some other characteristic of the song that doesn't change, but is likely to assign the song with a different bullet set than the rest of the songs.

Also, bosses, the player character, and bullets should be skinnable. :3
Hanyuu
my idea:

the amount of bullets shot by enemy at once depending on overall difficulty level
enemy will shoot bullets all the time to the BPM
enemy appearing location and route made with sliders in editor (on the grid). end of slider enemy will leave if not defeated.
enemy moving speed, slider velocity
different enemy types with different hitsounds! +spinner for a special enemy that shoot bullets in a circle or something
if it is not 1 hit killed, the HP drain level can change the players HP ?
boss enemy at kiai time? or maybe not a boss but a bigger stronger one that shoot ALOT MORE
background animation im not sure.. maybe not changable but different levels to chose
more than one way of shooting for the player (chosing different weapons?)
higher combos will make the player stronger. (miss, a enemy will escape or the player is hit for combobreak

mods:

flashlight around enemys+player
hidden: projectiles will slowly become invisible
double time
jonathan_old
How about color-based shot types? For example, Green can be a wide double shot, Blue can be two shots in succession in time to the key signature, red can be a shotgun-style formation of 5, and yellow or orange can be a bomb shot you can't get 10 pixels within when it explodes.
Daru

jonathan wrote:

How about color-based shot types? For example, Green can be a wide double shot, Blue can be two shots in succession in time to the key signature, red can be a shotgun-style formation of 5, and yellow or orange can be a bomb shot you can't get 10 pixels within when it explodes.
The problem with that is maps don't use the same colors, and there are literally 255^3 possible colors to choose from. Also, users with different skins will see different types of shots for maps that use the skin's default color scheme.
Neo@lex

Daru wrote:

jonathan wrote:

The problem with that is maps don't use the same colors, and there are literally 255^3 possible colors to choose from. Also, users with different skins will see different types of shots for maps that use the skin's default color scheme.
.osu files (and probably skins) define the colors at the beginning, so rather than for actual colors, it could just be color 1, color 2 ect.
jonathan_old
Actually, color 1 numbering seems great, and I just had a crazy idea for having different shot set types for each difficulty.
Cheery
Sounds good ^^.
I had trouble imagining Pippi as a player character though.. her special attack? o-o; haha, good luck~
ThePassingShadow
This is a reallly cool idea. I'll be keeping up with this thread.
Cornbread617
I think this would be pretty damn cool.
jockeytiyan

Cheery wrote:

Sounds good ^^.
I had trouble imagining Pippi as a player character though.. her special attack? o-o; haha, good luck~
Attack? If the player can attack, it should as well be only for points. However, seeing as it is, the proposal is really going for bullet dodging rather than a shooting game. So attacks would be unnecessary without any enemies to put in the first place, and without any purpose but just for points.
Daru
It occurs to me that Pippi will need a hat of some sort to be put into a Touhou-like game.
Cyclone
Layola_old
Thought of this when I read the title:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz10bka9Ly4

Synced so well. Would be awesome to have something like this o:!
Daru

Layola wrote:

Thought of this when I read the title:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz10bka9Ly4

Synced so well. Would be awesome to have something like this o:!
Looking at that, which is epic, by the way, I being to think that this could work not only as a mod or special mode of osu!, but also as a standalone game, simply with support of osu! beatmaps. I wouldn't mind "custom", touhou-only maps for this, like taiko has custom maps.
Gabi
show more