[Information] Difficulty Spread Naming

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Avena
*ENHIX = Easy Normal Hard Insane Extra/Expert

Introduction

Hey guys, Priti here.
I am here to explain about a common thing I see; unmatching difficulty spreads, This happens extremely frequently, especially in maps by newer mappers since a lot of times they don't know the sources of the difficulty names.
There are a whole lot of difficulty spreads nowdays, there is the typical osu! spread being Easy -> Normal -> Hard -> Insane -> Extra/Expert which most of know, but for example, a lot of people don't know what "Overdose" or "EXHAUST" mean.
Some people use their own difficulty namings, But for newer mappers its more recommended to stick to the basics.
Also, please note that none of this is official (except for the non-osu!mania basic namings), This is mostly how things are commonly used, so some things might be different from their origin.

The Basics

Here I will go over the basic difficulty spreads of osu! and it's three companion game modes.

osu!
  1. Easy
  2. Normal
  3. Hard
  4. Insane
  5. Extra/Expert
Taiko
  1. Kantan
  2. Futsuu
  3. Muzukashii
  4. Oni
  5. Inner Oni/Ura Oni
Catch The Beat
  1. Cup
  2. Salad
  3. Platter
  4. Rain
  5. Overdose
osu!mania
  1. EZ
  2. NM
  3. HD
  4. MX
  5. SC
Alternatives and Additions

These are different variations of the standard spreads, usually unused but sometimes they are needed.

osu!
  1. Beginner: In an ENHIX spread, it means the lowest level, even easier than Easy.
  2. Medium: In an ENHIX spread, it's a difficulty that is between Normal and Hard.
  3. Hyper: In an ENHIX spread, it usually means an Advanced Hard (Also known as Light Insane)
  4. Extreme: Pretty uncommon, but it's higher than Extra/Expert.
  5. Ultra: A difficulty name originally used by the mapper Avena, indicates a difficulty that is far beyond an Expert and expresses the song to its' full extent.
  6. Marathon: Map that is over 5 minutes of Drain Time and got ranked through the Approval system (Applies to all modes)
Catch The Beat
  1. Deluge: When there are two Overdose difficulties in a single set, the harder of the two will usually be called Deluge.
Beatmania IIDX

Difficulty spread inspired by Beatmania IIDX, heavily recommended to only use in maps for songs from there (This also works for BMS songs)

1. Beginner
  2. Normal
  3. Hyper
  4. Another
  5. Black Another

SOUND VOLTEX

Difficulty spread inspired by SOUND VOLTEX, heavily recommended to only use in maps for songs from there. (This also works for K-Shoot songs)

1. BASIC
  2. NOVICE
  3. ADVANCED
  4. EXHAUST
SOUND VOLTEX Specials

Every SDVX game features a different name for special difficult charts., which is recommended to use when mapping a song from the respective game.
  1. SOUND VOLTEX BOOTH - None
  2. SOUND VOLTEX II -infinite infection- - INFINITE
  3. SOUND VOLTEX III GRAVITY WARS - GRAVITY
  4. SOUND VOLTEX IV HEAVENLY HAVEN - HEAVENLY (Respective to GRAVITY and INFINITE) or MAXIMUM (Counts as a regular chart, just like NOVICE, ADVANCED and EXHAUST)
Touhou

Difficulty spread inspired by Touhou, heavily recommended to only use in maps for songs from there.

1. Easy
  2. Normal
  3. Hard
  4. Lunatic
  5. Extra
Pop'n Music

Difficulty spread inspired by Pop'n Music, heavily recommended to only use in maps for songs from there.

1. Easy
  2. Normal
  3. Hyper
  4. Ex
In The Groove

Difficulty spread inspired by In The Groove, highly recommended when you map songs from there, or anything related to it.

1. Novice/Easy
  2. Medium
  3. Hard
  4. Expert
=====================================================================

I hope this helps anyone, comments and feedback will be heavily appreciated!
If I forgot anything or messed up something, please tell me.
DenoisoGoiso
omg
why just osu!mania and standard is variate names hue
also thanks for this!
Kytoxid
Neat. Thanks for doing this. Pinned.

Might be worth making a note somewhere that some people use custom spread names for their difficulty spreads, and Marathon is a special difficulty name that allows enlarged file sizes iirc, for approval maps with length > 6 minutes.

Some people also use Beginner/Light/Standard/Heavy/Challenge for DDR/StepMania maps, but I'm not sure how usage is nowadays.
Topic Starter
Avena

Kytoxid wrote:

Neat. Thanks for doing this. Pinned.

Might be worth making a note somewhere that some people use custom spread names for their difficulty spreads, and Marathon is a special difficulty name that allows enlarged file sizes iirc, for approval maps with length > 6 minutes.

Some people also use Beginner/Light/Standard/Heavy/Challenge for DDR/StepMania maps, but I'm not sure how usage is nowadays.
Added Marathon and a line about usermade spreads~
I will so some research about DR and Stepmania.
dennischan
First time for Priti to write a polite post lol
congrats
DenoisoGoiso

Priti wrote:

Pop'n Music

Difficulty spread inspired by Pop'n Music, heavily recommended to only use in maps for songs from there.

osu!
  1. Rust
  2. Bronze
  3. Silver
  4. Chrome
  5. Gold
  6. Platinum
Can you add it at Pop'n music, priti? :/
_koinuri
You should move the note about writing the number of keys in difficulty name for osu!mania to the beginning. I think it's important enough to be in the intro.

Also for Ura Oni, people sometimes use English and put Inner Oni.
DenoisoGoiso

Loli -[Koinuri] wrote:

Also for Ura Oni, people sometimes use English and put Inner Oni.
Maybe in english is "Hell oni"?
also name it "Ura/Hell/Inner Oni" xD
_koinuri
Official English Taiko no Tatsujin use Inner Oni for Ura Oni (I'm pretty sure, but couldn't get any source to confirm).

I just looked up "Hell Oni" in osu!, and I only have 1 map with that difficulty name (http://osu.ppy.sh/b/102527). Maybe I'm just not downloading taiko maps enough.

In order of the most to least used difficulty name: Inner Oni, Ura Oni, then Hell Oni.
All the new ones I download uses Inner Oni instead of Ura Oni, so there's probably a rule for taiko mapping to use Inner Oni instead now.
Topic Starter
Avena

DenoisoGoiso wrote:

But "Collab" diff name? please add "Collab" diff name at Alternatives and Additions ;)
That ain't rankable anymore, so no.
And Inner Oni = Ura Oni, but Inner is more common in osu!
_koinuri

Priti wrote:

DenoisoGoiso wrote:

But "Collab" diff name? please add "Collab" diff name at Alternatives and Additions ;)
That ain't rankable anymore, so no.
And Inner Oni = Ura Oni, but Inner is more common in osu!
I know, just thought you should add that to the list.

edit: lol nvm, I'm just stupid, was reading in weird order.
IamKwaN
Great Post!
Ayesha Altugle
Extra difficulty in mania

NOTE: Badly photoshopped
Topic Starter
Avena

vahn10 wrote:

Extra difficulty in mania

NOTE: Badly photoshopped
omg ty <3
Kazuya
Classic music:

Adagio
Moderato
Allegro
Vivace
Prestissimo
Yuzeyun
In The Groove

Difficulty spread inspired by In The Groove, highly recommended when you map songs from there, or anything related to it.

osu!
  1. Novice, Easy - depends on the difficulty
  2. Medium
  3. Hard
  4. Expert
osu!mania
  1. Novice
  2. Easy
  3. Medium
  4. Hard
  5. Expert
okamiratsu
I'm curious what was the issue with special named difficulties?, don't the stars help tell you how hard the diff is?
Asagi Mutsuki
no they don't. (at least for now)

and special named difficulties will fit the origin of the song better
Sylviath
I've heard of mania's
SHD
Fever
Well, and what about the "Level XX"?
Nice post :D
Dolphin
for beatmania; its Normal, not Standard. Extra is not a difficulty, it's just an extra song you get to play. Correct "Extra" difficulty name would be Black Another.
and for Pop'n Music, its Ex, nothing more.
show more