forum

Other Taiko games?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
CaptainAhab_old
Howdy,

I am having a heck of a lot of fun with Taiko (just discovered this mode the other day). I hear about Taiko Sanjiro (Taikojiro?), and other clients. I was wondering if, for a new player, this is probably the best place to be if I want to play Taiko? Or should I probably look to a different Taiko game?

Thanks! Wish this mode was more popular!
NoYzE
I have tested the other Taiko clients like taikojiro 1 and 2 and i definitely like taikosu (the taiko mode of osu) the most.
I also play Taiko no Tatsujin Portable 1 and DX on PSP so i know a little how the original feels.
To be honest i think for real close taiko emulation the emulators like taikojiro may be a little bit more "authentic".
However, for some reason i dislike the "judgment" of taikojiro, because it says you failed a note long time before it was in the judgment zone, when you freestyle drummed. This isn't a problem in TnT and Taikosu.
Also, taikojiro has no mp3 support and maps have to be written with text editor.
In taikosu you have at least a graphical editor and mp3 support.
In addition to that you can play any osu song in taiko mode, even if they often are pretty....not so good^^ due to the automatic convert
In taikojiro you mostly have authentic TnT maps afaik, but some nice ppl also did map a huge amount of authentic TnT maps for osu too.
Topic Starter
CaptainAhab_old

NoYzE wrote:

I have tested the other Taiko clients like taikojiro 1 and 2 and i definitely like taikosu (the taiko mode of osu) the most.
I also play Taiko no Tatsujin Portable 1 and DX on PSP so i know a little how the original feels.
To be honest i think for real close taiko emulation the emulators like taikojiro may be a little bit more "authentic".
However, for some reason i dislike the "judgment" of taikojiro, because it says you failed a note long time before it was in the judgment zone, when you freestyle drummed. This isn't a problem in TnT and Taikosu.
Also, taikojiro has no mp3 support and maps have to be written with text editor.
In addition to that you can play any osu song in taiko mode, even if they often are pretty....not so good^^ due to the automatic convert
In taikojiro you mostly have authentic TnT maps afaik, but some nice ppl also did map a huge amount of authentic TnT maps for osu too.
Interesting, thanks! TnT is the arcade version, right?
XK2238
yes, and Taikosu derives from it.
Asagi Mutsuki
But Taikojiro has #HBSCROLLLLLLLL /me runs
Luna
HBScroll is like the most infuriating feature in any game ever
Topic Starter
CaptainAhab_old

XK2238 wrote:

yes, and Taikosu derives from it.
That's what I thought, thanks.
POONwing

NoYzE wrote:

You can actually adjust the judgement level in jiro
Also note the difference
Osu: hitting the drum rim (originally for kat) on dons will lead to misses
Jiro: Will ignore the hits on the above case

Adding a lame.exe + lame_enc.dll file can let jiro1 to read .mp3
You can have a graphical editor for jiro if you want, but good mappers usually don't use that
I think Jiro people focus very much on the big picture of the humen/note chart, they won't argue for something like "It's a high note there so ...kat"

Jiro community is a huge community, probably you may not know it well. People make good custom maps too

cdhsausageboy wrote:

But Taikojiro has #HBSCROLLLLLLLL /me runs
Good mappers normally will not do something which harms gameplay

My analysis:
Taikojiro:
-higher degree of freedom (customizing gameplay features + writing humen/notecharts)
-mostly popular among Chinese, Taiwanese and Japanese (And I think their mapping ideology is quite different from mappers of other countries in osu!)
Osu:
-You got the chat and MP << that's why you feel comfortable. For jiro, you have to join other communities else where

If you want to know more, feel free to contact me (but I don't think people other than Chinese and Japanese will like jiro)
Yes, I play jiro too
NoYzE
Yea i guess you are right.
I really don't know much about taikojiro and did get most of my information from taikotime (http://taikotime.blogspot.de/2013/05/fe ... ators.html)

I've tested it for a short duration only and with a limited amount of songs.
I really had trouble to get any information about it, couldn't find any "official" website for taikojiro and song download nor any information pages how it works.

If you don't speak Japanese there is very little information at all about it (or i am not able to find it) :/

This is the reason why i said that i like taikosu more, because you have one website with forum, chat, download, rankings, multiplayer and faq/wiki.
He also was asking for "the best place to be for a new player" and i think that are the reasons that make taikosu really "new-player friendly".

However i would never say taikojiro is bad or something like this, i like it in it's own way :)
POONwing
I've played taiko in all the simulators listed in taiko time except Futoi Taiko no Tatsujin
(I also know well about the mechanism and features of them)

Let me explain more of other taiko simulators which is not written in taiko time website.
http://taikotime.blogspot.de/2013/05/feature-know-your-taiko-simulators.html

Taiko San jiro (太鼓さん次郎)
-is mainly for simulating AC14 or before
-supports loading mp3 if you do something more
-is still a popular simulator after jiro2 is out, since it has fewer system requirements

Taiko San jiro 2 (太鼓さん次郎2)
-is mainly for simulating new arcade/wii etc.

The two above is made by toach: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm5463901 (official release page(Japanese))
Jiro community is big and there are many supporting/supplementary programs of various uses including graphical editors, notechart overview etc.
Jiro is popular in Japan, China and Taiwan

Taiko no Owatatsujin (太鼓のオワタツジン)
-has a result reporting function which is a distinctive feature (copy and pasting play result)
-is extremely convenient since you just need a web browser and flash plugin
-usually has no drum sounds(kats and dons), which makes the definition of good maps different from jiro/osu!taiko where there is drum sounds

It is made by S.K: http://www.geocities.jp/syun_k765/flash/owatatsu/ (official release page(Japanese))
It is not yet dead after jiro is released because the community is big (like this one: http://tera.zouri.jp/owata/ (Japanese))
It is mainly popular in Japan.

Taiko San-Nantoka (太鼓さんなんとか)
-is suspected that the program extracts data from wii (therefore it can be a complete replicate of wii)

It is made by AF, and it is not being officially released any more. The creator said that he's not releasing and updating it any more as there are too many people passing around authentic songs data which has caught attention

Futoi tsuzumi no Tatsujin (太い鼓の達人) [the pronunciation is not officially stated]
It is made by banan, http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm15578929 (video, the releasing link is broken now, you may want to check that later) using C language and DX library. And it is not being updated since 2011. I guess that program is meant to be a joke and challenges those who said "taiko is easy".
--------------------
More about using songs to make taiko charts
Maybe you are not aware of that. Using songs to make taiko charts can be considered as a "derivative work".
(If you don't know the term "derivative work", search it in the net)
Posting a song elsewhere in the net without getting permission from the composer, rigorously speaking, is illegal in some sense.
And also, posting "authentic songs" from TnT with the "authentic note chart" is not really a derivative work. It is pure copying. That's even more serious than posting a custom map of a non-authentic song.
In Japan, people avoid posting data of authentic songs (they call them black songs)

I don't know the policy for osu! and I don't know if peppy has got some warnings from elsewhere. But I must say that the thing I mention here is in grey area in most cases.
--------------------
--------------------
All the simulators above only provide you with the gameplay frame, you have to customize it in order to make it more like "authentic" taiko. You can get the image files from many other websites.
NoYzE
Thank you very much.
I think this will help many other people too :)
Ub6r
Maijoro was out but recently shut down sorry :f but another games like taikojiro are fun, plus theres games like OSU! Mania that other people like.
andrey774
I Like Taikojiro And All The Other Taiko Games!!!!!!!
lolcubes

POONwing wrote:

Taiko no Owatatsujin (太鼓のオワタツジン)
-has a result reporting function which is a distinctive feature (copy and pasting play result)
-is extremely convenient since you just need a web browser and flash plugin
-usually has no drum sounds(kats and dons), which makes the definition of good maps different from jiro/osu!taiko where there is drum sounds

It is made by S.K: http://www.geocities.jp/syun_k765/flash/owatatsu/ (official release page(Japanese))
It is not yet dead after jiro is released because the community is big (like this one: http://tera.zouri.jp/owata/ (Japanese))
It is mainly popular in Japan.
I was using owata for a while, however it doesn't seem to be working anymore. Is there anything similar? I can't understand Japanese so searching for it is a bit difficult.
i dun
what about taiko san nantoka
Quang Deviluke
How about TJAplayer 3 ??