forum

[Skinning] More Options For Cursors/Cursortrails

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +204
Topic Starter
laeamminlakana
The skin.ini file has no editing that can be done on the cursor-trail (correct me if I'm wrong). So currently we have 2 modes for the cursor trail, the one with the cursormiddle.png and the one without it, why not make it change-able from the skin.ini? Same goes for the length of the trail on the cursormiddle one, I'd really like that trail, IF the trail was like 1/10th the current length since the tracking is so clean I can't help but want it over the other one, so why not make that toggleable?
I'll suggest setting or 2:
trailfadestart = 0-255 //the time it takes for the trail to start fading with 255 being like 5 seconds
trailfadetime = 0-255 //the time it takes to fade after the fadestart
trailframerate = 0-255 //self explanatory 0=1 frame/second 255 = 256 frames/second
oldtrail = 0/1 // toggling the old trail, which is the one without the cursormiddle.

I wanna see this get attention, as the the current situation is rather bad if you ask me.
Put more suggestions so that peppy or whoever needs to give this attention. :>
razavana
I was thinking about the same thing but I didnt have an idea about how it should be implemented.
Anyway, great idea and i totaly support it (though 5 seconds is a bit extreme).
mcdoomfrag
Topic Starter
laeamminlakana

razavana wrote:

I was thinking about the same thing but I didnt have an idea about how it should be implemented.
Anyway, great idea and i totaly support it (though 5 seconds is a bit extreme).
5 second is an absolute max though in the post as I mentioned, and there was a "is like 5 seconds" which was just to say, which was more of a pointer towards the fact that the time should be really damn long in order to give a crapton of options for us skinner folks.

As a sidetrack to my earlier post, sliders should be possible to be made transparent, since I personally have my hit circles 60% transparency which makes it really easy to read off a black bg with impact font numbers with a bold effect, but sliders on the style "1" can't have this, but the style 1 is rather useful aswell since it (just like the transparent hitcircles) makes reading easier. haven't tested any other styles than "1" though so~~ yeah.
Topic Starter
laeamminlakana

mcdoomfrag wrote:

Wrong Section ?

Yes it is, sorry about that, didn't notice there was a feat. requests cuz I put this in wherever I first saw the word "development".

Does a mod need to move or is there some magic a threadstarter can do? If I can fix this teach me/ If I can't move it for me. Tyvm.
XPJ38
I did it for you :P
Abel
If im not wrong, when a cursor have cursortrailmiddle or how its called, the trail size depends on the speed you move the cursor, try moving slow, to see how long it is, and try moving fast and see how long it is, also, use a trail of 10pixel x and y to see how it really comports,
sorry, but this you just posted is usseless
razavana
It's not about the speed at which you move, what he wants is control over how fast it fades and how many times per second it's updated.
Kayla
on top of this i think having cursor trail gradient would be beautiful
Topic Starter
laeamminlakana

-Accelerator wrote:

If im not wrong, when a cursor have cursortrailmiddle or how its called, the trail size depends on the speed you move the cursor, try moving slow, to see how long it is, and try moving fast and see how long it is, also, use a trail of 10pixel x and y to see how it really comports,
SPOILER

Brimroth wrote:

The skin.ini file has no editing that can be done on the cursor-trail (correct me if I'm wrong). So currently we have 2 modes for the cursor trail, the one with the cursormiddle.png and the one without it, why not make it change-able from the skin.ini? Same goes for the length of the trail on the cursormiddle one, I'd really like that trail, IF the trail was like 1/10th the current length since the tracking is so clean I can't help but want it over the other one, so why not make that toggleable?
trailfadestart = 0-255 //the time it takes for the trail to start fading with 255 being like 5 seconds
trailframerate = 0-255 //self explanatory 0=1 frame/second 255 = 256 frames/second
oldtrail = 0/1 // toggling the old trail, which is the one without the cursormiddle.
Did you read this? At all? I even said the cursormiddle affects the trail, all I basically was asking for was more control over the trail. As the current situation is really bad, all we have is the "old" trail which is the one without the cursormiddle, and the "new(2011)" trail which is one with the cursormiddle.
Abel

Brimroth wrote:

-Accelerator wrote:

SPOILER

Brimroth wrote:

Did you read this? At all? I even said the cursormiddle affects the trail, all I basically was asking for was more control over the trail. As the current situation is really bad, all we have is the "old" trail which is the one without the cursormiddle, and the "new(2011)" trail which is one with the cursormiddle.
Nah, I dont read usseless threads, sorry, but even I am a skinner, I see this kinda useless. My point.
Topic Starter
laeamminlakana

XPJ38 wrote:

I did it for you :P
Thanks for that.
Jezus Chrystus
Bump.
I want to see old smooth-new-style-from-old-default trail again. Switch for

in skin.ini would be very nice addition. These old trails were very fluid compared to current ones, and even after a year I just can't get used to it.
There probably was thread specifically about this issue, but I can't find it.
[Sean]
Request for a few things to add in regards to the skin.ini and ways that the cursor and related files work on the client.

Over the last year, maybe two, I've figured out how to turn the cursor trail from repetitive circle images (See Example 1) into a fading trail (Example 2). Unfortunately, to achieve this, you need to have a certain sized cursor trail. I don't know why, that's just how it works for me. I've had a fair few people ask me on Reddit and Twitch when ever I stream for a while for my skin, or wanting to know how I got the trail to do what it does, and explaining that they need a small image seems hard to them.

I made a larger one for a friend and discovered how this all works, and yeah. Found out that after a certain size, it goes from Example 2 to in between Example 2 and 1, where the trail is still there but you can make out the circles, and then when it's big enough, it turns into Example 1.

This request is to add the following to skin.ini to be able to toggle this per skin basis, or, if chosen to, be added into the options menu.

Examples (Ignore the cursor sizes, they are irrelevant, they're simply a per-skin basis since replacing files annoys me):

Example 1
Example 2

[Cursor]
CursorTrail.solid [default: 1, 2, 0]:
Default: Keep the cursor trail the way it is (Example 1).
Mode 2: A solid trail with no breaks that fades off (Example 2).
Mode 0: Disabled cursor trail.

CursorTrail.Length [Percentage] (10-100)
Mode 1: Distance from the first circle, and the last circle right before it fades out. An example would be 10 circles for 100% length.
Mode 2: Length of the trail. In Example 2, that trail is from a fast and distanced movement. At 15 percent, this trail would be significantly smaller. At 100% the trail is that length.

If Mode 1 CursorTrail.Spacing [Percentage]
This is a mode specific one. If it's set to mode one, how far must the cursor travel with both speed and distance moved, before cursortrail.png is replicated. Hard to describe, but rather then it being a trail like mode 2, it just shortens the spacing between each circle.

CursorTrail.Transparency [Variable] (15-255)
Self explanatory. The reason for 15 minimum means there's a subtle trail there, and it's not completely disabled. That would make the cursor mode irrelevant.

CursorTrail.Thickness [Variable] (1-10)
The same as Cursor sizing, where 1 is a thin trail, and 10 being the same size as cursortrail.png. This could be changed to 5 being default size of the image, and 10 being 2x it's size. Either is fine, but the second might make having the trail image a specific size weird if you increase it to larger then the cursor size.

That's about all I can think of. Like, it'd allow you to customize how the trail works. Not too much, but enough to be something you like. Also, sorry for the way it's presented in the format it's in. I had to do some pseudo code for a friend's project at Uni, and I'm pretty good at it apparently.
-Maus-
Ayy
Good thing actually
drum drum
Oinari-sama
Merged the topics.

Post here for all suggestions regarding cursor/cursortrails.
[Sean]
Well look at that, it was posted before. Here I was thinking there wouldn't be such a post.
chrisny
It's similiar to this one (p/24807) which is on [waiting] but well its 9 years old!
A trail which does not fade but rather gets shrinked down to 1 pixel within a set time would be a great option too. basically looking a bit like this o> if you can imagine a cone like trail.
Shizai
Recorded a vid for a friend showing diff between 144hz and 60hz, would be cool if we could get trails at high refresh rates always. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY9MGG-vPIw