forum

Multiplayer live score ranking

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +4
Topic Starter
Ph0X
You know when you're playing in a multiplayer game, and the ranks keep jumping up and down since there's a delay between the connections (ping).

Wouldn't it be better if with each score packet sent, it also contained the beat# and for example, if i only received oppenents score until beat #62, it would compare my #62 to his #62 and rank this way, instead of comparing my latest score to his latest score which isnt updated yet. This would avoid all the jumping in the side panel.

Maybe I totally got this wrong, but in theory, it should work?
peppy
This would mean the scores on the left would lag behind several seconds rather than staying as up-to-date as possible. It would also mean if one player loses connection or experiences a large lag period, the scoreboard would freeze during this time. It is an interesting concept, but not sure how well it will work in practice.
Topic Starter
Ph0X
True, high latency and big lags would delay the scoreboard, but what if the score is always updated to the max but the RANK only switched when two scores of the same position are compared.

Again, if someone is having a ~500ms latency, he could easily be behind of 10+ beats behind.
Now I'm trying to see how it would look like if you put a limit of time that it will wait. So if someone is more than 5beats behind, it would ignore the restriction and just directly compare the scores. But then the person who's lagging would be jumping up and down constantly? What if, when the person's stuck at #95 for example, it would then, after 5beats delay, go to the next, so it would be comparing it with #96 and then #97 until a new beat is received from that person who's lagging.

The thing is, if you somehow implement anything slightly like this, it would reduce those quick switching in the ranking by alot, and that's mainly what i'm trying to solve here.

If the gave waited even a small 200ms before switching you to the top, I'm sure it would never switch like that between every single beat.

I'll be thinking about this more. I'm sure there's a way of doing this while still staying efficient (lowest amount of calculations possible), accurate (comparing the score of the same positions as much as possible) and easy to implement (we don't want some crazy system right?).

Anyone has any other ideas?
peppy
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
anonymous_old
I think it's fine as-is. The jumping only occurs if people are SS'ing the beginning of the map or spinning or something. Once a 100 kicks in a few times the rank starts to even out.
Gabi
how about being able to hide that bar like you can in solo play <_<
Topic Starter
Ph0X

peppy wrote:

Try not to wall of text implementation details and look at things on a higher level. It works best.
Was telling myself exactly the same, I actually deleted half of it ;P

strager wrote:

I think it's fine as-is. The jumping only occurs if people are SS'ing the beginning of the map or spinning or something. Once a 100 kicks in a few times the rank starts to even out.
Not really, with slightly higher latency (people from different continents) someone often is 2-3 hits behind me and we always switch even though he has a bigger score

Just wondering, are these matchs hosted on Bancho, so all the score passes by the server and back to the player?
What if the ranking was calculated by the server and then sent to the user? The ranking would still slightly lag behind (~100ms) but the score would stay fully updated.

P.S.: Out of curiosity, I always been intrigued by the different calculations the game uses.
For the Accuracy, does it go:
[score without multipliers] / ([# of beats pressed] * 300) * 100
anonymous_old

Ph0X wrote:

What if the ranking was calculated by the server and then sent to the user? The ranking would still slightly lag behind (~100ms) but the score would stay fully updated.
What? Most likely, player-score pairs are sent, and points obtained and fail/pass status, not the rank number.

Ph0X wrote:

P.S.: Out of curiosity, I always been intrigued by the different calculations the game uses.
For the Accuracy, does it go:

[score without multipliers] / ([# of beats pressed] * 300) * 100
http://osu.ppy.sh/?p=faq&n=2&c=7
Kitsunemimi

strager wrote:

It's easy to SS songs in CtB ._.